• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

different name for "ware-chimera"

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I really like the concept of were-chimera in this article.
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Hybrid Contestants)

1.Were-chimera: The result of a mad artificer who studied lycanthropes, this terrible creature morphs into any form it needs to gain advantage against its prey. In combat, it’s been known to change from a dragon (controller) to a lion (skirmisher), to a goat (charging brute), to still other creatures as necessary.

But, for me, the name "were-chimera" sounds a man/woman morphs into chimera, not a man/woman morphs into many kinds of animal.
(What do you think? I'm not so good at English...maybe rather obvious ;)

So, I want different name for this creature.
Were-something, -thrope (-anthrope?), or whatever.
Maybe panthrope or omnithrope?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Werewolf" is, linguistically, "man-wolf". Lycanthrope is basically "wolf-man". The "were-" and "-anthrope" are both references to being a human (in Old English and Greek, respectively).

Does the thing normally have the form of a human (or humanoid)? If not, then really neither the "were-" nor "-anthrope" apply.

("Polyanthrope" then, would be a doppelganger - taking forms of many humans.)

And Chimera doesn't mean just having many forms, it means having many forms at one time - like having the body of a lioness, with a tail that ends in a snake's head, and a goat head coming out of the middle of the spine. (Chimera was sister to Cerberus and the Lernean Hydra - the Greeks had a thing for monsters with many heads).

A "were-chimera", then, doesn't just change his shape - he changes *parts* of his shape - so maybe he has goat's feet for climbing a mountain, but then swaps out to tiger paws when he wants to rake you with claws, while having a turtle body for armor, switching to an eagle's body when he needs to fly.

Or, maybe he just sprouts extra heads for various needs - that's more manageable, power-wise.

Not that you need to follow real-world language meanings for naming your critters, but I find there's inspiration to be found in the real structures.

Last edited:

AWizardInDallas

First Post
Lycans

I use alternative names for lycanthropes too! I refer to werewolves as 'wolven' and wererats as 'ratlings' (insulting) or 'ratmen'. I used to hate even dealing with lycanthropes at all but I got better (and I use Hero Lab). :cool:

Janx

Hero
so per Umbran, you've got a poly-chimera, or a polymera or chimerpoly or a polychime.

I like Umbran's point about the chimera definition. If your critter just shifted into other animals, that's a shapeshifter. If your critter morphs body parts that better fits the definition of a chimera, a critter that has mixed body parts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads