• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did you look at Ghostwalk? What did you think?

What did you think of Ghostwalk?

• I loved Ghostwalk. I like playing when you die and I like how they did it.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I like Ghostwalk. I like the idea of playing when your dead, but not the way they did it.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I liked Ghostwalk and the ideas, but I did not like how you kept playing when you died.

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • I didn't like ghostwalk. I do like the idea of playing while your dead though.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I didn't like ghostwalk and I don't like the idea of playing while your dead.

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • What is ghostwalk?

Votes: 13 10.3%

Najo

First Post
Ahh, Ghostwalk. One of the last contributions by Monte Cook and Sean K Reynolds while the still worked at WOTC. The game was set in an ancient city of Manifest, built over a gate to the lands of the dead. In the setting, characters who died still continued on as manifested ghosts. You could level and use powers as a ghost, adding a twist to the typical D&D campaign where the players continue to play (and sometimes prefer to) while dead.

Personally, I was really impressed by the product, but unfortunately it was plague with a number of problems. It's release was delayed. It was the last 3.0 release, done just before the 3.5 player's handbook came out. It was missing needed maps. It had to have a ton of errata to make playable for 3.5. Overall, a bad start for a promising concept.

Ghostwalk faired poorly on the campaign poll I did a few weeks ago. I am curious as to why this is. Alot of players never even heard of the setting, those who did didn't play it because of the poor timing of its release. I want to hear what your opinions of the ghost walk setting are.

EDIT: If there was something you didn't like about Ghostwalk, please elborate in the thread. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I liked everything about Ghostwalk -- especially the new monsters and the regional gazetteer -- except for the weirdly small afterlife. I wanted something a bit more expansive, even if it was only a temporary waystation.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
There should have been another option:
I like Ghostwalk. I like playing when you die and I like how they did it.

There is a huge difference between like and love. Anyway, this is where I stand.

I really like the ghost rules, but I've never used the setting in it. Nothing wrong with the setting, but I just have had plenty of others to use. Might work it into something eventually, but for now I've only ever used the ghost rules.

ZeroGlobal2003

First Post
I loved the Ghostwalk setting, right up until the sections about what is "beyond" the doors under Manifest... the afterlife was boring and kind of annoying. If you ignore that, the setting is nifty, and the ghost being around was very evocative, even if the rules made it tough to have a part living/part dead party.

greywulf

First Post
Hmmmm. Ghostwalk. To my mind it was so close to being a great setting. What spoiled it was the "now what?" feeling I had in my stomach after finishing the readthru. It didn't help that ghosts weren't ghost as they're defined in the MM, but something else entirely. Maybe they should have called it "Not-Ghostwalk" :)

Don't get me wrong. I like Ghostwalk, a lot. As I said, it's close..... but not quite. Shame, really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads