Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajanders

Explorer
If I've done crafting or bought gear, do I need to get my character reapproved?

Second, can lots for an augury spell be created with craft (jeweler)? If so, would they be simple items, or are they higher difficulty?

aja

Phoenix8008

First Post
Another question: If I want my character to craft a unique wondrous item (something not in the DMG, but made following their formulas), do I need to get it approved by the judges first for it to be allowed? Got a really neat idea that I'm probably not going to be able to afford for a while to come, but it's going to be one of Kurgahz' goals to make this item whenever he finally can.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Another question: If I want my character to craft a unique wondrous item (something not in the DMG, but made following their formulas), do I need to get it approved by the judges first for it to be allowed? Got a really neat idea that I'm probably not going to be able to afford for a while to come, but it's going to be one of Kurgahz' goals to make this item whenever he finally can.
You do indeed need it approved to craft something as a player, though GMs are allowed to use nonstandard items as treasure if they want.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
You do indeed need it approved to craft something as a player, though GMs are allowed to use nonstandard items as treasure if they want.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for when I get close to actually being able to craft it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for when I get close to actually being able to craft it.
Approvals can be...a long time coming. I suggest starting it as soon as possible, if you have time. For instance, my advanced Academy feats (found here) have forced several of the judges to take some time to think. They already have one YES vote, but they need more. Of course, I've given them to NPCs already without an issue, but if our PC Academyers want to take them (I believe we have three PCs and a pending cohort), this could delay them.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Hmmm, I understand. I'll balance that against the possibility of it getting approved and somebody else making one before my character has a chance to. I'd hate for Kurgahz to bump into somebody at the RDI who proceeds to show off there new item they just made which is just like what he wants to make. I'll make sure to put it out there for approval with lots of time ahead if ppossible.

In the interim, would there be any problem with him spending money as he gets it to begin gathering the materials to make his item? If I have it clearly marked in his money/item log that I spend X money for materials for a future magic item. I would keep a running total and when there is enough I could then craft the item. It would just feel more real to pick up a little here (in the Sairundin city we just got to) and a little there (wherever we go after that) instead of just going to the Orrussus market and buying it all then making it in his room in the RDI.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Hmmm, I understand. I'll balance that against the possibility of it getting approved and somebody else making one before my character has a chance to. I'd hate for Kurgahz to bump into somebody at the RDI who proceeds to show off there new item they just made which is just like what he wants to make. I'll make sure to put it out there for approval with lots of time ahead if ppossible.

In the interim, would there be any problem with him spending money as he gets it to begin gathering the materials to make his item? If I have it clearly marked in his money/item log that I spend X money for materials for a future magic item. I would keep a running total and when there is enough I could then craft the item. It would just feel more real to pick up a little here (in the Sairundin city we just got to) and a little there (wherever we go after that) instead of just going to the Orrussus market and buying it all then making it in his room in the RDI.
That should always be acceptable, assuming the GM agrees that the town has the sort of materials you need.

Trouvere

Explorer
How is it that Phoenix would need to get approval for Kurgahz to craft a custom item, but could freely drop it into his adventure Darque Demesne as loot (wealth by level guidelines notwithstanding)? Are loot items okayed as part of the adventure approval process?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Trouvere said:
How is it that Phoenix would need to get approval for Kurgahz to craft a custom item, but could freely drop it into his adventure Darque Demesne as loot (wealth by level guidelines notwithstanding)? Are loot items okayed as part of the adventure approval process?
No. It's been inherently the part of the D&D ruleset since ancient days that sometimes items can be found on an adventure that nobody knows how to make nowadays. Consider artifacts.

Loot items are just generally allowed at the GM's discretion unless something looks egregious to the adventure Judge. Similarly, monsters, classes, and feats from non-SRD sources can be used by GMs even if not approved for players. This is in part because GMing in LEW would be a hair-pullingly frustrating experience if all these things needed to be approved. Mostly, it is because these items are limited controlled access, whereas if craftable by PCs, you could have an infinite number floating around.

Patlin

Explorer
I've only once created an item as a DM that I thought was so wacky that I felt I needed to submit it as a proposal. If either the DM or the judge feels that ought to be done, it certainly can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads