• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did I do something wrong?

Noctem

Explorer
If he's playing AL, he might not be able to rework his character. Once you hit level 5 you're locked in.

Possibly, but if there's downright vocal anger at the table and you're running the game you can either warn all the players for code of conduct violations or get to the root of the problem. Giving warnings won't solve anything imo, it might in fact make things worse. But really the first step here is figuring out exactly what the problem is. Talking together as a group can give the OP that info and from there, the group can work together to solve the problem(s). Working together to make other characters a little more competitive at the table is one option, toning down the OP's character is another, or both and even none. I am interested in seeing what the results are after an open discussion though.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Maybe we're playing Dawnbringer wrong but +2/+2 and +1d8 to undead doesn't sound like crazy damage (it is very good).

It's probably the ability to blow smites like crazy. For most of OotA a paladin is a very strong character since they can just about unload every fight.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Possibly, but if there's downright vocal anger at the table and you're running the game you can either warn all the players for code of conduct violations or get to the root of the problem. Giving warnings won't solve anything imo, it might in fact make things worse. But really the first step here is figuring out exactly what the problem is. Talking together as a group can give the OP that info and from there, the group can work together to solve the problem(s). Working together to make other characters a little more competitive at the table is one option, toning down the OP's character is another, or both and even none. I am interested in seeing what the results are after an open discussion though.
Right. Definitely need to find out the real problem by talking it out. But solutions like character changes might be off the table due to level and AL rules. At least until level up where spells could be swapped or the other characters could make better build choices.

However, there's nothing stopping the OP from making suboptimal play choices, I suppose. Though that might not be fun for him, and I wonder what they would say if he stopped tanking and healing and dpsing. Lol He could pull an Achilles, I suppose, and sit in the back while they get wiped.

Darkmantle26

First Post
So I met with my group again, but they claimed their reaction had nothing to do with me being powerful or the party leader, I'm thinking that they got confused or zoned off in the middle of combat and didn't pay attention to who actually killed it? Well, their not mad anymore, I guess that's a plus

pdegan2814

First Post
So I met with my group again, but they claimed their reaction had nothing to do with me being powerful or the party leader, I'm thinking that they got confused or zoned off in the middle of combat and didn't pay attention to who actually killed it? Well, their not mad anymore, I guess that's a plus

If you don't want to belabor the issue that's totally up to you, though it's still confusing. Their behavior as you described it in your initial post made absolutely zero sense. Hopefully they won't do anything that odd again. If they do, I'd be tempted to press the virtual pause button for a "Seriously, WTF?" conversation before moving forward.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads