Discussion: Possible M&M

Insight

Adventurer
What kind of power levels are you looking at? And what books are available?

It sounds like the game will likely go PL 8-10. In terms of books, I have just about everything for 2nd ed, which is what I prefer to use at this point. Powers would be built using the guidelines in Ultimate Power. We can go over more specifics once we decide how this is going to go.

Shayuri

First Post
Well I think we could go two ways on this.

The first way would be that super powered humans are all but unheard of, and that the PC's are unique, or close to unique in that sense. Our opponents are not powerful humans, but some kind of inhuman creature(s). There may or may not be a 'subtlety clause' we're supposed to follow.

The advantage of that is that we can have somewhat more flexible designs, since our foes will be...to some extent...catagorizable, and we won't have to worry about supervillains with random powers coming along to mess us up as often. Plus, it evokes interesting questions about who and what we are.

The second way is more what you're talking about, which works out to be a lot more 4 color, and more similar to a situation like X-men...where the threat is supers, and the world is suspicious of them and doesn't know much about them. Of course, insert into this equation the notion that maybe "Xavier" isn't the great guy he seems like...and maybe the students are intended more to be living weapons against their own kind...and you get an interesting layer of intrigue to spice things up.

:)

Either way, I like the idea that we start out with a world that presents itself a certain way to us...but which reveals new truths and new twists as we start to explore it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'd imagine that Freedom City could work as a background for either method, if you like it Insight. Obviously it's built for the second scenario. And from my (admittedly brief) perusal, it seems like a few small tweaks could fit the first scenario.

Heroes existed in the past in numbers, but for whatever reason they faded from the world about a century ago. Records exist of their existence, but nobody alive remembers seeing them. The serpent people/Lemurians work as a more subtle threat. What happened to humanity's defenders? And where did the young crop come from that the Claremont Academy has gathered?

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck. I hope you're all quite successful in this cool-sounding game. You've got capable players and a capable GM. Can't go wrong!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
*MAYBE* it could be a situation akin to Patriot's hook from Paragons. That being that the power of belief is somehow tied into the powers. That is, people *stopped* believing in the supernatural so it "went away" and now since alot of people are into the apocalyptic/new age 2012 mindset their mass desires/beliefs in the supernatural is now causing supernatural/paranormal forces to re-surge.

Or maybe its not belief, but something else. Ie "the stars are right", "end times are coming", "the coming of age of the indigo children", "the age of Aquarius" or some other new-age explanation is being used to explain the appearance of paranormal powers/abilities.

This of course means that anyone creating a school which trains "paranormal" humans would have access to occult/esoteric knowledge and might be tried into some secret society.

Insight

Adventurer
So far, I like the idea of an academy of some sort as the core of where the characters come from. Regardless of what other decisions are made about the setting, scope, and genre, I'd like to keep that core concept intact.

The academy serves as a training ground, of course, and training for what is the next core question. As I see it, the two options are:

1. Training to do battle with supernatural / alien / futuristic creatures and bad guys. This would have more of a "gritty" feel to it.

2. Training to do battle with other supers. This would have more of a "4-color" feel to it.

These aren't necessarily exclusive options, but the idea of going 4-color vs. more of a gritty theme does sorta make the decision for us. You could have 4-color ghosts, demons, and vampires and you could have gritty supers, but I think I'd like to keep the genres from intermixing for now.

In terms of setting, the modern world makes the most sense, and it seems that everyone is in agreement on that. Different takes on the modern world are possible, of course, including somewhat retro and somewhat future takes on it (for example, I like the idea of a post-2012 as being a false "apocalypse", but having some effect on humanity creating supers).

There's also the question of what sort of stories we want to explore. The "academy purpose" question above can address this to a certain extent, but within either option are genres such as horror, espionage, crime-fighting, conspiracy, weird science, and so forth.

For now, let's vote on one of the following options:

1. The Academy trains young supers to do battle with rogue supers causing trouble in the world. This would be the "4-color" option.

2. The Academy trains young people with extraordinary abilities to defend Earth against the encroachment of aliens/supernatural horrors/etc. This would be the "gritty" option.

Once we have this decision made, some of the other decisions become easier to determine.

Shayuri

First Post
Tuff one!

I do like me some grit...but 4 color has a classic appeal.

My druthers is for the grittier approach, if only because there aren't many such games around compared to 4 color. That said, I like both ideas and would happily play either.

jkason

First Post
As Shayuri, I'd be happy playing either. I like both atmospheres, but I think maybe the 'academy purpose' angle lends itself slightly more to the 'gritty' option, so if I'm choosing, I choose that.

Remove ads