• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dilemas, dilemas.

Well, it's finally upon me. I get to actually be a player... in an actual game... for the first time in gods know how long. I guess it all comes back to the age old question, what to play.

As it stands, we're starting a Forgotten Realms campaign at 5th level. The other three players have character concepts strung together, and I'm just coming up dry with ideas.

Halfling Warlock 5
Elf Duskblade 5
Human Cleric of Denier 5

That's what everyone else is playing. Now, I had a few of ideas to round out the group, but I'm not sure how fun any of them will be.

- Human Warlock 3/Paladin 2 (Redeemed badguy-type, Fiendish heritage feats and all.)
- Elan Monk 5 (Psychic feats + Monk powers sounds moderately fun.)
- Human Conjuror 5 (Summoner-ing like crazy.)
- Dwarf Rogue 1 / Fighter 4 (Trapsense? Something, I dunno.)
- Orc Barbarian 5 (Eventually going Bear Warrior / Warshaper.)
- Half-Elf Bard 5 (Going into Ur-Priest / Sublime Chord / Mystic Theurge.)
- Elf Wizard 3 / Archivist 2 (Again, Mystic Theurge.)
- Halfling Artificer 5 (Sounds moderately entertaining.)
- Human [Some Magic of Incarnum Class] 5 (Incarnum sounds interesting, just don't know how fun it is.)
- Half Elf Rogue 2 / Bard 2 / Druid 1 (Going towards Fochluchan Lyrist.)

I'm really just looking for something fun and useful. My last character was an Elf Rogue 6 / Wizard 5 / Arcane Archer 4 when we finished it out, so I'd rather stay away from Rogue heavy ideas [even though I know the group probably needs one].

So, any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

-TRRW

smootrk

First Post
I like your Archivist/Wizard elf idea, although I wouldn't be an elf. Not exceptionally powerful, but very versatile combo. I have been wanting to play the combo sometime.

The party seems to need a front-line fighter, so the Dwarf rogue/fighter may be good for the group.

Have you considered a Ranger/outdoorsy type? A Wilderness Rogue (UA)/Ranger could be quite useful if there is wilderness adventuring.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
You're a level short, but Shadow Adept at level 6 - you don't have to be evil, you just can't be good. ;) Not to mention, you can do it with either arcane OR divine magic.

It would make for some interesting role-playing as you'd be "playing with the dark side of magic".

For someone dry on ideas, you seemed to have come up with a lot of possible characters! :D

I'd personally go the Monk or Barbarian for something different from your last class that wouldn't overlap too much with the other characters. I'm sure the party will work out some way to cover the lack of a rogue.

Olaf the Stout

dog45

First Post
Strongheart Halfing Druid 5

Feats
B Greenbound Summoning (Lost Empires of Faerun)
1 Rapid Spell (Complete Divine)
3 Improved Initiative
6 Natural Spell

Animal Companion: Fleshraker Dinosaur from MMIII
Spell for dino: Venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms)

Buff yourself/dinosaur with your favorite buffs, cast Venomfire on your dino, then sit back and cast Summons.

Benefits -
- Your dino can tank for you now, you can do it later when you get better wildshape forms
- You're a primary caster

Oh, and if you want, you could worship Mielikki (sp?) to get around the no metal armor restrictions and pickup some weapon proficiencies.

Talmun

First Post
I always wanted to play a half-vampire gnome Barbarian/Reaping Mauler...but that's just me. :D

I like your Warlock/Pally idea, seems to have the most character just based on those blurbs.

Gold Roger

First Post
Since you have already broken the seal of noncore classes- Why not play an artificier?

You'd have the trapfinding the group will need and loads of flexibility, without being very rogue-ish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads