• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussions about writing in '4e compatable' mode?

Writer@Large

First Post
I see that some publishers are foregoing GSL and publishing "4e Compatible," and I have further seen at least one writer online note that doing so is possible with the 3.5 OGL. But, is there a discussion going anywhere, or a forum, that talks about HOW to do this? That is, how to write in a 4e compatible style, without violating copyright?

--W@L

arscott

First Post
The quick and easy version is that copyright doesn't actually protect game rules, so as long as they stick to rules they're fine.

The longer and more complicated version is that the way one determines what's rules and what isn't is for the potentially infringed company (WotC, in this case) to sue the potential infringers (Everyone making adventures w/out the GSL), and let the courts decide. While there's a pretty good chance that the courts will rule in favor of the 3rd parties, being sued by a major corporation is never a fun experience.

Harr

First Post
But, is there a discussion going anywhere, or a forum, that talks about HOW to do this? That is, how to write in a 4e compatible style, without violating copyright?

Yep, it's easy, here's how:

1) Get off the online forums
2) Hire a lawyer & ask them
3) Do what your lawyer says
4) ???
5) Profit!

evilref

Explorer

4) ???
5) Profit!

What Harr says, this isn't something you can just get a bit of advice on and do, this is a whole different pool to swim around in to the OGL.

infax

First Post

4) ???
5) Profit!

Great advice, Harr.

On the other hand, is it just me or is it REALLY hard, of late, finding people offering advice on ENWorld without tons of snark?

Good luck with your plans W@L.

Harr

First Post
On the other hand, is it just me or is it REALLY hard, of late, finding people offering advice on ENWorld without tons of snark?

It is, which is yet another reason to follow Harr's 5-step Plan to Success :)

Anyways, I didn't mean it as 'mean' snark, just a more playful way of saying 'don't ask for legal advice on forums'. Maybe a smiley face was in order, to take the edge off :)

mcrow

Explorer
What do you mean by 'stick to the rules'?

Basically you have to stay away from names and other product ID.

Refering to anything that would be setting material, like the Gods listed in the PHB. However, there is nothing saying you can't describe the mechanics of the game in your own words. You pretty much have to reword things so they can't sue you for copying and pasting their book.

am181d

Adventurer
The problem is that WotC will be *looking* to sue people who go this route, and there are a lot of murky gray areas. Certainly classes like Tiefling, Eladrin, and Dragonborn are protected by copyright and their precise powers may also be protected. You may encounter similar problems with classes. Rules mechanics are one thing, but "a world where there are people called paladins who can do X, Y, and Z" is arguably copyrightable.

Unless you're doing a total rebuild from base mechanics like Mutants & Masterminds, I suspect that you're going to run into trouble eventually...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads