• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Did the DMG2 give back Spell Research to 4E?

N0Man

First Post
I finally got a copy of the DMG2 in the mail yesterday, and as I thumbed through the Alternative Rewards chapter, a thought occurred to me. The description and example provided for Grand Master Training could be trivial to re-fluff in order to mimic Spell Research in order to create new Encounter or Daily spells.

Of course, with the permission of the DM, someone could invent their own power and trade it for one of their existing power slots, but refluffing an alternative reward allows one to do so without house rules or losing an existing power.

Do you guys think this would work well for this?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I finally got a copy of the DMG2 in the mail yesterday, and as I thumbed through the Alternative Rewards chapter, a thought occurred to me. The description and example provided for Grand Master Training could be trivial to re-fluff in order to mimic Spell Research in order to create new Encounter or Daily spells.

Of course, with the permission of the DM, someone could invent their own power and trade it for one of their existing power slots, but refluffing an alternative reward allows one to do so without house rules or losing an existing power.

Do you guys think this would work well for this?

I do, and I think that would be a great use for the Alternate Rewards chapter.

I think you could do that, sure. I don't think its mutually exclusive with making up new powers necessarily but it seems like it would work fine. Its an interesting idea anyway.

Spell research is mainly ritual research now.

But i would not be opposed if a character gets a never seen power from a grandmaster, which he can retrain in immediately or just use in place of a different power of this level or above. And i would certainly not limit it to spells.

Also it may be possible to make it a daily magical item use power. I generally don´t like it if training makes you forget older tricks.

It can. But ritual research is easier to balance... and actually more important^^

Hmmm, well, rituals won't directly impact combat balance. On the other hand that doesn't necessarily mean they are easier to balance in an overall sense. Even the existing rituals can be tricky and sometimes problematic. Its the sort of "world changing" nature of rituals that gets slippery. They can seem innocuous in the sense of individual applications, but their implications can still be pretty crazy. The worst a badly designed combat spell can do is let a PC punch above his weight.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
That's a great idea for an Alternate Rewards campaign.

Divine-dudes get presents from their patron, Arcane-dudes get results from their research.

Thanks, -- N

WalterKovacs

First Post
Also it may be possible to make it a daily magical item use power. I generally don´t like it if training makes you forget older tricks.

With the concept of "boons" it would fit quite well. Basically a new power (at-will, encounter or daily) that is attached to the boon and works like an item power, but without an item "attached" to it. (The daily power would still interact with daily item power usage limits, but otherwise adds without a need of retraining).

Hmmm, well, rituals won't directly impact combat balance. On the other hand that doesn't necessarily mean they are easier to balance in an overall sense. Even the existing rituals can be tricky and sometimes problematic. Its the sort of "world changing" nature of rituals that gets slippery. They can seem innocuous in the sense of individual applications, but their implications can still be pretty crazy. The worst a badly designed combat spell can do is let a PC punch above his weight.
Ritual with world shattering components are not known to most, have rare components and need a lot of time to master. Its easy to add in other requirements...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads