• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discern Location puzzle

Galfridus

First Post
Two players need to find an object. Player A can cast Discern Location but has never touched the object. Player B has touched the object. How can they locate the object?

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
(perhaps this should be in the Rules Forum)

The spell is quite clear: The caster needs to have touched the object in order to find it.

I'm not sure what spells could accomplish this, but you could have the memory of the toucher transferred to the caster. You could imbue the toucher with the ability to cast the spell (researching a more powerful version of "Imbue with spell ability"). Uh, other than that, I have no idea.

Maitre D

ZSutherland

First Post
Not that I'd necessarily alow this in my game, but it's not a violation of any rule, to my knowledge. Have player A make potion of Discern Location and have player B drink it and find the object in question.

Z

RuminDange

First Post
Another way

Have player A store the discern location spell in a ring of spell storing and then let Player B use the ring to cast the spell.
Object found.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
ZSutherland said:
Not that I'd necessarily alow this in my game, but it's not a violation of any rule, to my knowledge. Have player A make potion of Discern Location and have player B drink it and find the object in question.

Z

You just need the Master Alchemist PrC (MoF), but, yes, that is a good idea.

der_kluge

Adventurer
You need "improved discern location" from the Bluffside sourcebook.

(the following is declared open game content as per the rules dictated in the section 15 of the Bluffside sourcebook)

Improved Discern Location
Divination
Level: Clr 9, History 9, Knowledge 9, Sor/Wiz 9 Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Unlimited
Target: One Creature or object
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Improved discern location works just like the 8th level discern location with the exception that the caster does not have to have seen or touched the person or item previously. The caster only needs a complete understanding of the item or creature to be located. Complete understanding needs to be specific or the spell will fail. Examples include “the brother of the king” (assuming the king has only one brother) or “the other half to this sword” if the caster has half a sword and is missing the other half.

Squire James

First Post
I think the Ring of Spell Storing idea is the only one that would work in a "core rules" setting. While 90K gp is a tall order even for a level 15-20 character, the Ring is a very good item for most situations. Some self-only spells become a little broken when cast through a Ring of Spell Storing (Divine Favor comes to mind).

Galfridus

First Post
The Ring of Spell Storing is perfect -- all I had thought of was using psionics to do Mind Switch, but even that seemed a bit dubious.

Remove ads