• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Survivor, Round IV

Which die won't be part of the trio in round 5?

• d6. They're not fancy enough.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • d8. They're in the game just because Gygax & Arneson were lazy.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • d10. They're unclean. Just unclean.

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • d20. They aren't a damage die anymore since the monks were revised.

Votes: 10 7.2%

orsal

LEW Judge
Gez said:
And the Math Teacher Award goes to Orsal, who demonstrated to us why the d10 is unclean and need to be voted off ASAP:

Funny, I thought I was explaining why it doesn't matter that it isn't regular. It's just as useful as a die.

I'm tempted not to vote it out just to contradict your attempt to claim my endorsement. But on reflection, I have to admit that it's the best choice for elimination now. Most of my D&D playing was back in the early 80s, with the dice we got with the Basic boxed set (although I mostly played AD&D), and I never felt any lack of a d10 that actually had only 10 sides. The d20 worked fine for the purpose. Since in a fit of collective misguidedness we have already eliminated the d12, the d6 is now indispensable, and it's easier to use a d20 to simulate a d10 than vice versa. So, this may be the best time to go all Platonic-solid.

Oh, and thanks for the award. I've been hoping one of these days I will get an award as a math teacher, but always thought it would come from my university, on the basis of student evaluations, and not from someone posting on a website who only knows me by the name of a Fighting Man --> Human Fighter I used to play over 20 years ago.

mostholy2

First Post
Agreement with old school D&Ders. When we started playing, d10 wasn't even in existence. We just used the d20 that was marked 1-0 on opposing sides and personally colored in (with permanent marker) the numbers that were +10.

Even when d10 came to be, I never liked it. Always just stuck with the d20, even after they added the additional 10's place for 11-20.

Gez

First Post
orsal said:
Funny, I thought I was explaining why it doesn't matter that it isn't regular. It's just as useful as a die.

Yes, but you still used all the correct mathematical words I was too lazy to search in French-English dictionaries to explain why d10 aren't members of the same club as d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20. :)

Anyway, you don't even need any sort of transitivity for a gaming die. The "cylinder" type of dice is a proof. (A cylindrical d20 will have 40 sides, ten on the left part, ten on the right part, and 20 in the middle. It can't land on the left- or right-part's sides, because this puts its center of gravity outside of its base, making it fall.)

RigaMortus

Explorer
d6 may be common, but it is also the original! Get rid of the d6, and you might as well get rid of the Wright Brothers, Hulk Hogan or Run DMC...

You can't get rid of d20, the entire system collapses if you do!

That leaves d8 and d10...

I say get rid of d8 only because... well... d10 is higher?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads