• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dispel happy Druid

jason_gosse

First Post
There is a druid in my party who is a little too quick to use dispel. He has used dispel to defeat constructs, and this bothers me. It does not seem right for to be able to defeat these creatures so simply. I am look for the rules on the creation of constucts so I can determine whether this is allowed.

jason_gosse

First Post
Piratecat said:
A dispel magic doesn't generally do anything to a construct. Can you please provide details?

Well, it's simple: this individual seems to believe that if he casts dispel magic on, say, a juggernaut, then said juggernaut will become inactive. He does not make any check to do this. His belief on the subject is that if a construct is magical he can dispel it. I'm not sure what details you are looking for, but this is how he does it. I've found the appropriate check for dispel magic and will bring it up with him and the DM, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for constructs, or where he would get the opposed check.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Dispel magic is very specific about what it does and does not affect: spells, ongoing spell effects, and magical items. Constructs fall into none of these categories. Not affected.

Any more than undead, who's nature is also magical, would be affected.

Your druid friend is out and out wrong and cannot support his statements with anything in the RAW.

DC

jason_gosse said:
Well, it's simple: this individual seems to believe that if he casts dispel magic on, say, a juggernaut, then said juggernaut will become inactive. He does not make any check to do this.

Where's the DM when all of this is happening?!? Players can think whatever they want; it doesn't mean it'll actually be true. ;)

jason_gosse

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Where's the DM when all of this is happening?!? Players can think whatever they want; it doesn't mean it'll actually be true. ;)
He is a first time DM and he dose not catch everything. I have been trying to help keep this guy in check since he makes alot of . . . shall I say . . . "Mistakes"

Darklone

jason_gosse said:
He is a first time DM and he dose not catch everything. I have been trying to help keep this guy in check since he makes alot of . . . shall I say . . . "Mistakes"
I guess oddly advantageous "mistakes"? ;)

Tell him he's playing a druid, he will be overpowered anyhow, he doesn't have to cheat or sweettalk the DM with apparently logical arguments.

No offense meant.

Dispel magic will work greatly against Astral Constructs by the way, for these are summoned creatures.

One of the trickiest things about being a rookie DM is not being convinced by what might otherwise be a perfectly logical position. It's important to stick to the rules as much as possible until you have a solid understanding of how things work and, more importantly, why they work the way they do.

I used to DM a game with a player who was significantly older than the rest of us (we were just kids at the time) and a lot of his ideas sounded ingenius to us and we looked to him for answers and rarely challenged his experience. Over time, however, we began to realize he wasn't as insightful as we'd given him credit for and by the end of his participation, he was pretty much looked on as a comical figure who didn't know half a tenth as much as what he claimed to know.

It might sound logical that a dispel magic can negate/suppress a construct, but unless there's a rules reference to back it up then be careful b/c there's probably a reason that reference isn't there to be found. (And nerfing every construct with a simple dispel magic is a good example)

Last edited:

Quidam

First Post
But aren't constructs magic items? Do you not take the Craft Construct feat and follow rules precisely like those detailed for other magic items?

Is there a specific citation making explicit the difference between constructs and other magic items when it comes to dispel magic?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads