• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diceless Role-Playing with my Girlfriend

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Diceless is fun

A bouncing D20 is fun too

I actually really enjoy the whole 'collaborative' story approach that you describe above in which me as DM am only one character amongst many and am quite happy when the unexpected happens.

I've run diceless combats. And I've used cards too (High cad wins damage = difference in card value (eg a 8 beats a 5 for 3 damage) but generally diceless works with very few combat enounters and requires a group of story orientated Role-play actress types to work well and not go down to

Bang Bang Your DEAD
No I'm not, I dodged it
Yeah but I shot you twice
I'm wearing super-armour
No your not
Yes I am...

Wolfspider

Explorer
Quickbeam said:
Wolfspider:
I'm glad the diceless gaming has worked so well for you, but I'm even happier to see that you've rebounded for the doldrums which overtake you in the recent past. Cheers for you, mate!!

Thanks! I am feeling a whole lot better lately...physically and mentally. :D

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Diceless RPing is not for me. I could play a PC diceless, but it would be a one-off. I won't DM diceless.

Dice distribute power. Without them, either the DM is always making arbitrary decisions, or players have control over NPCs.

Dice create tension. When a PC has a 40 seconds to get through the window or the entire plan falls appart, and he has failed his first two attempts with 10 second rounds, everyone, DM including, is hanging on the next roll, and no-one knows what the outcome will be. Without dice, someone is making an arbitrary decision. Everyone knows the outcome has already been determined.

Dice send plotlines in places that would seem completely contrived without them. Whether its six goblins forcing the party to flee because three of them crit every round and the players are all fumbling; or the average party level 4 group survives the flame strike, the two dire wolves AND then pummels your Sorcerer 5 Druid 8 major NPC plot device, these things are hard to believe if you can't see the die rolls as they occur.

Anyway, I have no problem with people who enjoy diceless. It's just not my thing. Of course, if I were in your position, Wolfspider, I'm sure I'd be as taken with the whole concept as you....;)

Shadowdancer

First Post
I attended a gaming expo this weekend, and one of the sessions I participated in turned into a mostly diceless role-playing session. There were only two combats in the entire four and a half hours of role-playing. Everything else was almost completely diceless role-playing. It was a blast. But it worked because we all knew that was how it was going to be when we signed up for the session, and we all were willing to make it work because it sounded like fun.

But I can't see giving up dice for an entire campaign. And I can't see doing major combats without dice.

Methinkus

First Post
I couldn’t be happier for you amigo, you’ve found someone who seems to enjoy many of the same activities as you ;) and who brings something special to each game (also ;))

Now I would hope that this goes without saying, since I’m sure you’re a smart guy and all, but I feel like saying it nonetheless . . . .whatever you do just don’t kill her character. Ever. Don’t dirty the experience for her, and besides everyone loves a happy ending. Definitely let her have some close calls, have her fail at skill checks or saves and whatnot, but don’t kill her. That would be bad. BAD!

Remove ads