• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Yep. I pre-ordered mine so I got mine on day 1. Read 'em, loaned them out to my fellow gamers, who also read 'em.

They are unused. Not a one of us in 13 gamers in 2 groups cared for it.
I wonder how many people who have read the Fourth Edition rules and didn't care for the game have still gone on to try it, as it seems you haven't.

Ginnel

Explorer
Yup bought them on release

and yes I am mature enough not to make snide comments along with my reply

Opps failed ;)

Gilladian

Adventurer
I said "No" to your poll, but it isn't quite true. I reluctantly bought the PH. I hve not bought either of the other core books, nor do I have any intention of doing so. I will never run 4e. I play in ONE campaign online; only because the person running the game chose 4e over my objections.

Your poll fails to take into account people who bought just ONE book.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Yes, got the gift set from Amazon, and haven't looked back. My 3.5 collection just gets mined for maps and ideas now. My 3.5 group has switched over to 4e and is running a converted ToEE. I started a second group and recruited more players that have never TT-RPG'd before. So far, so good.

4e is really a game that plays better than it reads. There are many sessions where we don't have to open any of the core books (running the WotC H-series). There are so many reasons why I wouldn't play 3.5 again, let alone DM.

I'm surprised to see so many people here not enjoying 4e. If EN World isn't the 4e board of choice, does someone know where they are gathering?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Same here. Three books plus box, with the box holding enough negative value to make the books quite cheap.

"Toxic Box Assets", -- N

This goes along with the theory that a diet soda cancels out all the calories in your meal. Or something like that.

I bought the box set, too (thanks, Amazon!), and have made a few 1st-level characters. (No one locally to play it with, though, and right now I don't have the mental bandwidth to learn it well enough to DM it.)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Yes.

Followed the previews and teasers religiously. Loved almost every thing that was presented in those previews and teasers. I was probably anticipating this edition even more eagerly than I did 3E. Got my books in the mail, opened them up, started reading and...pthhhhhhhht (sound of baloon deflating).

However, not a complete loss. I feel that most of the ideas presented in the previews and teasers are still very good ideas. I've attempted to apply quite a few of them to my houseruled 3.5 game. I've kept the core 4E books because they are still a good example of how to execute some of those ideas, especially powers (which I've added some to my 3.5E classes, in a more limited manner than 4E, as "special maneuvers"). Adding some of these concepts to 3E has made my game closer to what 4E should have been, even more than 4E itself is to what 4E should have been (or at least what I thought 4E should have been).

But, even though I haven't switched (as I selected for the other poll), I did buy the core books (as I selected for this poll), which as far as WoTC is concerned is probably all that matters (except for supplemental 4E material, which I'll address in the companion poll).

Wow! I've taken so many polls lately I may have to start paying Poll Tax!

Hi! That matches my own experience as well, except that I haven't gotten as far as adopting any features into my current 3.5E game. I have the three core books, and all of the modules, but none of the additional books (Vault, MOTP, MP), and I don't have a DDI membership.

I find the new edition to be ... meh ... but am always on the lookout for new ideas. Can you post any details about what bits of 4E you have applied to your 3.5E game?

I have wondered how hard (or easy) it is to adjust the updated monsters back to 3.5E. Seems to be a simple formulaic adjustment to the numbers, and some tweaks to the powers. But, the updated monsters seem like they would be pretty easy to adapt backwards to 3.5E. I do wish they had repackaged the 4E MM into a PDF generator that spits out cards for each of the monsters, and a separate PDF with all of the fluff. Lots of dead trees in that there 4E MM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads