• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Differentiating Races: Racial Classes

winterwolf

First Post
I am rather fond of your idea, actually. I have a few characters in my campaign who love the idea of playing a race paragon kinda thing (mostly our dwarf and our elf, darn uppity races). The way I see it is, this would be unbalanced in 3rd edition, because the monsters and the npcs all have to be built the same as the PCs. In 4th, that isn't the case.
If, however, you do feel that it is unbalanced... perhaps give the bonuses, and have the powers added as a CHOICE at the appropriate level? Like, instead of gaining level X power, you gain the racial power for that level. This way, you still gain specific benefits for choosing a race, above and beyond the starting abilities, and it becomes a player choice as to if you want to give up the power at a certain level, for the racial power.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
perhaps give the bonuses, and have the powers added as a CHOICE at the appropriate level? Like, instead of gaining level X power, you gain the racial power for that level.

That gives me an idea...how about everyone automatically gains the racial powers, but not an extra slot; instead, you can choose to use a racial power instead of a class power (on the fly), sort of like a combination of Channel Divinity and 3e cleric spontaneously casting cure X wounds spells.

EDIT: Okay, I've changed the Dragonborn to a rough multiclass-ish format and left the Tiefling as-is. Take a look at both and let me know which you prefer.

Last edited:

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
yeah I think the balance should turn out right, and the flavor has been spot on the whole time.

Excellent, and thank you.

Now that I've ironed out what people want to see in this, I'll switch the Tiefling over and get to work on the rest of them.

Anyone who wants to contribute--make powers/feats, critique powers/feats, whatever--feel free to jump in at any time.

Remove ads