D&D 5E Digital Gaming Tables

ProphetSword

Explorer
Here are some pictures of the table, as promised. Please ignore the junk sitting on the table, as the guy whose house it is left some stuff on there. I didn't feel like waiting for him to clean it off before taking the pictures.

Here's a picture from the DM's side of the table. That side has more table space than the rest of the table. That's to allow the DM (typically me) to have enough room for the DM screen, laptop and whatever else they need. I often use a marker on the whiteboard on the table to track monster hit points and such. Easier than grabbing paper.

IMG_0868.JPG

Here's a picture from the other side. The chairs help give scale to the table. As I listed in a message prior to this one, the dimensions of the table are 4' wide x 7' long.

IMG_0869.JPG

Within the table, the television is supported by wood beams. This keeps the TV from sagging or causing damage by being in a horizontal position (these kind of TVs are made to support a vertical position, so you have to support them correctly or it can damage the TV).

IMG_0870.JPG

Finally, the last picture of the interior shows that there are two fans on each end of the table to remove heat from inside the table (though, it really doesn't get that hot inside, but it doesn't hurt). I have also circled the stick computer that is used to power the entire thing. The interior of the table was built to house a larger computer if necessary, but eventually, we just went with a stick computer due to the affordability and size factor. It's plenty beefy enough to run MapTools across the LAN.

IMG_0872.jpg

Hopefully that answers all the questions you have had.

GMLichLover

First Post
I posted a comment on your pinterest, but I'll do the same here as this seems to get more traffic.

The whiteboard is a great idea! I, and my players, have always had paper clutter - sheets for spells, campaign notes, loot, etc. The whiteboard makes so much sense it's a wonder many of the gaming tables I've seen being built have not incorporated this. I'm still a few years away from building my gaming cave and my gaming table, and I've decided on installing a flatscreen tv into the table as opposed to using a projector. After seeing your project, I'm going to use a whiteboard to border the tv now, because ... it's the way to go.

My question is this: if you had the chance to redo your table, would you use the same methods again or would you try something different now that you've had the chance to use it for a bit. Is the whiteboard prone to scratches and dents, and how do you think it will stand the test of time? Would you consider using a plexiglass with a white (or similarly light-colored layer underneath) underside if you had to replace the whiteboard in the future?

Will be interested as well as to what [MENTION=79912]ProphetSword[/MENTION] says about the whiteboard. I did a little research on whiteboards a few years ago, I assume you are using the compressed paper ones and not the metal or ceramic versions?

My personal experience in using whiteboards is they are dirty. You get the ink dusk/debris that ends up getting everywhere and needs cleaning with a wet paper towel very regularly. (i.e. just using an eraser ends up with it all pushed to the edges). And having them where you would rest your arms would mean you would get dirty too.

ProphetSword

Explorer
The board has been holding up fine. It’s been on the table now for over two years. I will find out tonight when I game what kind of whiteboard material was used (I’m not the one who bought it).

As far as changes, the only change we have discussed is cutting a hole that would allow us to mount the stick computer outside the table. That way, we wouldn’t need to open it for anything, since the TV comes on automatically when we power it up and we have a remote control in case it doesn’t. We only open it to turn on or off the computer.

I may post some updated pics as well.

Bolares

Hero
Thinking here, wouldn't you be able to run the TV from your notebook? maybe having all the power an HD cables from the tv and fans coming out near the DM's side of the table, and then connecting it on your pc?

ProphetSword

Explorer
I just spoke to the guy who bought the white board. It's apparently not white board at all, but something called The Thrifty White Tile Board that comes in 4x8 sheet made by Eucatild. It's a wall panel that is specifically made for a kid's room that allows them to draw upon it and then the parents can wipe it off. It has acrylic coating that resist staining and fading. He said you can pick it up at Lowe's for under $20. He said actual white board of the same size runs about $60.

ProphetSword

Explorer
Thinking here, wouldn't you be able to run the TV from your notebook? maybe having all the power an HD cables from the tv and fans coming out near the DM's side of the table, and then connecting it on your pc?

We wouldn't want to do that, though; because I run MapTools which allows me to see thing that they can't see on the Client side. For example, I can use Fog of War in dungeons so that areas they haven't explored aren't visible. I can also make things like trap effects (pits, fire, etc), invisible and have them appear when they step on the square.

Nytmare

David Jose
When I previously rebuilt my game table (currently in the midst of version 3) I had been contemplating having either the entire table top, or insets at each player station painted with chalkboard paint. I had originally decided against going the dry erase route because I knew that dry erase boards were easily scratched (at least at the time, and I hadn't known about the kid-proofed dry erase tiles) and I preferred the style of faux slate and chalk vs clean, white, scifi-ey dry erase boards.

Remove ads