• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dismissing nature's allies

ericlboyd

Explorer
What spells (if any) will banish/dismiss a nature's ally? (Compare dismissal and banishment against summon nature's ally I.) I'm assuming dismissal/banishment won't work.

--Eric

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
ericlboyd said:
What spells (if any) will banish/dismiss a nature's ally? (Compare dismissal and banishment against summon nature's ally I.) I'm assuming dismissal/banishment won't work.

--Eric
Dispel...

Mike

DM2

First Post
So it works the same as summon monster spells?

I had kind of assumed not, since it was summoning an animal, and not some celestial/fiendish creature from another plane...where it would return unharmed if it "died' in the prime.

So...does a bear summoned by SNA spells that is killed disappear and reappear wherever it originally was, none the worse for wear?

DM2

DM2

First Post
I can clarify my own question, since I bothered to peruse the SRD :)

Summoning: A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is
dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless
the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0
or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.
When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned
creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to
use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

SNA is a summoning spell, so the bear doesn't die for real if killed after being summoned by the druid....it reforms over 24 hours in its original location.

Still a rough process for the summoned creature, and reason not to summon animals lightly (talk about disruptive to the environment as mama bear is summoned away from her young, killed, and doesn't show up for 24 hours).

DM2

mikebr99

Explorer
DM2 said:
So it works the same as summon monster spells?

I had kind of assumed not, since it was summoning an animal, and not some celestial/fiendish creature from another plane...where it would return unharmed if it "died' in the prime.

So...does a bear summoned by SNA spells that is killed disappear and reappear wherever it originally was, none the worse for wear?

DM2
Both are the same now... that way there isn't any sticky issues with a Druid killing all those animals while holding off the Orc hordes.

YMMV

Mike

Nail

First Post
DM2 said:
Still a rough process for the summoned creature, and reason not to summon animals lightly (talk about disruptive to the environment as mama bear is summoned away from her young, killed, and doesn't show up for 24 hours).
Although the spell says "natural creature", it doesn't exactly specify from where such creature is taken.....or if any creature is taken at all. That's the DMs territory.

As long as that "other place" is not extraplanar, the Dismissal spell won't work. Dispel Magic or Antimagic Field will.

Heck, even Magic Circle against Evil is effective. It won't get rid of the summoned ally, but it will keep it at bay. (Hmmm. Does it prevent reach attacks? It doesn't look like it.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads