• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dimensional Lock And Summon Monster!

Ixidior

First Post
Hi again,

I have another big question for everybody.

Can I use the Dimensional Lock spell to prevent someone to use Summon Monster??.

by the way, the spells says...

"You create a shimmering emerald barrier that completely blocks extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities. Once dimensional lock is in place, extradimensional travel into or out of the area is not possible. A dimensional lock does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast, nor does it block extradimensional perception or attack forms. Also, the spell does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell."

So, can i use it for that purpose?

thnx to all for your time!

dulsi

Explorer
Yeah, I think it would prevent the use of summon monster inside it's effect. It more questionable if you could cast the spell inside the effect but have the most appear outside. I would probably say the spell still fails and needs to cast outside the dimensional lock.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Also, the spell does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell."
This implies that it does block summoning creatures; otherwise the entry would say "also, the spell does not prevent the summoning of creatures, or their dismissal at the end of summoning spell".

RAI, not RAW, but that's how I'd read it.

Theroc

First Post
This implies that it does block summoning creatures; otherwise the entry would say "also, the spell does not prevent the summoning of creatures, or their dismissal at the end of summoning spell".

RAI, not RAW, but that's how I'd read it.

If it stops interdimensional travel, and it prevents summoning(which is calling a creature from another dimension), it should also prevent the summoned creature from leaving(as it is travelling to another dimension).

However, that's my logic speaking, and obviously if the rules STATE it doesn't prevent the leaving, then it doesn't. However, IMO, that would mean that it doesn't prevent summoning either.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The clause about summoned monsters still leaving when the duration is up is just to prevent a very easy abuse of the spell to literally summon a massive army and keep them there, possibly for days. By logic and RAW (minus the clause) that probably could happen. But this is one of those instances where you just have to step in and say "no!" and so the authors did.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Right; the clause about not preventing summons from vanishing at the end of the duration is necessary either way. But since they said nothing about summoning spells, but did specifically call out things like gate, I assume that the omission is deliberate.

udalrich

First Post
The text does say that "forms of movement barred include" the listed spells, which means that the list is intended to give examples rather than be a complete list. I feel that it should block Summon Monster.

Note that even if it does block Summon Monster, most of the time that won't be very useful. The area of the spell is a 20 foot radius emanation, so I can generally summon my monster to a location 15 feet away from you, after which it can approach you. The creature is extraplanar, but once it is summoned, it's movement is the same single-plane movement that everyone normally does.

Dredan

First Post
I agree with the above statement by Udalrich, most summon monsters are alignment specified unless it's a druid, but either way your summoning them from somewhere else, ie another plane ie dimensional travel. But just specify the target of where the monster is summoned in outside the lock and it will work, the spell doesn't block the spell just blocks extra-planar travel. My 2 cents

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads