• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DirectX 9.0c compatibility?

Dieter

First Post
I'm trying to run DirectX 9.0c with and nVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics card, is it compatible with the 9.0c version?

I've scoured the intarweb for answers and have found nothing definitive.

Rackhir

Explorer
J-Buzz said:
If in fact I have the correct driver for your video card.

That isn't really an issue. Nvidia has a single unified driver for all of its cards. If you have an Nvidia card then the same driver works for all of them.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Gforce "4" MX cards are older cards. They are not compatible with DX 9, you can have DX 9 on your system, but since the cards were made awhile ago, they are not capible showing the DX 9 features. The card will only ready up to DX 8. Its not a driver issue, its a hardware issue. You should still update your drivers when new drivers come out though.

drothgery

First Post
Just nitpicking a bit here, but the GeForce 4 MX is a GeForce 2 derivative, and hence a DirectX 7 card, not a DirectX 8 card. IIRC, NVidia cards break down like so -- the GeForce 2 and GeForce 4 MX lines are DX7 cards, GeForce 3 and GeForce 4 Ti lines are DX8, the GeForce FX line is DX 9.0 (even if the implementation isn't all that great), and the GeForce 6xxx line is 9.0c.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
But at any rate, you can play DX9.0c games with it. You just won't get the super-fancy graphic effects.

Also be warned, some later drivers might be dodgy. For instance, I have a sucky FX5200, and any later driver than 61.22 are very very glitchy and unstable.

(They still sell them new, but apparently can't be bothered to make stable drivers for them)

drothgery

First Post
trancejeremy said:
(They still sell them new, but apparently can't be bothered to make stable drivers for them)

FWIW, I think NVidia is pretty much in the clearing out stock phase with GeForce FX parts; there's better-value 6xxx card at every price point excet for uber-cheap (sub-$100) AGP cards. A 6200 is better than a 5200, 5600, or 5700SE; a 6600 is better than a 5700 or 5700 Ultra; a 6600 GT is better than a 5900XT or 5900.

Remove ads