• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Different take on Character Wealth

IamTheTest

First Post
My upcoming campaign is going to feature 3 lvl6 PCs. Rather than let them pick out Xgp worth of stuff I want to come up with a way for them to have a reasonable amount of equipment without having excess gold. I suppose Im trying to run a lower magic adventure because Im still new to DMing and I dont want the PCs to get out of control. So what is a standard level of power for them? What kind of armor/weapons/magic stuff should be made available? Thanks.

Shane_Leahy

First Post
One thing I tried for a new campaign was I choose all the magic items. Basically took the suggested Wealth level for the characters' level, took off so much for regular items, and then rolled up the rest of the treasure. I then presented it to the players and let them divy up however they wanted. I think they went with an auction-bidding format. I was a little easy on the weapons and armor. I would list +1 weapon, and take off the cost for the masterwork and the +1, the player then made up the difference with his given gold. This let them get the weapons and armor they wanted.

IamTheTest said:
My upcoming campaign is going to feature 3 lvl6 PCs. Rather than let them pick out Xgp worth of stuff I want to come up with a way for them to have a reasonable amount of equipment without having excess gold. I suppose Im trying to run a lower magic adventure because Im still new to DMing and I dont want the PCs to get out of control. So what is a standard level of power for them? What kind of armor/weapons/magic stuff should be made available? Thanks.

That's the road to frustration and possibly disaster.

The DMG has guidelines on how much wealth to hand out. Handing out less results in weaker PCs, which sort of messes up the CR system, but it doesn't harm them evenly. Spellcasters are hurt a lot less than non-spellcasters, and statistics such as AC and saving throws are hurt more than save DCs and attack bonuses.

Of course, under the "proper" system, classed NPCs get shafted anyway.

If you're new to DMing, I suggesting finding a treasure generator. But if you're interested in running a low-magic setting, DnD is not the game for you.

Particle_Man

Explorer
You might want to consider a low-magic setting like Iron Heroes. The Characters are still tough, but they don't use magic items to achieve this.

Sandain

Explorer
Hi,

When I start PC's at a higher level I go through my modules and Dungeon mags and get an idea of what adventures they did in order to get to that level.

I pull out the magic items they should have aquired, remove about half the 1 shot items - and thats what I give my party.

If you have any of the adventure paths it will make this concept easy to do.

gizmo33

First Post
I'm not sure you should have started off with 6th level characters if you were a new DM worried about control. I'm assuming you have some material specifically aimed at 6th level. Then what about starting them with 4th level characters and given them normal equipment?

I think SeveredHead makes some good points, but I think "disaster" is overstated. I have a hard time really believing that the rather fuzzy guidelines in regards to creature treasure in the DMG actually produces anything close to an even distribution where every character in the party gets exactly X gp worth of magical treasure that it suited to their character class.

Things will drift away from balance from the start of the campaign, IME, unless you're sitting there with every treasure hoard saying "one item for the party fighter, and one for the thief, and, oh, two cleric items 'cause I know I got two cleric PCs, etc. etc."

Really- the GP/level chart and the CR values are useful tools, but there WAS A TIME when people DMed without using them as crutches and it wasn't so much of a disaster.

I don't have any problem with my low-magic campaign. However, it's a lot of work to modify gaming supplements and stuff if you want to use them and make them consistent with your campaign.

IamTheTest

First Post
Perhaps there exists an issue with my wording. By low magic I mean that I do not want the PCs to have a veritable inventory of +1 weapons. Id like to stick to a lower inventory game. The party shouldnt be outclassed (this is not to say that they will not experience tougher challenges occasionally) with what I give them as I will already have to tweak the encounters because there are only 3 PCs. I do like the idea of reviewing prewritten modules. Perhaps I could auction like Shane said. Sorry for my poor wording, but thanks for the responses.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
No need to worry there. PCs given the opportunity to buy anything they want with their starting gold are only about 1% likely to get 3 or 4 +1 weapons and set up shop. They're much more likely to get a +1 weapon, +2 armor, a +1 or +2 cloak of resistance, and some miscellaneous junk.

IamTheTest said:
Perhaps there exists an issue with my wording. By low magic I mean that I do not want the PCs to have a veritable inventory of +1 weapons. Id like to stick to a lower inventory game. The party shouldnt be outclassed (this is not to say that they will not experience tougher challenges occasionally) with what I give them as I will already have to tweak the encounters because there are only 3 PCs. I do like the idea of reviewing prewritten modules. Perhaps I could auction like Shane said. Sorry for my poor wording, but thanks for the responses.

IamTheTest said:

You're going to tweak the encounters, you say? DM after DM, many of whom are quite experienced, has tried this and failed, hence the reference to disaster. It's so much easier to use a low-magic rules system in the first place.

You also said you're new to DMing, so you're not likely to spot those mistakes in time.

Gizmo33 said:
I have a hard time really believing that the rather fuzzy guidelines in regards to creature treasure in the DMG actually produces anything close to an even distribution where every character in the party gets exactly X gp worth of magical treasure that it suited to their character class.
You're right, they don't spread properly. However, spreading it properly is hard work on a DM, especially someone who is new to it.

And regardless of what level of magical equipment you go with, there can be a huge difference in power level between "X GP of equipment that the DM picks out, randomly rolls, or is a logical possession of the previous owner" and "X GP of equipment specifically chosen by the PC or selected by the DM to provide maximum benefit the PC."

I'd say that giving PCs the ability to choose their own magic items (either at creation or through the existence of magic shops) results in roughly a doubling of the effective wealth. I think, and I may be wrong, that the guidelines in the DMG do *not* assume that PCs have fully optimal items. Everybody wearing armor? That won't change the fact that the NPC wizard you just killed had a set of Bracers of Armor that are of only marginal utility to you. And you can't expect to have magical spiked chains become common just because you use one.

On the other hand, I also think the guidelines don't assume that the PCs have entirely sub-optimal items (like a whole bunch of magical clubs and splint mail).

Remove ads