• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Yurith said:
err...thanks and all. But the thing is, all those instructions meant :confused: to me.
Take each of the steps on at a time. Download the sheet, write you character in there. Look at your stats, and buy them correctly. Et cetera...

I'd recommend getting a buddy to help you out if you're confused.

Manzanita

First Post
orsal said:
I think 100 XP/level is a lot. I think scaling it by level makes sense, but if we do go that route, I'd advocate lowering the number, maybe 50 XP/level...

Back to this XP/month thing. I have no argument against Orsal's post. 50 XPs/month/level is better than the current 100 xp/month. But the whole thing must be rooted in how fast we think PCs should advance.

What brought this up for me was the realization that my EN world adventures have been running for nearly a year now, and will probably go over a year before this one's through. The characters who've been through it have now advanced two levels + a few XPs. Perhaps two levels/year is a good rate for PbP. But my adventure's have run at a rapid rate, and I've tried to be fairly generous w/XPs. Most PCs experience a lot more down time. For instance, between my two PCs, they've been abandoned 4 times by their DMs, and experienced a fair bit of down time both in adventures and in the Inn. Thus even though they've been as active as i could make them for close to 18 months, one is 2nd level, the other 3rd.

I'd love to have Iggy become a loremaster before I'm in a nursing home, (although they'll probably all be wired for high speed internet access by the time I'm there), I don't have a problem w 100 XPs/month/level during adventures.

Does anyone else have any comments on this before I set up a proposal thead?

Xael

First Post
Manzanita said:
Does anyone else have any comments on this before I set up a proposal thead?

As a player of two wannabe item-crafters, I can say that the scaling the monthly Xp per level sounds good to me. I can't really say anything about the amount, but the 100 Xp per month per level sounds like a nice, round number. Though you might want to lower it towards the high-level end, or 20th level characters (yeah, like we'll see them for a while), would gather 2000 experience per month of adventuring. Though they need a ridiculous amount of experience to advance anyway...

Manzanita

First Post
Would the xp be awarded retroactively?

This would be way too complex to make retroactive, in my opinion. I would think it should be effective for XP awards given (not necessarily earned) after the proposal were approved.

Velmont

First Post
A thing to take note is, with greater XP reward should come greater GP reward, so a lvl7 player doesn't finish with the equipement of a 4th level character, but that, I think, will be handle correctly.

Rinaldo has been running since the start and is now 4th level (2nd character to reach it I think). Which mean we can hope to have our first 7th level not before another year, and the first EPIC before... maybe 5 or 6 year (wonder if anyone will reach that level...). Anyway, the big disadvantage to slow progress is the slow development of the world (well, maybe it is an advantage...). Coming back to Rinaldo, he is a merchant, and I hope to open a shop with him, but it won't be before he reach a few level in Trader PrC (so, maybe around 7th), so it would be another thing to think about.

Personally, I am fine with the 50xp/month/level, but I would suggest a slower rate at higher level, as I've always favored world with few high level, and I don't want to see a bunch of 15th level ruling the world and starting to ruin the interest of the low-level characters (which frequently happen in mass computer game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads