• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disappointed in 3.5 books

talinthas

First Post
to be honest, i didnt read a single post in this thread, but the fact that it involved arguments between Iron Chef, Zarrock God of Evil and FiendishDireWeasel made me laugh. Not cause i know who these people are, but because that combination of screen names arguing over D&D could ONLY happen here on enworld, and is just really freaking funny for some reason =)

:p

billbo

First Post
"With your post count, Billbo, I might suggest that you wont make many allies here by flaming down people for expressing opinions. Ease up man "

<i>Well!</i> I'll be sure to ratchet my post-count up real good so I can gain "allies" here. Because, you know, that's <i>just what I need.</i> "Allies."

Thanks for the "tip"!

Grishnak

First Post
Iron_Chef
So they can see the lies of man and the other races for what they are; so the orcs will not be cheated again from their rightful place in this world!

Example:
"If you let us go, oh mighty Grishnak, we will come back with many precious items to give you."

"Me Grishnak no impress by word of puny human. You lie! Me let human go, you human come back with pointy metal aim at Grishnak's heart! Grishnak say, word create lie, no trust word. Puny human die!"

I didn't say that, I'm innocent I tell you! I'm not an ork, that's my ugly cousin Grishnakh :D

Elvinis75

First Post
So let me get this straight. The common belief is that a Paladin can judge people because he has detect evil? Or is it that they are more agressive in nature?
Frankly nearly all of the abilities the paladin walks around with are duplications of the cleric. Being the game is built around reality as a base I wholeheartedly challenge the idea that priests are not trained on how to deal with people and problems.:rolleyes:
They have great needs to know people and what they believe or don't. The skill is clear and give one example of what the skill can be used for.

"Hunch: This use of the skill essentially means making a gut assessment of the social situation. The character can get the feeling from another's behavior that something is wrong, such as when the character is talking to an impostor. Alternatively, the character can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy."

The priests that I know at church deal with this all the time. Whether it be premarriage screening, marriage counciling, grief counciling, life advice. Heck, the clergy could be considered old school psychiatrists. The way that I see it a cleric and paladin should get this skill for the opposite reason than the rogue. The rogue deals with bad people trying to act good. The clergy sees good people trying to hide the bad traits within. The reason that they both see through the behavior is that people have what poker players call tells. Behaviors and mannerisms that point to the fact that they are not being truthful. Looking away instead of looking them in the eye. Body language and other things. I still believe that there is a reason why the cleric should have the skill.
I think that the reason that they know people is more than the fact that they are wise. They deal with people all the time.

On the issue of the war priest:
I think that is where the options of shifting out this skill for that comes in. I think that a small section on p. 92 after the gods section talks about personalizing characters. I think that they should have someelse in place of sense motive. Again this is all opinion. That is where the great rule 0 comes in.

sithramir

First Post
Well you can say that they sense the wrongness in others, but thats how you look at it. I see a lot of clerics being fanatics about their gods. They don't understand how other people think. A lot don't interact with people enough to see the goodness/badness of them. Remember that this isn't present day.

Lets forget my first paragraph and assume they aren't one sided minded creatures like a lot of clerics could be.

They have spells that handle all of that that are relatively low level so a lower level cleric can have them. They still have a high enough wisdom to have good unnatural sense motive and can still take cross class.

Haven't you ever heard of the idea "Those who can do. Those who can't teach" Its kind of like the rogue can do it cause he's living where he has to or he's dead. The cleric can have the wrong perception of every person he meets but it doesn't matter. He doesn't necessarilly have the ability to learn people skills the same as a rogue. But he's still on level ground with other classes that have it as cross-class to learn normally.

He's also wise enough to still sense motive well so he doesnt' 'need" class points persay to do it anyways. I think thats one reason why even if they were supposed to get it they wouldn't. They are already good enough skill wise plus they have tons of spells to do the same thing without error. (Can't lie to someone when they can read your thoughts or discern your lies).

takyris

First Post
The average cleric's means of "dealing with people" involve showing leadership, friendliness, and a willingness to listen. The flock shouldn't feel that the priest is analyzing their every word for falsehoods unless an inquisition is on -- they should instead feel more inherently trusting, more willing to open up, more likely to talk with the cleric about tricky matters.

That doesn't equal Sense Motive. That equals Diplomacy.

That's it, I'm not getting 3.5 unless Clerics get Diplomacy as a class skill in that edition!!!!

Wait. They do already? Oh.

Tricky, those WotC folks...

If you wanted to have a cleric who was trained in the art of sensing lies, ferreting out rumors, and generally being a quasi-evil inquisitor type, your best bets would be to add in a few levels of Rogue or Bard. Sure, he's less specialized in spells under that method, but... that IS what you want -- a cleric who has turned some of his focus to skill use. :)

Elvinis75

First Post
sithramir said:

They have spells that handle all of that that are relatively low level so a lower level cleric can have them. They still have a high enough wisdom to have good unnatural sense motive and can still take cross class.

Haven't you ever heard of the idea "Those who can do. Those who can't teach" Its kind of like the rogue can do it cause he's living where he has to or he's dead. The cleric can have the wrong perception of every person he meets but it doesn't matter. He doesn't necessarilly have the ability to learn people skills the same as a rogue. But he's still on level ground with other classes that have it as cross-class to learn normally.

He's also wise enough to still sense motive well so he doesnt' 'need" class points persay to do it anyways. I think thats one reason why even if they were supposed to get it they wouldn't. They are already good enough skill wise plus they have tons of spells to do the same thing without error. (Can't lie to someone when they can read your thoughts or discern your lies).

All talk of priests being fanatics aside. Which I'm worried about that statement and how many believe it is true. All THAT aside, I still think that you have failed to explain why priests would be any worse dealing peoples emotions and reading them than a rogue. The statement "those you ... teach" isn't a fair statement. I know quite a few teachers that are great at something. The fact that they teach it doesn't mean squat.

The idea that there are no real failings or not being able to read people as a cleric just isn't true. People are less likely to connect with them and confide in them and thus be as active in the church community. The parisitioner needs to have his finger on the pulse of his flock.

The problem that I have with the cross-class design for this is that the cleric gets very little time to spend with skill development per level (2 points per level) so either they are going to be good at something or not. Sure in the beginning levels they might be as good but in the upper levels they aren't even close that is unless they do nothing but study people.

Seems to me that we just have different views on the cleric. If you go back to 2E and read the cleric handbook you will see that they are the type of people that spend a lot of time with people.
Have responsibilities defined marriage, counciler...etc. I don't have the DoF but I think that it probably has to have more info in there.

Agree to disagree.
Out!

:D

Iron_Chef

First Post
Estlor said:
There is a school of thought in the real world that believes intense faith in something makes you less perceptive. Dogma often reduces fuzzy topics into clear black and white to make it easier on the people that believe it.

I'll agree to this because I find it not only a thoughtful and well-written counterpoint to my argument for including sense motive on the cleric's class skill list, but factually true in many cases (real world or no). It's something I had not considered but should have. I still think there is a case that can be made for giving clerics sense motive, but I'm not so worked up over it now.

I think it would have been better if the revision team could have provided a variant option for each class in the PHB, such as how to make an Inquisitor (with sense motive), an urban street fighter (with bluff, intimidate, gather information), etc. Not only would that make it easier to accomodate everyone's character vision, but it would make it easier on the DM to have balanced PC/NPC options to pick from, right there in the PHB. I know there's something about this in the DMG, but official variants in the PHB at the end of each class would be cool. Maybe it would confuse newbies, I don't know, but it would be nice to have.

I still feel the sorcerer is a "wuss" and needs the added flavor and power that added charisma based class skills would give him. Flavor, because it shows he has a special heritage that commands respect, fear or awe, and Power, because he has reduced spellcasting progression and is a poor choice except as a one level multiclass for otherwise non-spellcasters. I would prefer sorcerers have their own, separate list of spells (perhaps mixing some but not all arcane and divine magic) based on their individual bloodline, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Yes, I min/max and power game, but everybody does to a certain extent. Why? Because you DIE if you don't, or suffer undue hardship because you are not maximized to handle unpleasant or dangerous situations, AND suffer the derision of your fellow adventurers (and their players: "Your character sucks! Haha!"). There is some pleasure to be had in RPing a shrinking violet with no way to save herself in a fight, but generally, everyone plays the game to have their PC kick some ass (mentally, magically, or physically) so the player can blow off steam on a friday night with their friends. In typical D&D games, telling a story--RPing--is important, too, but ultimately not as important as kicking ass and taking names. D&D is all about ass-kicking in one form or another as far as the designers---and I'll wager most players---are concerned. Those who want a more RP intensive and oriented game will frequently go to WW or GURPS or something even more obscure (what's that thing called? Harn?); because they are more set up for exploring such issues. D&D can be used for such, but it is not the best system for doing so (thankfully, books like Dynasties & Demagogues are trying to disprove this and expand the game into more RP intensive areas with some egree of success).

D&D is only used for RP heavy stuff because it is known by the largest number of people and may be easier to implement in that regard. If D&D were more about RPing your character, then we'd get more than two pages on personality and background in the PHB, now wouldn't we? What D&D needs as a supplement is something like the old Task Force Games "Heroes of Legend," which was 100 pages of fun tables on how to design every aspect of your character's life (for any game system), either randomly or by picking what sounded best. Unfortunately, many D&D characters exist in a void, with no (or relatively little) background, no family, no friends, no sense of belonging to the world around them, nothing except the sword in their hand and a desire to grab some treasure. The more detailed the character background, the more plot hooks the DM (and player) has to exploit, which only help to add to the fun of the game and make the charracter and his world more "real."

talinthas said:
to be honest, i didnt read a single post in this thread, but the fact that it involved arguments between Iron Chef, Zarrock God of Evil and FiendishDireWeasel made me laugh. Not cause i know who these people are, but because that combination of screen names arguing over D&D could ONLY happen here on enworld, and is just really freaking funny for some reason =)

:p

Heh. I used to be "Zarrock, Primordial Evil" (if you ever visited my sites you'd know why I have this nick ;) ) on Eric's old boards. But when I had to transfer (during one of the board transitions), the nickname stayed "taken" even though I couldn't log in through it. So I thought: "What the heck, God of Evil will do. At least its honest...." :p

-Zarrock

Remove ads