(Discussion) General Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Pyrex said:
You don't actually have to cast it 50 times. Creating a CasterLvl 1 wand of CLW takes one day and one casting of CLW (you only need to cast the relevant spell once per day. As the wand has a market value of 750gp it only takes one day to craft)

It's not all about profit margins. Some characters (mine included) want to make stuff (ex: Mwk Strength Bow, arrows) for their own use, we need to figure out what spending x weeks of crafting means. If we go with the 1/2 real-time as CS posted a few posts above that means Remi would have to sit out not adventuring until summer 2005 to make the bow, which pretty much makes craft skills a complete waste as I'd much rather spend the next year-and-a-half actually playing.

I stand corrected, although someone suddenly casting a spell once (albeit for an entire day) and creating an item with 50 charges is daft.

However, your comment has little relevance to my actual statement. If a PC can pump out a Wand a day (@ 750GP/day), or a wand a week etc...and we are going to ignore the time factor, in essence we have someone who can create instant cash at will, provided they are willing to expend the paltry XP cost.

BTW, I feel your pain on the subject of time to craft your bow. My statements are not directed at such endeavors, but at the abuse that will surely arise when a number of mages/Clerics/Whatever are all pumping out magic items like rabbits pump out little rabbits.

The Goblin King

First Post
Someone else is going to have to tackle mundane item crafting.

Also, I feel magic item creation should be done off screen. I don't think anyone wants to sit out for months doing nothing. The system I suggested assumes the actual crafting takes place in the downtime between adventures. Its mainly a hard cap to the number of magic items you can create. Lets say you went on a adventure that lasted three months. When you come back you say, "I spend three days crafting three scrolls since I don't want to run out of spells again." You spend the gold and XP do it. You couldn't create something that took four months because you don't have enough day accumulated.

Geez, I suck at this writing thing. Does any of what I wrote make sense?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Either way a person who is crafting an item would have more than one shot of CLW available per day anyway. Craft wands = 5th caster level minimum, so the cleric should have closer to 10 shots of clw per day to put into the wand, if you use spells on a 1 for 1 basis (which makes sense). So using the system your working with, it would take about 5 days to make a clw wand with all spells spent on clw.

Now, Uriel, did you read my post on the last page with the analysis? I gave a system for judging crafting time that I'm comfortable with, but I need people's input, especially on scaling how real time relates to downtime in game. You keep discussing this as if nobody has submitted a solution, but I have, and if it's really FUBAR then give me some pointers on where to alter the idea.

The analysis is on the previous page, but here's where I got to examining a solution that I thought made sense given what I was able to figure, though I've tempered the wording a bit. What I'd like to know is how does this concept need to be shaped.

Proposal A
For every x days of real time spent crafting items (not adventuring), the character has 1 day of character item creation time to spend. For example, when an adventure ends, a character can spend x days of time in between an adventure to create one magic item of 1000 gp value or less.

This may need to be thoroughly altered when dealing with craft skills and profession skills. A possiblity could be to make 1 day of magic item creation and 1 week of crafting the same to try and make the two work more succesfully in unison.

An additional alteration could be to remove the "continuous" work clause of item craftsmanship, or provide a feat that allows this. That way, a 64,000 gp item could slowly be crafted in between adventures.

As far as selling items, the item economy we are currently using says that all PCs are selling items at 50% of their value unless they use the trading post or are members of the Trader PrC. This is our only clause that prevents a character from mass manufacturing CLW wands and selling them. We could also become more intricate with the economy as detailed in my analysis, but it would cost a degree of comfort to me. We could rule that items can be crafted and sold to NPCs at full price, but there should be a limitation of some kind (Trader PRC gains such a benefit, iirc, and if we are continuing the submission acceptance ideas in LEW which I'll bring up again at a much later date).

Lastly, perhaps characters of significantly higher levels should have slightly more time for crafting items during their downtime. This is of the least concern as an issue right now, and likely won't be much of a concern.

Edit Note: Days shouldn't accumulate. That just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Sparky

Proposal B (building on Proposal A)
What about a Crafthall thread where people post what they are working on and can tick off days editing the post as the item grows nearer completion?

We would need something like CS's Proposal A where time flows at some rate analagous to RL either faster or slower or something. My inclination is faster because of the variable flow of time in PbP. If there is a glut of items we should address it after the fact and adjust the flow of time to fix any problems that may have arisen. It may turn out that potions need to be crafted at a different rate than masterwork weapons or wondrous items.

We're only speculating until we give it a spin. Let's pick a rate, try out the Crafthall thread (which I'm envisioning being a sort of item creation bazaar where PCs can post as much or as little flavor text as they wish) or something and make this happen. It should be like the character record, where it isn't an ongoing dialog, but a record of crafting progress. One post per PC. AND the crafting PCs should still be welcome to post in the Tavern, after all, who doesn't want a nice drink after a long day at the forge?

Characters who go on adventures should halt the progress of their work (DMs should remind characters to update their item threads when adventures start). Characters with down time in or between adventures should be able to revisit the Crafthall to work on their items (per the suspension of 'continuous work' in CS's Proposal A).

Last edited:

Sparky

Apologies for back to back posts, but does anyone know where I can find the starting gold for PCs, the SRD doesn't have it and I can't seem to find anywhere online that has it either.

Pyrex

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Proposal A
For every x days of real time spent crafting items (not adventuring), the character has 1 day of character item creation time to spend. For example, when an adventure ends, a character can spend x days of time in between an adventure to create one magic item of 1000 gp value or less.

This may need to be thoroughly altered when dealing with craft skills and profession skills. A possiblity could be to make 1 day of magic item creation and 1 week of crafting the same to try and make the two work more succesfully in unison.

Actually I had a great idea this morning which is a slight modification of your proposal.

For every RT day a caster spends crafting (and not adventuring) the caster makes NumberOfItemFeats days worth of progress on the item he's currently crafting.

For every RT day a character spends using Craft or Profession skills, the character makes (0.5)*(SkillRanks) weeks worth of progress on the item he's crafting. (Using this model we should probably assume that everyone always takes 10 when using craft/profession skills)

dpdx

Explorer
My problem with Creamsteak's proposal A is with that ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Proposal A is saying that it will take x days of real time to get one day of crafting time to work on stuff.

Presumably this will stop the Amazon-like flow of wands of CLW into our local LEW economy, and DMs will not be forced to -gasp!- harm PCs in new and inventive ways! There won't be a crippling run on cross-class ranks in UMD! Oh, the relief! Our savior!

I'm presuming x is any number larger than 1, which is totally unworkable (ah! at last! for LEW's 5th anniversary, my masterwork flail is FINISHED!, and I only started it at the beginning!), but even if x=1, how is this any different than what's going on defacto now?

I'm inclined to trust Pyrex' assessment of the situation, except the Number of Item Feats (or, if you like, NumberofItemFeats) is confusing. How many Item Feats are there? There's Craft Magic Weapons and Armor, and... what?

Better go with Ranks for weapons and armor, at least.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
ItemFeats={Brew Potion; Scribe Scroll; Craft Rod; Craft Staff; Craft Wand, Craft Wonderous Item; Craft Arms & Armor}

The idea behind using #Feats as a scaling factor was to allow high-level mages to craft things a bit faster. "Artificer" characters (who are likely to have many crafting feats) will be creating much faster, but that seems a reasonable benefit for having purchased multiple Item feats.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
To be completely off-topic here... Pyrex, you wouldn't happen to be a programmer would you?

Now to post something on-topic... I like Pyrex's idea.

Pyrex

First Post
I know how to write code, but don't do so for a living
(close though, I'm a software tester w/ a CS degree).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads