• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diplomacy - by the rules

Lamoni

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
That's pretty much how I would rule it. But, I differ as to the situation below--that would depend very much upon the king.
I agree, it depends on the King. And I don't see what is so wrong with having friendly or helpful NPC's. Many NPC's have lines they won't cross. Let's say you have a friend that started using drugs. You could be friendly and helpful, but if he asked you to buy some drugs for him, you would still say no. Instead, you would probably be helpful by trying to persuade him to get some help with his addiction and to never ask you for drugs again or you may be forced by your conscience to turn him in. Let's say that you were in the same situation and you were unfriendly... you could say, "yes, wait right here." then leave, go to the police station and invite a cop to come with you to arrest the guy.

Needless to say, that this is done in a very rough way, setting DCs ad hoc. I don't think I ever looked up the NPC reaction table during play in my whole life.
In my opinion this is done too often by too many people and it makes me dislike the diplomacy skill. I agree that you shouldn't have to interrupt play all the time to check the tables, but you should know them ahead of time or try to learn them quickly after referencing them once or twice.

With setting DCs ad hoc, the players never know how much they will need to turn an indifferent NPC's attitude to helpful. With other skills, they can know exactly what they need. This becomes a problem because it is very hard for a DM to not base their judgement in part by what the die roll is. If a party only has 2 ranks in diplomacy, they will get on average between a 10-13. If they roll a 4, they would probably always fail and if they rolled an 18, it would seem very high and therefore probably succeed. On the other hand, someone with 12 ranks in diplomacy would average a 20-23. If they roll a 4, they would probably always fail and if they rolled an 18, it would seem very high and therefore probably succeed.

I know that my examples were extreme and the player won't always succeed on an 18 with only 2 ranks while the person with 12 ranks won't always fail on a 4 (if they are doing an easy task), but it is just so much nicer as a player to have more concrete rules. Using the rules more as set in stone, and using less ad hoc DCs is nicer from the standpoint of a player. The DM can still role play the NPC's appropriately because just because they are friendly or helpful doesn't mean that they will disobey orders or their beliefs to help them. They will only offer whatever help is easy for them to give, even if it ends up being advice to leave the city because the party will get killed if they pursue their current objectives. (At least that is better than having the NPC run and report them to the nearest enemy)

edit: Just wanted to add, from the SRD: Helpful = Will take risks to help you.
Not reporting you to his superiors is probably taking a risk, and is all they will probably do if they still don't agree with your cause. On the other hand, if they don't have strong beliefs either way, they may distract the other henchmen so you can better sneak past them. Making someone helpful towards you should offer some help to the party.

Last edited:

Quasqueton

First Post
Quas, please don't put words in my mouth.
I didn't, I quoted you at the top of my post.

You explained it a little better in your second attempt, but I still have a problem, conceptially with the idea of Friendly = "hates your guts" or "may have you killed".

I think you are just confused as to the game definitions of the 5 NPC attitudes.
The d20 Modern party walks into a meeting between rival gangs. They're about to be attacked as outsiders, but the party face-man does some massive Charisma-fu and turns them from Unfriendly to Friendly.
If they are about to be attacked, the NPCs are Hostile, not Unfriendly. And going from Hostile to Friendly is a Diplomacy DC 35! With an extra -10 on the roll if it has to be done immediately (one round).

Quasqueton

der_kluge

Adventurer
In my game, we created a verb "diplome".

As in, I "diplome" him. i.e., to make a diplomacy check in order to win someone over.

Diplomacy usually only comes up in my game if the party is interacting with some neutral NPC (the fire salamanders in the first cooperative dungeon, is a good example) in order to avoid a conflict.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
takyris said:
Yep, I adopted this after finally figuring out how the rules were supposed to work, along with using Sense Motive as "General feeling you get from dude during conversation" as opposed to the lie-detector method that people often misuse it as.

if you don't allow the use of sense motive to oppose bluff attempts, I doubt it was because you "figured out how the rules are supposed to work". You may have found a way to interpret or adjust them that works better for you, but I'd say you are dealing in house rules, not some better understanding of the rules as written. Not that this is a problem, if your players like it.

