Discussion: Selling Stuff to PCs

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL Even if that happened JoeNotCharles, that only works if the two weapons JUST happened to be exactly the same level. If the paladin got a level 4 weapon and the fighter got a level 5 weapon they are plain out of luck. Honestly, if that happened I think it'd be better to let if fall under a proposal for them instead of adding barter just for equal levels.

This might work if you allowed a range for barter, say level +/-2 or the in the same 'plus' level (IE 1-5, 6-10 ect).

Voda Vosa

First Post
I'll repost since I think no one saw this: What if the re-selling is a one time deal? You can have an item for half the prize but you can't sell it to other pc. It could be noted in the character sheet that the item was bouth from X character, then the flow of items will be cut out. The second PC could sell the item for 1/5th of it's original value to an npc t get some of his gold back, and that'll be all.

elecgraystone

First Post
Oh, I saw it Voda Vosa. It just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. It's mean tracking every item that's sold and having some way to mark an item as second hand.

Notes wouldn't cut it for one reason. Lets say you sell it for 1/2 price and note it on both sheets. Now, lets say we can barter and that second player swaps it with a third person. The only note on the third persons sheet would be 'swapped' and then they could sell it for 1/2. ;)

Add to that the fact that is just plain makes no in game sense. What makes the item a player got from you different from the one he got in his last adventure?

Kalidrev

First Post
V.V.,

Unfortunately, what you propose still causes an issue in the DnD economy. If I buy something for 1/2 price from a PC, but my friend that wants the same item as me, is the same level as me, and has the same amount of gold as me wants that item too, he has to buy it from an NPC for 2 times the price that I paid for it. Now if this happens only once, no big deal. If this happens multiple times (and I'm sure we would see this happen) there could be a significant difference in power level down the line, as I would have more gold to buy better items down the line due to all the money I saved. This would also be true for he/she who sells their items for 50% rather than for 1/5th (20%). Eventually they would end up with more gold than they should for their level which would allow them to buy better items, causing another disturbance in the power curve. All in all, I just think its a bad idea because it means that SOME people will get their items for cheap, while other will have to buy them at full price. Some people will sell their items for 50%, and other will either have to sell them for 20% (1/5th price) OR they will hold onto that item until they find a buyer, which may never come about. Either way, they are down on gp in comparison to the PC who sold to another PC. On top of this, even if we place a "only once per item" limit on PC to PC sales, that means that whoever bought the item from another PC would get to sell it for 1/5th the price once he is done with it. All in all, that means that (after the final sale of the item to an NPC) the user has only spent 30% of the base price of the item (save 50% on initial sale, then gain 20% back when selling to NPC = 70%). That is a big power flux down the line if it happens multiple times.

elecgraystone

First Post
While I don't agree with Vodo Vosa's suggestion, I don't see an issue in the DnD economy even if we sold things off at 100% cost. DM's look to see what we already have when they put treasure in. At worst, I have exactly the amount of treasure as I ended my last adventure with (if I sell for 100%) or I have less than I ended up with (sell at 1/5). If I sell for 1/5, that just means I can expect to get extra treasure next adventure since I'm 'behind the curve'.

The only issue I can see is how much imput the character have in their equipment. The person that gets everything they've wanted ends up farther ahead than the person that gets so-so items and has to trade a bunch in at 1/5th price to get what they want. Then the guy with less gets more stuff next time and if it's not really what they want they have to go back and sell it for 1/5...

Sometimes I think maybe getting a big pile of gold for a reward might not be the best item ever. ;)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Since there doesn't seem to be a limit as to what can be bought... then why not just make it so that you can ONLY sell to an NPC vendor? You get the 1/5th and if someone wants to buy that specific weapon... flavor it that way.

I would think that is the only the economists (sorry, had to) will be happy since it won't effect the economy at all. PC's will still get their gold... So a PC may not get as much gold, that's not an issue in my opinion. We get plenty from an adventures and I don't think that anyone would seriously complain about it.

So.. In summary: Sell @ 1/5, buy and flavor, rinse repeat.

elecgraystone

First Post
While that makes perfect out of game sense, it's kind of wonky in game OnlytheStrong. "I'd love to trade you this frost sword for your lightning sword but I can't. We both have to go over to the vendor and get 1/5 the cost. Hey wait! Now neither one of us has a sword and not enough money to buy another. That didn't work out right..."

The fact that you can swap items all you want out of town but the instant you go to town you can't would be a big inconsistency.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The fact that you can swap items all you want out of town but the instant you go to town you can't would be a big inconsistency.

So is the fact that my Fighter can make one powerful Brute Smash, which takes so much out of him he has to wait an entire day before he can do it again - but somehow, this doesn't make him too tired to do any other fancy maneuvers.

The world doesn't run on consistency, it runs on game balance.

renau1g

First Post
It's also odd that it costs a PC wizard the full cost of an item to make it despite having to spend considerable resources on the enchant item ritual, but somehow the NPC can make it for the same price (and presumably have a profit built in). Worst case the wizard should be able to make it for 5-10% less (even assuming a super low margin). Again, realistic? Not really.

It also doesn't make sense that a PC who travels to a distant island for adventure and is gone for a few weeks returns and interacts with a PC who just returned from a two day adventure in town even though they left on their respective adventures at the same time.

Remove ads