• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did a FLGS introduce you to the hobby?

How were you introduced to the hobby?

• A FLGS or other retailer

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Friends, family, acquiantances

Votes: 93 67.9%
  • Media (advertising, articles, news shows)

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 13.9%

eris404

Explorer
buzz said:
Over on the Hero Games boards, I've been in a discussion about whether FLGS's are necesary to the continued healthy of gaming as a hobby, and if puchasing from online retailers is somehow "harmful", i.e., putting these supposed gathering places out of business, and, ergo, "killing the hobby."

So, I'm asking you. Did a FLGS actually bring you into the hobby? Or, like me, was it a friend or acquaintance? Or some other means entirely?

I actually saw an article in a scholastic magazine that got my interest and my mom made sure I got the red box set as a birthday present. We did have a local hobby store, though, and a very nice gentleman ran it for many years. I used to walk there with my sister to buy new modules and whatnot almost every Saturday, so in a way, he did nuture my hobby habit. Eventually the RPG section of the store faded to nothing and I didn't find another store until I moved for college.

So, I guess in my experience the short answer is "not really." :)

Salad Shooter

First Post
I voted Friends etc...I was introduced back in middle school (uh...8 or so years ago?) with a hack and slash game of 2e. I think I played a ranger, who switched classes to cleric after a session or two (yes, just plain up and switched, we needed a cleric). I then hadn't played forever until I picked up a 1e game with my current GM, left that game for a couple years, came back about 4 years ago with my current GM, and since then have played multiple systems, including WoD, Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, 2e AD&D, 3e D&D, multiple d20 games...yeah...all because of one little pickup game with friends. 'Course, it may have been for the worse...I mean...all this money I've spent on books, and the several hours a day I spend on Enworld...but who's counting?

Yokiboy

First Post
I found a copy of Drakar & Demoner (Swedish RPG) at my local toy store. The store operators had no idea what it was about, but the game manufacturer had an excellent distributor at the time, and managed to get RPGs into mainstream stores.

After this however, it was definitely a local game store that kept me in the hobby, and me poor during my teenage years. :p

The game store in question was affiliated with the manufacturers of the first handful of Swedish RPGs, and also organized several conventions. I have nothing but good words for what they did to get me into the hobby -- my wife might have a few choice words for them though! :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Ferret

Explorer
Before I explain my vote what is FLGS?

I voted other, I was first interested in D&D through the games Baldurs gate I&II, I then proceeded to Game Banshee, after a while I worked my way into Wizards of the Coast Forums I got into creating creatures, and spells, without playing a single game. I was then approach by my friend who had talked to my Maths teacher whilst I was sick, who had played Baldurs gate I & II, and also D&D. We soon arranged to play the game.

I also followed a link about a gnomes diary here.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
buzz said:
...whether FLGS's are necesary to the continued healthy of gaming as a hobby, and if puchasing from online retailers is somehow "harmful", i.e., putting these supposed gathering places out of business, and, ergo, "killing the hobby."
I don't know. In some areas where a store is hanging on to it's existance.. perhaps. But when the next economic downturn happens, maybe that store would have gone out of business anyway?

I think a (note the qualifiers) well-run, clean, helpful FLGS is a big boost to the people already in the hobby especially if some (not too disruptive) gaming is being run in the front area; people can see what's being done and see people having fun doing it. It's free advertising for popular games. I've purchased several board games and some miniatures after watching gameplay, then sitting down and participating.

I've never seen an RPG sold in this manner, though, and the survival of the RPG's is the only thing I care about.

I try to support the FLGS when I can, but it gets more difficult every year. I just purchased Unearthed Arcana through the B&N website. Would I have bought the same book at the FLGS? Not at all. It's $5.00 more than the PHB for 100 fewer pages. It makes no sense to purchase it at full retail.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Like most, I was introduced by a friend.
Exclusive game stores are not going to bring someone new into the hobby. People come into a game store because they already play games. However, we do help expose gamers to the larger community of gamers. Further, I believe the FLGS is where many people learn their SECOND game.
At least that is my experience. YMMV.

Nope, I was introduced to the game when my Mom got me the Basic Set for my 10th birthday back in 1982. I believe she originally saw it in an advertisement in a kids science magazine that I used to get called "Odyssey".

Treebore

First Post
The only thing LGS's have been good for is finding other gamers, especially when you move. That is about the only thing I find them good for. Another stupid thing LGS's do is concentrate on RPG's, CCG's, and comics. Stock diversity into other market areas wouldn't hurt.

Gamers tend to have similiar interests outside of gaming, providing a store that sells to their gaming needs as well as other similiar needs makes a store much more viable.

For example, an LGS that sells Dragon paraphenalia, including statues, plus rents video/DVD's related to Anime/Horror/Adventure, New Age books and other stuff, and any other fantasy/sci-fi/anime related products you can find.
My last LGS made a lot of money off of me on Gundam models that are hard to find outside of Walmart/Toys R Us/ etc... Plus a set of networked computers to on-line play the various computer games, head to head with your buddy/ies.

Diversity is the way to survival. If they do not have the business acumen to do so I have no sympathy for them.

Wombat

First Post
Err, I guess I was introduced via a FNGS -- Friendly Non-Local Game Store.

Back in 1976, there were no FLGS in my town (or even nearby).

Brookhurst Hobbies had been supplying my miniatures gaming needs for several years prior, so when they advertised D&D (rather obliquely, but it was very, very hard to explain the game back then), I bit.

So FNGS and blind luck introduced me ;)

Remove ads