In response to the orriginal question, my general rule is that what the player says establishes their goals and tactics in the social interaction, and the die rolls indicate their success. Some tactics are more effective and some goals more attainable, just like in combat. Sometimes you can't use your fabulous charge attack because there are people in the way or the distance is too great, and sometimes you don't have the time, circumstances or communication ability to make a full "change of attitude" diplomacy check. On the other hand, sometimes you have the perfect setup to employ optimal tactics, but your skill or luck falls short of succeeding. On rare occasions the choosen tactics or goals are so phenomenally bad that I might call for a check to give a hint that "based on your character's knowlege of X, that might not be the best way of aproaching this." I don't know that this is strictly by the book, but it avoids two different problems I have seen - players who ignore charisma and social skills but act like they have them anyway, and those who roleplay obnoxious jerks then expect npcs to react to them based on their character's stats instead of their behaviour.

Kahuna Burger

Bendris Noulg

First Post
takyris said:
I'd like to see more variations in the definitions, though. I use Unfriendly for everything from "Dislikes you because he is racially prejudiced against you" to "Is terrified and stressed out and not really friendly with anyone at the moment". And I use "Friendly" for everything from "Has been won over by your kind words" to "Now respects you as a player in the game and is going to treat you as an equal, which might mean assassination attemps" to "Hates your guts but has to admit that you're competent, so he can't in good faith testify to your inability in a court of law".
Wow... Reminds me of The Sopranos. Very nice.

med stud

First Post
Im with Takyris. If you become "friendly" with an enemy it doesnt mean that the enemy it doesnt necessarily mean that everyone lays down their weapons and sing kumbaya together. Here are some scenarios:
(In these scenarios one of the PCs have Diplomacy +40)

-PCs are walking along a road in orc territory; an orcish patrol spots them and attacks them as the PCs are humans and traditional enemies etc. Charisma PC steps forward and talks to the orcs in orcish, gets 52 on the diplomacy check. The orcs, who have no special enmity against the PCs, turn from hostile to friendly. They treat the PCs like they would treat their own friends.

-The PC's arch nemesis comes forward for the obligatory "-Do you want me to speak? -No, mr PC, I want you to die." thing. He is hellbent on seeing the PCs dead because they are trying to stop his plan; they are a direct obstacle. Charisma PC strikes back again, rolls 57 and after the conversation the arch nemesis respects and even likes the PCs; but they are still in the way of his plan and he is still Evil. The nemesis will try to win the PCs over to his side or at least give them an offer to leave his plan in peace. If he cant do that they are still hazarding his plan. He will proceed with his original plan, destroying the PCs.

I think the key words are: How do the NPC treat his/her friends? What are and how strong are the NPCs motivations? The PCs cant stop a megalomaniac plan with Diplomacy or make a dragon hand over it's gold and XP to them just because they made a 60 on the check.

takyris

First Post
Hey Quas,

I didn't, I quoted you at the top of my post.

The misinterpretation is my fault, as I can understand how the original line could be read as "He might send assassins after you because he's friendly" instead of "He might send assassins after you even though he's freindly". The latter was what I'd intended.

And the following:

"He's 'Friendly' toward you now, so he may send an assassin to kill you." ?!

What is the problem with DMs disliking the idea of a PC making friends with NPCs?

"No! You're supposed to be attacked by the orcs, and fight your way to their chief. Not this stupid happy talk."

...seemed to be words put in my mouth. Possibly, however, that's my misreading, and not your attempt to overly simplify what I was saying.

I think you are just confused as to the game definitions of the 5 NPC attitudes.

Actually, I believe we disagree as to the game definitions of the 5 NPC attitudes. I'm not confused at all. I could be wrong, and please, quote away if you've got something that trumps my opinion, but I'm not confused.

If they are about to be attacked, the NPCs are Hostile, not Unfriendly. And going from Hostile to Friendly is a Diplomacy DC 35! With an extra -10 on the roll if it has to be done immediately (one round).

Actually, I could have just had the NPCs as Indifferent. Indifferent means "Acts as expected socially under the circumstances." If you're in a gang meeting, and things are tense, and 5 well-armed uninvited people break down the door, you are socially expected to open fire. You don't have a deep personal loathing for this guy you never met before. You don't wanna start talkin' bad 'bout his mama. You just wanna follow your instructions, which were along the lines of "Hey, man, shoot anybody who ain't on the list." :)

I had them as Unfriendly because the PCs were wearing the wrong kind of clothes, and were obviously not gang members of any sort. That meant "We're going to attack, and not only that, we're going to enjoy it, because this is our chance to grind our boots into the upper-class a bit."

I never said it was a one-round action. Initiative hadn't been rolled yet, so I gave the PC time to make his case. And, when he finally rolled his Diplomacy check, he got a natural 20, plus 5 from an action point, which, when added to his ranks and bonuses, totalled 37. The Lieutentant, who himself was Hostile (for personal reasons), was moved to Friendly. Because of the Lieutenant's personal allegiances, his Friendly status in no way precluded him from killing the PCs if they got in his way, but it did mean that he wasn't specifically aiming to do so, and that he might feel a twinge of regret as he did.

This most likely speaks to some radically different approach to those 5 Attitudes. It seems really unpleasant to you to conceive of someone who could be friendly to you while still taking violent action against you. Or perhaps you conceive of those 5 attitudes to be overridingly powerful, such that if someone was Hostile to you -- "You killed my father, mistreated my sister, stole my ranch, burned my bible, and shot my dog, and now I'm going to kill you, you soulless monster, whatever it takes" -- and you rolled well enough on your Diplomacy check to bring them to merely Unfriendly, then he'd stop and say, "Well, I still don't like the fact that you killed my father, mistreated my sister, stole my ranch, burned my bible, and shot my dog, but I'm now just going to scowl at you from across the room and say mean things about you behind your back."

In my mind, moving that guy to Indifferent would cause him to continue on his course of action as expected (the socially expected action of vengeance), moving him to Friendly might make him give a bit of leeway (he'd respect the PCs and avoid hurting innocent friends of theirs, unless that was his original goal, and he might say something like "I understand why you did what you did, but this still has to come down to us crossing swords."), and moving him to Helpful might convince him to let the PCs live. Not a definite -- it'd depend on his personality -- but at the very least, he'd let the innocent friends of the PCs go, give the PCs time to prepare, make it a formal duel instead of an assassination, etc. Or maybe, if his personality was right, he'd drop to his knees in tears as the weight of the PCs' words cut through the vengeance that had controlled him. It might. Or it might not. As I said, it depends on the personality of the NPC in question.

How does that strike you?

Kahuna Burger, you said:
if you don't allow the use of sense motive to oppose bluff attempts, I doubt it was because you "figured out how the rules are supposed to work". You may have found a way to interpret or adjust them that works better for you, but I'd say you are dealing in house rules, not some better understanding of the rules as written. Not that this is a problem, if your players like it.

KB, again, I may have misspoken. I do allow the use of sense motive aganst bluff attempts. But I consider a single bluff attempt to be a series of statements, such that the PC gets one roll, and the NPC gets one bluff attempt, for all of their statements.

From the d20 Modern Errata and FAQ, a statement that compares the Sense Motive skill to an Investigator's Discern Lies ability:

What's the difference between the Investigator's discern lies ability and the normal use of the Sense Motive skill?

To see the difference between Sense Motive and discern lie, lets look at the two ways Sense Motive can be used: to overcome a bluff, and to get a sense of the trustworthiness of an NPC.

