• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dire Boars loose in Alabama

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Um... sorry but that pig is obviously a MCWoD were-boar in its "dire" form. That rat-bastard agent of the wyrm murdered some innocent lycanthrope with his .50 calibre silvered bullets....

He's probably carving that were-pig up and tanting the homeless with a free meal as we speak.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I read about this the other day and was simply dumbfounded by the size of that pig. For some reason I never thought animals got that huge in that neck of the woods. It's kind of scary! :)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
amazingshafeman said:
I thought lycanthropes returned to human form when slain...

In Werewolf:the Apocalypse it depends on the lycanthrope's "breed." Depending on the parent's natural form, lycanthropes could either be born in animal form, human form, or a deformed hybrid form. This of course is refered to as it's breed. (Hopefully Monte cook keeps this bit of "fluff")

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
JRRNeiklot said:
This I find hilarious. Farms do not exist inside a villiage. A garden plot and Bessie the milk cow, maybe.

Having lived in Germany for the last six years I can tell you they most cirtainly do. Eurpean farming villages are much different from American farming comunities. Everyone will live in a small village and the farms will be in the surrounding countryside. Quite different from our people living on the farm and scattered all over the countryside we have in the US.

It still seems odd to me, but hey, it's worked for the last couple hundred years so it can't be all wrong. :D

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Corvidae said:
p.p.s. - I don't know if it qualifies as dire
It is 9 ft long and 1,000 lbs.
The srd says a dire boar is up to 12 ft long and 2,000 lbs
Maybe it is a young dire boar, imagine what an adult would be :eek:

Well it says they grow UP TO 12 ft an 2000 lbs. And theyre advancement is to Huge. So those 12 ft, 2000 lbs Dire Boars Would be the Huge 21HD ones.
I think this one is clearly your basic "as statted" Dire Boar with just a couple house rules.
Explanation:
-In D20 modern a Desert Eagle (your basic .50 caliber pistol) does 2d8 damage if I remember correctly. (Have to check that one out once I get home.) On average you would do 81 damage with 9 shots. (ok I don't think the kid actually has a Des. but the statistics are pretty much the same)
-Now if the DM uses a House Rule where all monsters have full HP a Dire Boar with basic 7d8+21 HP would have 77 HP.
-As already implied this DM obviusly uses the morale check House Rule, so I'd say the boar won't get the benefit from ferocity either.
-And last if the kid was 1st level ranger as implied, he would get 1350xp. So definetly a level up for defeating the thing alone. It is a CR 4 monster afterall, even if it did fail its morale check.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I agree that it is a disturbingly large pig. I sort of wonder if the noise from the guns set it running away, rather than charging the perceived threat and ramming with those 5 inch tusks? Although the kid's Dad would have plugged it first with a rifle shot, i'm sure.

Sort of reminds me of the second Gord of Greyhawk book by Gygax, Artifact of Evil. Remember that? Wasn't Gord killed by a rakshasa that was in boar form (it would have been Dire Boar in size, but this was 1st edition stuff). And if you're wondering, Gord had Ring of Nine Lives that resurrected him, and he did manage to kill the boar at the same time if i remember correctly (it's been over 20 years since i read that book)

lukelightning

First Post
The whole "hogzilla" thing reeks of hoax. I bet you dollars to donuts that the supposed "wild pig" was raised in captivity and fed by the farmer, then set loose for his kid to shoot. And the photos I've seen look rather suspect; the pig seems different sizes in different pictures.

Remove ads