• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did you change your Forgotten Realms?

How much did you change your Forgotten Realms?

• Not at all. I follow the books and novels.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I had some NPC killed here and there but no major changes

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Entire regions change if I prefer it that way, or if my players cause it in game

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • I took the realms, and rewrote them to my taste.

Votes: 23 31.5%

sckeener

First Post
I grabbed FR by the ears and dragged it where I wanted it to go...

1st ed....it was mostly a blank slate.
2nd ed...it was annoying...mostly the novels intruding on my stories...killing gods? wtf?
3rd ed...I ran it like I wanted.

I'm betting for 4ed, I'll get to return to 1st ed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My FR is based on the FR as written, but is quite different.

There are moonshae like islands in the Inner Sea. The Inner Sea is about 50-70 larger, with most of the expanse in the Southern Part. An Atlantis like depicted in the Rifts books sits between the Red Wizards and the Ancient Realms (something had to contain the Wizards and distract them).

I have no problem with super powerful NPCs in the world. If they weren't there, the world would be overrun by tribes of monsters and super powerful dragons.

My list of deities is different, though similar.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I picked the 2nd "no major changes" option, but I'm not sure that's quite right. I don't follow all the novels or RPG books (b/c I don't have space or $ to get them all!), but I generally follow the FRCS and other books that I do have. On the other hand, if something isn't quite right or messes with my ability to plot out ideas for my villains, I'll change it, and the PCs would certainly have a chance to change any major Realms events (if and when I run something that intersects with them). One example: I don't have the Last Mythal trilogy, and I consider it quite bad taste on WotC's part that (at least by one timeline) the fey'ri are released in the High Forest in early 1374 and then booted over to Cormanthor and defeated all in a matter of months. No time for me to play with them. So they're the villains in a current campaign and where they end up depends on the PCs...

Morte

Explorer
I bought a book like FRCS specifically to save me the work of making stuff up. Why would I go changing it?

If I wanted to create setting details for myself, I'd use Greyhawk.

Castellan

First Post
Like jdrakeh above, I use the 1st Edition gray boxed set as my basis for everything. I still have all of the 2E and 3.xE FR materials, but things that were changed in novels only occur in my game if they fit.

For the most part, a player who wants a canonical Realms would be very displeased with my setting.

Arkham

First Post
I've never read the novels, don't care to, and even if I did, I wouldn't incorporate them into my game.

I change/kill/erase NPCs as I see fit, all to drive a better story. And the PCs change the setting/kill or befriend NPCs even more than I do.

And I changed/added features to make it even _more_ silly, over the top than 3e already has it. With magical insurance available ( a divination a week for a year, True Ress if the results come out dead ), magic guilds pimping out their gear, etc. But that was the nature of that game. Very beer-and-pretzels. I'll change it the other way if I want a more serious game.

Remove ads