• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimensional Anchor & Dismissal

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm inclined to say Yes.

Leads to some interesting questions, though.

If I'm using Ethereal Jaunt, and someone on the Material Plane casts Dimensional Lock, what happens when my Jaunt wears off?

"When the spell expires, you return to material existence."

But I can't return to material existence while within the bounds of the Lock.

If I subsequently walk to a spot that isn't covered by the Lock, do I immediately pop back to the Material... or did I miss my chance at returning, and I'm no stuck on the Ethereal until I find some other way back... like casting another Ethereal Jaunt and dismissing it outside the bounds of the Lock?

-Hyp.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
A very interesting question and I must say the possible ramifications that Hyper brings up are incredibly fascinating. Looking at the spell it does not in the last sentence that the spell doesn't prevent summoned creatures from returning from whence they came. Perhaps an extraplanar creature would be affected the same way, being dismissed essentialyt doing the same thing, returning them to where they came from. Just a thought.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Liquidsabre said:
Perhaps an extraplanar creature would be affected the same way, being dismissed essentialyt doing the same thing, returning them to where they came from. Just a thought.

But note that there's a chance of sending them to a different plane altogether, which would have to count as planar travel.

-Hyp.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Hypersmurf said:
"When the spell expires, you return to material existence."

But I can't return to material existence while within the bounds of the Lock.
You can't return to material existence inside a solid wall either, so I'd be inclined to treat this the same way. You are shunted to the nearest open space not affected by dimensional lock, and take 1d6 damage per 5' that you got displaced.

Mephistopheles

First Post
Dimensional anchor and dimensional lock are both described as creating an effect that completely blocks bodily extradimensional travel. Dismissal attempts to force a creature to travel extradimensionally. I'd agree with Hyp that the dismissal would be blocked by a dimensional anchor or dimensional lock. The same would go for spells with similar effects such as banishment and dispel chaos/evil/good/law used against a creature of appropriate alignment.

As for Hyp's question about the expiration of ethereal jaunt causing a creature to rematerialize in an area that is dimensionally locked, I'd adjudicate that the creature is shunted off to the nearest edge of the dimesionally locked area before rematerializing. This is what happens if they try to rematerialize into solid matter, but without the damage.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
As a house rule, when there are two magical effects that can't exist together, but no interaction is specifically discussed perhaps the DM should require a caster level check? Which ever caster wins gets to keep there effect.

Either than or run it like a counterspell.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am undecided...

A dimensional anchor/lock does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast, nor does it block extradimensional perception or attack forms. Also, the spell does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell.

I think it's nicer to let the dimensional anchor/lock block the creature coming back from ethereal, but it could be interpreted the other way too. For example, one could interpret that "does not interfere..." so that it includes also coming back...
Also, the description doesn't mention if summoning spells are blocked, but it says that the summoned creatures are not blocked from going back :\

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Course, this does raise the possibility of casters dimensionally anchoring themselves... Wonder if any demons or devils have access to it?

That Ethereal/Dim Anchor idea could have some interesting applications...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads