• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarming an archer...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Would the archer get to use their dex modifier or strength modifier on the opposed check? I was thinking they'd have to use their strength modifier since it's a melee manuver and a bow isn't finessable.

Thoughts...

Darklone

A bow does not count as weapon if you try to disarm an archer... it's much easier. Treat it as a held object. Poor archers.

shilsen

Adventurer
Darklone said:
A bow does not count as weapon if you try to disarm an archer... it's much easier. Treat it as a held object. Poor archers.

Are you thinking about sunder? In 3.5 a bow clearly counts as a non-melee weapon and the defender gets a -4 on his opposed roll and cannot attempt to disarm in turn. As for the original question, since the description doesn't say anything about the attack roll changing for a ranged weapon, I think you would still use Dex.

tensen

First Post
Note.. this is a the rules section and not the houserules section... so I'll explain how I would do it, with the note that I haven't seen this occur with regards to the rules.

Attempting to disarm from a bow users..

Step 1: provokes an attack of opponity from the bowyer... with regards to an arrow. Not a fired arrow, a melee attacking arrow. There is a particular notation of attacking with an arrow in melee combat in the Player's Handbook... and while it was probably written in there with regards to Legolas using the arrows... I imagine it works quite well for the rules here.

Step 2: long bow becomes either an improvised quarterstaff or club. Defends as such in melee combat.

Probably better off sundering the weapon in the long run... but if I was the DM I'd give the archer a rage ability for their response to having their quality bow turned into a bunch of kindling <grin>

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
I disagree with shilsen. You use STR becasue you are using the bow as a melee weapon - you get -4 because it's an improved melee weapon, though that's not really spelled out that way in the disarm rules.

Darklone

I agree with Shilsen about the first part, I was wrong... and the rules aren't really clear about whether it's a melee attack roll for the opposed check... but anything else would be silly.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Unfortunately, the rules don't specify whether the user of the bow is to make a 'melee' attack. The same wording (or similar) is in the sunder section. This leaves it up to the GM. According to the wording of the rules, it could be easily ruled that the archer gets to use his normal attack roll, including all range specific feats. This is because the rules state only that an opposed attack roll is made. Not an opposed MELEE attack roll. I think its bunk, but its up to your GM.

There is a post on sundering that may also help this discussion. Its around here somewhere under 'sundering a bow in 3.5'

RigaMortus

Explorer
Can you make an AoO with a weapon you are not proficient with? If someone goes to Disarm an archer, couldn't they make an AoO with their bow or even an arrow (both as a melee weapon of course)?

Can you take a Free Action on an AoO? If so, you could always "drop" the bow to prevent it from being sundered...

Remove ads