• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did your parents get you into gaming?

Did your parents gaming influence your being a gamer?

• Yes.

Votes: 37 14.6%
  • No.

Votes: 210 82.7%
  • No, but I got my parents into gaming.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torx

First Post
Ironically, no. My dad had played D&D since I was a youngling, but he never really talked about it. Then when I was 10 I started playing with a friend and my dad and I later discovered that we played the same game. Flash-forward fifteen years and for the past five years or so he's been a player in my games.

So my dad who's played D&D since 1e didn't ever talk to me about D&D yet now plays in my game. Weird.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
I am not sure how to answer this. My mother did, but very accidentally. When I was in 5th grade my mother came home with the BD&D red box set. She had bought it thinking it was a boardgame for the family. She played the game for about 10 minutes. I played for the next 25 years.

My stepdad gave me an old Basic boxset to help me with math and give me an outlet for creativity. I played it with my friends, and I thought we were the only ones who still knew about it. Turns out there's a few other people who know about it too. Huh.

I got into D&D back in '77/'78 or so. No parental involvement.

However one of the guys in our group is 17 and is a second generation gamer, and when we have kids I'm sure that will be in the household too. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I found it and learned it myself. My parents neither enabled me or hindered me from gaming, but my mom did take a good look into it not long after I first started, and OK'ed it with her conscience. My church never did approve of it, but then they didn't know much about me playing it after age 13 or so, either. :D

Ovistavin

First Post
Nope. A friend of mine introduced me to it during my first year of college (after M:tG). My dad wasn't too thrilled about it, but there wasn't anything he could do. Many years before I learned to play he knew of a group that played live action aboard a Navy ship and it was disrupting their work, so all the gaming material was thrown overboard. That was all he knew about it.

I did tell him that my group doesn't take the game "off the table" and it has been left at that.

My parents didn't get me into gaming... They made it possible for me to get into gaming, however. I earned an allowance by performing household chores, and I saw the Red box in a hobby store that my dad took me to on occassion while he was picking up model train stuff. So... they didn't really directly support my gaming, but did so indirectly. Nor did they ever make any attempt to discourage my gaming.

Later
silver

Mycanid

First Post
RFisher said:
Heh. As a parent myself now, I realize how smart my parents were for letting me host things instead of wondering where I was. (^_^)

You got it ... I understood that later on, of course. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads