• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimension Door Question

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
according to the SRD:
dimension door spell:
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.
=========

now my question, are creatures who travel with you under the same restriction from action until their next turn, say if they delay action until after the spell is cast could they then take an action or would they be forced to not take any actions until their next turn.
thoughts ideas?
thanks!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Paragon said:
now my question, are creatures who travel with you under the same restriction from action until their next turn, say if they delay action until after the spell is cast could they then take an action or would they be forced to not take any actions until their next turn.

If they're delaying, then as soon as they stop delaying, it is their next turn :)

-Hyp.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
kinda what i was thinking. the situation is one of the party members has a staff that allows him to dim door at the cost of 2 charges, so he has been dim dooring people around the battle field and they have been holding/delaying their actions until after he transports them then taking action. it seemed on the up and up with me just wanted to bounce it off some other people.
thanks!

Shin Okada

Explorer
My cleric (with travel domain) loves to bring himself and his friend paladin to the spaces adjucent to a big creature (or a spellcaster).

Pinotage

Explorer
Yeah, I brought up this very question a few weeks back. It's one of those bizarre things that they stop the caster from taking an action but not his buddies. In the caster's case they're preventing him from casting a quickened spell or/and taking a moving action which seems rather strange.

Pinotage

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pinotage said:
In the caster's case they're preventing him from casting a quickened spell or/and taking a moving action which seems rather strange.

Consider a Quickened Dimension Door... in that case, it prevents a full round's worth of actions.

-Hyp.

kenobi65

First Post
Pinotage said:
In the caster's case they're preventing him from casting a quickened spell or/and taking a moving action which seems rather strange.

Remember that it's not that the caster can't do anything else in the same round as casting Dimension Door...it's that he can't do anything else in the round *once* he casts Dimension Door. It's maybe a fine point...and doesn't make much of a difference if what the caster wants to do is "bamf then do something once I get there". But, there's nothing preventing him from using his move action *before* he casts the spell.

Harmon

First Post
Not sure I follow :confused:

If a wizard grabs his friend the rogue- "come with me," ie don't resist. The wizard DimDoors, the rogue goes with him. The wizard can not step or do anything else (he still have a ME left) that round . They appear behind the big bad. The party's fighter goes just before the rogue. The rogue can now attack or must he wait until after that round?

I believe that the rogue can attack, can't he?

kenobi65

First Post
Harmon said:
I believe that the rogue can attack, can't he?

Absolutely. The spell description states that the caster's round is effectively over upon the casting of the spell. It says absolutely nothing about the "passengers" suffering any delays or lost actions.

Remove ads