• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did the Brits do it better?

Greg K

Legend
I liked the Saltmarsh series, but the others were never a blip on the radar among anyone I knew.

On the other hand, the modules ,other than Saltmarsh, that we thought highly of were the following: Ravenloft, the Desert of Desolation series, the Lendore Isle series, the Village of Hommlet, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, the first few Dragonlance modules, Keep on the Borderlands and the Isle of Dread, and the Drow Series (D1-D3)

And, I pretty much despised the Fiend Folio (as someone else stated, the best things were compiled from American modules). Until coming here to ENWorld, I never knew there were people that thought highly of it.

Based upon, this I would say, "No".

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
As a general rule I preferred the UK modules of that era. My top favourites of all time were probably

Sentinel & Gauntlet - iconic imagery of magic gloves, interesting locations and an actual castle defence.

When a Star Falls - memory web was a fantastic intro to the adventure, and who won't like prophecy plus monks?

Dark Clouds Gather - assault on a cloud giant castle in the clouds? how iconic a traditional fantasy adventure could that be?

These were all characterised by bags of atmosphere; that was what made them stand out for me at the time.

Cheers

I have very fond memories of running both Beyond the Crystal Cave and All That Glitters as a teenager. One summer at camp I ran All That Glitters three times for three different groups of kids and councilors.

I'm excited that Wizards is updating Beyond the Crystal Cave for 4E.

the Jester

Legend
I never read nor played the UK modules, but I love the U series and think it's one of the best low-level adventures out there.

Also, the Fiend Folio rules.

JeffB

Legend
I LOVED Saltmarsh as a standalone- the other two didn't (nor still do ) much for me.

Fiend Folio, gets an "A"! :D

By the time the TSR UK stuff really started rolling out, I was not playing D&D too often. By then RQ, CoC, MSPE, and Justice, Inc were taking up all my gaming time.

And frankly, I had not been happy with the recent quality/direction of TSR modules/product, and I pretty much stopped buying newer D&D items.

Jack7

First Post
Actually, you guys do it with a funny accent. We're better villains.

Yeah, but if it weren't for Shakespeare I'll betcha the Brits would still be speaking English.

But more seriously, I've noticed that when Brits write on fantasy subjects they tend, generally speaking, to do a better job of it than Americans.

I think this is because they have a real set of myths, and we have folklore and superheroes. And the Brits have real poetry, and we have modern stuff.

Remove ads