In the first case, keep in mind that a bluff is not the same thing as a lie. A bluff is a quick prevarication intended to distract, confuse, or mislead, generally only for the short term. A bluff is not intended to withstand long-term or careful scrutiny, but rather to momentarily deter an action or decision. You bluff your way past a security guard by flashing a video club card and acting like you know what you're doing. You bluff your way out of a brawl by acting like you're tougher than the 250-pound biker. Bluffs involve attitude and body language. Bluffs often include lies, but they usually aren't very sophisticated and aren't intended to deceive the target for more than a few moments.

A lie, on the other hand, is a simple misrepresentation of the facts. A suspect tells you he was in Chicago on the day of the crime, when in fact he wasn't. A client tells you he'll pay $10,000 for the job when he intends to stiff you. Body language and attitude aren't a big part of communication. The lie may be very sophisticated and well thought-out, and is intended to deceive you at least until you discover evidence to the contrary.

Sense Motive checks can help you see through bluffs. But, when used properly, they should not help you determine that any given statement is a lie. Furthermore, an NPC should not have to make a Bluff check every time he utters a lie-therefore, there's nothing to use Sense Motive on.

The second function of Sense Motive is to determine the general trustworthiness of a character. Using it in this way, you might determine that your suspect is highly, well, suspicious, and might tend to lie to you. But that doesn't tell you which, if any, specific statements are untrue. (In fact, an NPC can be highly untrustworthy even if he doesn't happen to be telling any lies at the moment!) Furthermore, this use of Sense Motive requires a whole minute to use, so it can't be applied to a single statement.

Discern lies, on the other hand, can be applied to determine the truth of an individual statement.

I am attempting to use it in that spirit.

Siamang

First Post
Takyris, I like your interpretation of Diplomacy a lot . . . only I have one problem with it (for d20 Modern at least): the Negotiator. There it says that the Talk Down ability both turns the target Indifferent and makes them stop attacking you. Would you consider that a special case?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
takyris said:
KB, again, I may have misspoken. I do allow the use of sense motive aganst bluff attempts. But I consider a single bluff attempt to be a series of statements, such that the PC gets one roll, and the NPC gets one bluff attempt, for all of their statements.

ah, since there is a current rules forum thread where some do in fact argue against giving a sense motive check against bluff (lies, misdirections, etc) I took your lie detector comment that way. I don't let a sucessful sense motive check determine exactly what the truth is or even what part they are lying about.

For an example, in a play by post, the PCs were pretending to kidnap a pricess (a decoy to cover the real pricess's journey) and encountered a group of true would be kidnappers. In a tense negotiation, the leader of the other group stated that they would be willing to pay a reasonable ransom directly to the PCs because they had plently of money and wanted the princess to negotiate for a "less tangible goal." The truth is that their funds weren't as flush as he claimed, but he was planning to make an honest payment attempt, and they really did want to princess to force a politcal concession, not to get cash. A good sense motive check on the part of a PC revealed that there was something he was holding back but seemed largely sincere - she didn;t know what part of his statement was exagerated or misrepresented, but suspected something was up. The PC then made a more full out bluff, claiming they would meet on the following night to consider an offer, when they really planned to flee and protect the princess. He fell for it and they left peacefully. Since her bluff was less layered, a sucessful sense motive check would have given a more absolute result - she was lying about her intent to return.

kahuna Burger

kleinetommy

First Post
While unrelated to Kahuna's rather nice way of dealing with the diplomacy skill, I'd like to comment on the other part of Frostmarrows question: Dice Rolling vs. Role playing.

In my campaign the dice rule what happens, so a diplomacy check made with a beautifully roleplayed story is still TECHNICALLY as potent as a single roll.

On the other hand using diplomacy in such a way is (at least in my group) simply NOT DONE.

Actually it's thesame as in combat, according to the DMG you should at least minimally describe each combat action you take as both a player and a DM (although it is a much underused practice unfortunatly). Same for the social rolls/roles.

Remove ads