• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

Did You Buy the First Three 4e Core Books?

kitsune9

Adventurer
Kind of a simple question really. Did you buy the first three 4e core books? If somebody got them for you as a gift that would count as a yes vote also.

I purchased them online.

[Edit]Here a companion poll on 4e supplements.

Sam

I bought the 4e core books and got an okay deal (only 20% off). Another one of my players also bought the core set too and got a good deal (around $50 for all three books) and he whines about that. Two out of the five of us got the books, but we ended going with Pathfinder as it seemed to be more our cup of tea.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Yes, from an FLGS, at launch.

The Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide are two of the best purchases I've ever made.

I arguably regret buying the Monster Manual, although I do enjoy it; between the D&D Compendium on DDI and the brilliant monster creation rules in the DMG, the physical Monster Manual is close to redundant. The only uses for it seem to be the illustrations and if I need a group of monsters generated on the fly at the table.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder how many people who have read the Fourth Edition rules and didn't care for the game have still gone on to try it, as it seems you haven't.

I don't know, but most of the ones I know who did just that are among the most experienced gamers I know.

As I stated elsewhere, I've been playing since '77, have played in over 100 systems, and have playtest experience. I think I gave it a fair shake.

You could feel at this point that I may be a stick-in-the-mud who simply doesn't like change, but I must also say that my rejection of 4Ed marks only the second time a game I liked had a revision I rejected. The other was HERO's flirtation with the FUZION system.

The worst of it for me, though, was that, not only did I pre-order, I was actually looking forward to the revision based on certain early press releases. As further press releases followed, however, I began to have concerns about my purchase. When I finally got my hands on it, I had full-on buyer's remorse.

Aeolius

Adventurer
You could feel at this point that I may be a stick-in-the-mud who simply doesn't like change, but I must also say that my rejection of 4Ed marks only the second time a game I liked had a revision I rejected.

For me it was 2e. I didn't care for the 2e core rules, so I happily kept playing 1e until 3e came along and won me over. I will now happily keep playing 3.5e/OGL until 5e comes along, at which time I will pick up the core rules and look them over.

Festivus

First Post
I arguably regret buying the Monster Manual, although I do enjoy it; between the D&D Compendium on DDI and the brilliant monster creation rules in the DMG, the physical Monster Manual is close to redundant. The only uses for it seem to be the illustrations and if I need a group of monsters generated on the fly at the table.

I almost agree with you. The monster manual has replaced Dragon and Dungeon as my bathroom reading literature, but for actual play, I don't bring it or anything but the PHB.

Roland55

First Post
I don't know, but most of the ones I know who did just that are among the most experienced gamers I know.

As I stated elsewhere, I've been playing since '77, have played in over 100 systems, and have playtest experience. I think I gave it a fair shake.

You could feel at this point that I may be a stick-in-the-mud who simply doesn't like change, but I must also say that my rejection of 4Ed marks only the second time a game I liked had a revision I rejected. The other was HERO's flirtation with the FUZION system.

The worst of it for me, though, was that, not only did I pre-order, I was actually looking forward to the revision based on certain early press releases. As further press releases followed, however, I began to have concerns about my purchase. When I finally got my hands on it, I had full-on buyer's remorse.

Of course I bought them! I always pick up the new Edition. And I've always learned to enjoy and play each new Edition as it came along. I just add the new version to my kit bag and move along (I'm been doing this since 1974).

Not this time.

I did not like the way the books read, but that did NOT deter me. Four months of playing the new game did deter me. I thought at first my friends' lack of enthusiasm was a big problem, so I found another group to play with (just as player, not as DM).

Sadly, it just didn't happen for me this time. I tried Wizard, Rogue, Ranger, and Fighter, but nothing really excited me.

I won't waste anyone's time with useless analysis. It's a game, and this one just didn't push my buttons. It seemed so promising ... and DMing truly was MUCH easier with this Edition.

I'll go elsewhere for my fun at present. And keep my eyes open for changes in the future.

Uruk

First Post
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more - I came home the other night, and my 15-month-old was sweetly gnawing on my 1E DMG. She's so cute when she does that.... :angel: :rant: Bad daddy, for leaving it next to my chair the night before!

Baby Stink managed to spill soda on my 4e PHB and later took a swipe at my 1e PHB ripping part of the corner. He seems to like watching us play though so I'm not really sure what he's shooting for.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Same here.

When the gift set finally got here, about three months late, I opened the books, skimmed through, and put them back in their slipcase. Since then, the only I use I found for them is to put them under the projector which a friend of mine occasionally brings for movies.

Why wouldn't you sell them on e-bay or something if they're of so little value? I assure you that many people would love to have 'em. I've got some poor buddies who look upon your purchase with mucho jealousy. Heck, send 'em to the soldiers overseas.

Remove ads