(Discussion) Characters in need of supervision....

Kahuna Burger

First Post
we shoud get a living enworld message icon....

but anyway, an odd question. What happens if some of the patrons of the red dragon inn decide to go out and have an adventure on their own... will a judge step in to provide rough DMing or should we ask for one in advance?

In case this made no sense, a concrete example - I plan on katherine (the bard) picking up ranger levels in the course of her developement, since tracking and such would be very useful to her 'private eye' schtick. While she doesn't know from rangers as a class, she knows she wants to learn to get by better in the outdoors and will be asking around the tavern for an informal coach. Assuming anyone with track was bored enough to help her out, how would we resolve things? ;)

Kahuna Burger

Last edited by a moderator:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Case by case basis. Any of the primary judges (Gary+Me+Uriel) can decide how this would happen. We could search out a DM, DM this ourselves, or anything else that makes sense.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
If I am reading this correctly, K-B, what you are (partially, at least) asking is a 'what if we just want to go off on our own agenda 100%, not an adventure posted by a DM'.
This is fine, I think, as there are Judges involved who could oversee.
I think character-driven adventure is great, and if you are asking for someone to just fill in bits, maybe do the dice rolling while you folks fulfill your characters own desires for exploration, that seems feasible.

If Katherine wishes to trek through the wilds fora bit, it would be an easy thing for a Judge (me, the default DMfreak, I think it is safe to say at this point) to throw something short together for her without it being a big deal or a distraction from my other games.
I would ask this. In such adventures it would be important to keep the number of participants small, say limited to 4. That way, small adventures vignettes could actually get completed and the characters could get on with whatever other things that they (Katherine inthis case) wished to do.
I would use the tag 'LEW Vignette' Katherine's Journey... for an example.

-Uriel

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Uriel said:
If I am reading this correctly, K-B, what you are (partially, at least) asking is a 'what if we just want to go off on our own agenda 100%, not an adventure posted by a DM'.

Exactly. What katherine is looking for right now is a training mission (I perfer not to just add new classes and skills to a character without a hint as to where they were picked up) though this sort of thing would have helped in my last high level campaign as well (for instance, a deep woods sniper with plenty of herbalism and knowlege nature type skills and the ability to travel pretty much anywhere on her offtime who inexplicably was paying full market price for her poisons and only getting them when found as treasure to boot...)

kahuna burger

Remove ads