Digital vs physical media which do you prefer?

Digital vs physical media which do you prefer?

• physical media

Votes: 40 44.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • a mix

Votes: 37 41.1%

I know some go with Digital due to space issues, I prefer physical media.

So, the past few months have seen Best buy removing physical media from their stores and Sony has REMOVED content from BUYERS devices due to licensing “arrangements,”. Sony isn’t offering any compensation for titles you’ve already bought or a way to transfer those purchases to another store.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
A mix. If a hundred pages or so? Digital. If more than that? Physical. For quick reference at the table? Digital. For long, casual, reading? Physical. So a mix, I suppose.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
And it's mainly because I don't trust that I'll be able to use what I purchase in perpetuity.

If you store your digital files offline, this shouldn't be a concern (in addition to storing my purchased PDFs in two different cloud storage systems, I also have them backed up to two external HDDs and my local NAS).

MGibster

Legend
If you store your digital files offline, this shouldn't be a concern (in addition to storing my purchased PDFs in two different cloud storage systems, I also have them backed up to two external HDDs and my local NAS).
I'm not so worried about my PDFs as I am my games, movies, and music. If I still owned my Nintendo Entertainment Systerm, I could play the same copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 I purchased in 1990. I can still listen to my Wham! Make it Big album even though it turns 40 this year. I do realize that changing media might make the systems I play these things on obsolete. While I still own the Wham! album, I don't actually own a record player, and even if I did what's to say the record wouldn't be worn down by now? In truth, ownership and the ability to use what you purchase is always going to be limited in some way. The difference is that a lot of software companies want us to be comfortable with the idea that we don't own what we purchase we simply have a limited license to use it. And some companies are trying this nonsense with physical items like John Deere tractors.

But digital media has plenty of things going for it as @Clint_L points out. It's convenient, it's more environmentally sound, you won't clutter your house, etc., etc.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm not so worried about my PDFs as I am my games, movies, and music.

I store music offline, too. It's relatively easy to do with music. You're right about games and movies, though. That stuff pretty much lives on cloud services without an option to download.

The difference is that a lot of software companies want us to be comfortable with the idea that we don't own what we purchase we simply have a limited license to use it. And some companies are trying this nonsense with physical items like John Deere tractors.

I store music offline, too. It's relatively easy to do with music. You're right about games and movies, though. That stuff pretty much lives on cloud services without an option to download.

Remove ads