Discussion of Scotley's upcoming 4e Swashbuckler Game

Scotley

Hero
Ahh, that's what this is! Excellent!

*reads the intro post*

Interesting! I like it! A few questions:

1) Firearms?

2) The role of magic. Is it considered good? Bad? A gift of the gods, or the tool of the devils? Or is it like fire and lightning...a force of nature that can be used for good or ill, but is in itself neither?

3) Religion! Traditional polytheism? Eberronic divine lassaiz-faire? Historical exclusive monotheist monopoly?

4) Social constraints! Is it the politically correct world devoid of sexism, racism and other 'isms'? (Unless you're an orc, or kobold or whatever) Or are there societal expectations placed on people based on their gender, social standing, race, and so on?

Excellent questions.
I've been pondering firearms for a while now. Can you be a musketeer without a musket? I leave it to the players to come to a consensus. If you choose to have firearms available I expect to keep it simple and based on the crossbow as a model.

Magic--in the kingdom (name coming soon) you are in the average folk are inclined to see it as a force of nature, it can be used for good or ill and they are frightened of it. Certainly there are factions who take the divine and infernal view as well.

Religion--Polytheism--4e default gods, but Erathis Goddess of city and civilization holds considerable sway just now in the kingdom (drat still no name) as Archmandress Leontine religious leader of Erathis has the ear of the king and is perhaps the most powerful person in the city. The relative power of the deities' earthly organizations varies from kingdom to kingdom.

Social Constrains are more modern than 16th century France, but some chauvinism persists and their is a definite class structure with nobility and lesser men. The presence of magic tends to make it hard to repress a particular group when some members of that group are born sorcerers/sorceresses. The Kingdom (crap I gotta come up with a name!) is fairly cosmopolitan, but other areas around could be quite repressive as you choose to fit your backstory. I'm picturing humans and close relatives like elves and dwarves to be dominant here, but in other areas 'humanoid' races dominate. One important NPC member of the Hounds of the Horn (your order) is an old minotaur.

Shayuri

First Post
Hey, I have a crazy urge to try out the Essentials Rogue class...and this seems like the perfect game for it, as it's very swashy.

That be okay?

renau1g

First Post
Scotley, would you be ok with reflavouring of powers? I was thinking of maybe a bow-ranger, but using either a musket, or dual pistols, or something like that?

Scotley

Hero
This looks interesting. I will continue lurking unless otherwise directed.

Let me see how many more of those from my ending games jump onboard. If it doesn't get too out of control I'll try and de-lurk you. I think you would add a lot to the game.

Scotley

Hero
Hey, I have a crazy urge to try out the Essentials Rogue class...and this seems like the perfect game for it, as it's very swashy.

That be okay?

Absolutely! I have Heroes of the Fallen Lands, so any of that stuff is fair game.

I have the Rules Compendium as well and plan to rely on it as the definative source since a lot of my books are first printings and I don't always remember to check all the errata.

I dont' have the other stuff Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom or whatever. I do have some 3rd party stuff and I'll address it on a case by case basis if anyone is interested.

Scotley

Hero
Scotley, would you be ok with reflavouring of powers? I was thinking of maybe a bow-ranger, but using either a musket, or dual pistols, or something like that?

If the presence of firearms isn't going to spoil the mood for your fellow players I would definately support this.

Scotley

Hero

Attachments

• chandelier.gif
    chandelier.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 81

Lou

Explorer
Ok, I'm in. I'm fine with firearms. Ali will have a dualist's mentality that looks down on firearm use by those who aren't his friends.

If the setting is "France", then Alejandro (Ali) Arroyo is a human defending swordmage from "Spain". He is a convert to the worship of Erathis due to being saved from certain death (a childhood fire that left him an orphan) by a missionary cleric of Erathis.

Scotley, I'll need some help putting Ali together.

[That's not too circus freakish is it? Or not circus freakish enough?]

Are we using rolls or preset values for abilities?

Last edited:

Remove ads