• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did anyone here come into gaming *through* computers?

Henry

Autoexreginated
apparently, der Kluge, the answer is, "pretty darned common occurance." :) I have one guy whose intro came through a combination of Neverwinter Nights and Magic the Gathering (the card game version). He started with computer games, started playing only Magic with our group, and then got curious enough about all the D&D humor and recollections we were throwing around to give it a try. He's recently DM'ed for the first time, and is one of our most diehard members, now. :)

Rhun

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I loved Pong, but after a while it just wasn't fulfilling. Move the paddle up, move it down, that was about it. I wanted to something where I was more in control, maybe be able to move left and right as well. When I discovered I could move my character in any direction in D&D, I was hooked.

QFT!

I got into playing D&D about 1981-82...there wasn't much in the way of video games back then. Guess you could say I'm an old timer! Closest thing I can think of was an Atari game called Adventure (I think). You were a square cursor that could get a line-shaped sword and fight a pixelated dragon.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Henry said:
apparently, der Kluge, the answer is, "pretty darned common occurance." :) I have one guy whose intro came through a combination of Neverwinter Nights and Magic the Gathering (the card game version). He started with computer games, started playing only Magic with our group, and then got curious enough about all the D&D humor and recollections we were throwing around to give it a try. He's recently DM'ed for the first time, and is one of our most diehard members, now. :)

Yea, but there's a fair amount of people mentioned really *old* games like Sega Genesis games and Pools of Radiance.

I'm really more interested in people who played EQ or WoW and then moved into Tabletop stuff. I haven't seen anyone mention those yet. Quite a number of votes for BG and NWN, though, so that's pretty surprising.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Rhun said:
QFT!

I got into playing D&D about 1981-82...there wasn't much in the way of video games back then. Guess you could say I'm an old timer! Closest thing I can think of was an Atari game called Adventure (I think). You were a square cursor that could get a line-shaped sword and fight a pixelated dragon.

That was an <- shaped sword, thank you very much!

3dfx1.gif

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I got into D&D via Final Fantasy. I started with the videogame, and then learned that I could have these adventures with my friend without having to be bored by fighting wave after wave of spiders trying to save up for silver swords.

I played D&D within a week. I beat Final Fantasy....I think two years ago. :)

Gooba42

First Post
I played EQ before I played D&D, that count?

Started with Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy NES-era stuff, on to PCs with Hero's Quest (later Quest For Glory), King's Quest, The Sierra Network (later the ImagiNation Network)'s version of Betrayal At Krondor continuing through Final Fantasy is pretty much every incarnation, then The Realm to EQ to Neverwinter Nights to City Of Heroes to D&D tabletop through a work friend who was absolutely obsessed with recruiting me to play his (badly run) game.

So for all the console and PC RPG experience, it was still a chance acquaintance who led me to the tabletop.

Ferrum

First Post
I too got the free Dragon Warrior with a subscription to Nintendo Power.

When I was in my early teens, I decided to buy the 2E core 3, and never played them. Honestly, I don't know what spurred me on to buy them.

I got Menzoberranzan for the computer, and never got very far with it.

I played Magic:The Gathering, a lot.

When I was in training school for the Air Force I got into a 2E game that lasted 3 sessions.
I ran a 2E game a year later that lasted 1 session.

I played Everquest for 6 years, and as time moved on I desperately wanted to find a game just like it, but with infinite possibility. I knew I could only get that in Pencil & paper RPGs.

Then 2 years after I quit Everquest, my current DM asked me if I'd like to give D&D a go. I've been playing that campaign for 2 years now.

Short answer: I dunno how the hell I got into gaming. I think I was born this way.

Stormborn

Explorer
The first RPGs I played were CRPGs, back in the days when Final Fantasy was on the nintendo and Super Nintendo, and later some on PC. I wouldn't say they were what brought me to table top gaming, it was something I always wanted to try and never got the chance to until later in life, but they were my first experiance with roleplaying games.

Remove ads