Discussing Draedens

Shemeska

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
I knew this one was going to trigger some threads.

Muhahahaha.

Only about 70 more to go.

--Erik

*chuckle* The question though is if you're trying to ...

A) Create continuity between D&D and AD&D/3.x edition.

B) Insinuate Draedens are some sort of Far Realms creatures

C) Propose or at least allude to a cosmological model larger than the multiverse, perhaps with the Great Wheel being a bubble on an ocean of potential surrounded by an infinite number of other bubbles, each utterly alien to each other by comparison (Great Wheel, Far Realm, Macrocosm from the PSMCIII, the Ordial plane, whatever reality the Keepers came from, the insinuated pre-Great Wheel reality that the Baernaloths came from, etc etc).

If it's the latter, I've toyed with the notion in some stories, my storyhours, and in my campaign certainly, and so have some published things in 2e.

And as for 'about 70 more to go', I'm still digesting this pretty, pretty piece of work. The reference to the Gibberlings in Sigil going nuts and talking about an Abyssal Lord imprisoned in layer 73 of the Abyss, and then going on about a creature 'beyond the stars'... something from the Far Realm is trying to extend influence into the Wheel...

Ripzerai

Explorer
Shemeska said:
The reference to the Gibberlings in Sigil going nuts and talking about an Abyssal Lord imprisoned in layer 73 of the Abyss, and then going on about a creature 'beyond the stars'... something from the Far Realm is trying to extend influence into the Wheel...

Yeah, an obvious Far Realm reference. Only thing is, the entity Areex is supposed to contact is Bolothamogg, whose job (according to Lords of Madness) is to prevent beings from this reality from entering the Far Realm - so it's strange that Bolothamogg would invite an Abyssal lord to do so. I suppose Bolothamogg intends to deputize Areex into acting on its behalf? The endlessly chanting gibberlings are a very powerful image, regardless.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ripzerai said:
No, there aren't any stats for it. Just a description.

stats for a draeden would be insane. i haven't even contemplated them, although i'm sure shade has. ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Shemeska said:
C) Propose or at least allude to a cosmological model larger than the multiverse, perhaps with the Great Wheel being a bubble on an ocean of potential surrounded by an infinite number of other bubbles, each utterly alien to each other by comparison (Great Wheel, Far Realm, Macrocosm from the PSMCIII, the Ordial plane, whatever reality the Keepers came from, the insinuated pre-Great Wheel reality that the Baernaloths came from, etc etc).

To some degree, that's already there. We know you can travel between cosmologies via the Plane of Shadow and the gate spell, so all of D&D reality is larger than a single multiverse can encompass.

paradox42

First Post
BOZ said:
stats for a draeden would be insane. i haven't even contemplated them, although i'm sure shade has. ;)
Well, the ones I've been coming up with certainly qualify. AC is over 13,000, hit points over 4.2 millon, attack bonus for its Bites near 25,000... I've only barely scratched the surface here. I haven't even begun to estimate its CR, but it has to be in the tens of thousands at a minimum.

Like I said above, pure mathematical exercise. :)

But I checked out a copy of FC1 at a store, and found the reference to Ulgurshek, and have been contemplating exactly what it might be like to have an adventure inside a Draeden. Really, if nothing else, the diamond boulders in its gizzard might make for a good treasure motivator, but how to survive long enough to bring any out? Anyway, it's interesting food for thought. Nice easter egg there Erik, very nice.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Ripzerai said:
Yeah, an obvious Far Realm reference. Only thing is, the entity Areex is supposed to contact is Bolothamogg, whose job (according to Lords of Madness) is to prevent beings from this reality from entering the Far Realm - so it's strange that Bolothamogg would invite an Abyssal lord to do so. I suppose Bolothamogg intends to deputize Areex into acting on its behalf? The endlessly chanting gibberlings are a very powerful image, regardless.

Of course, attributing human logic to something like Bolothamogg is the first step toward getting one's self into deep trouble. Put another way... the Elder Evils work in mysterious ways...

hamishspence

Adventurer
What about Neth?

I assume the Draedens can vary a bit in looks. The one thing any surviving Draedens should have in common is size (layer, demiplane, and, if one wishes to squeeze Far Realm megaentities into that category, continent sizes)

I've only got 3rd/3.5 Ed material, so I probably don't have the full picture.

hamishspence

Adventurer
completist

I tend to the idea that most old and new fluff can be pulled into a coherent whole. Hopefully, the current edition of D&D will lead that way: maybe clear up a few mysteries.

Remove ads