• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ditching 'unarmed attack' mechanics?

rkanodia

First Post
I've been considering doing away entirely with the 'unarmed attack' mechanics, and just giving all the PHB races natural attack modes of 2 slams 1d3/1d3 (2 slams 1d2/1d2 for Small characters). Basically, any character who plans on doing any bare-knuckle fighting is going to be a monk anyway, and any character who doesn't plan on doing bare-knuckle fighting, but ends up doing it anyway, is already screwed enough without all this stuff about 'no threatened area' and 'draw AoO for every attack'. It just seems like a clumsy mechanic, and is already enough of a hassle.

Can anyone see areas where this could unbalance the game? The only potential problem I can really see is a one-handed weapon user getting an extra attack (at -5 from his top attack bonus) every round. However, I don't really see 1d3 + half your Strength bonus as being unbalancing, especially when characters who fight using a single one-handed weapon basically get jack for feats.

BSF

Explorer
Cinematically, it may work out quite well for you. Think of the number of movie scenes where two combatants bind up each other's swords and then take a swing with a fist.

Alternatively, give everyone the unarmed attack feat for a single additional attack. It can be a kick, a knee, an elbow, a fist, a head-butt, etc. Just add it to everyone, two-weapon fighters could still kick. It would even give a monk one more attack. Just scale it across everyone and house-rule it so you don't have to worry about the unarmed attack penalites.

rkanodia

First Post
I'm not quite sure I want to take it that far. Giving one-handed weapon wielders a leg (er, fist) up isn't likely to make much of a difference, and it probably won't ever get seen anyway. However, if the cinematic effect is one goal, then letting everybody make an extra unarmed attack every round will defeat the special feeling of it. A Tactical feat might suit this situation well. In my campaign, the Improved Unarmed Strike prereq would be waived.

Substance over Style: You know many 'dirty' techniques for fighting, making you an effective (if classless) combatant.
Prerequisites: BAB 6+, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Benefit: The Substance over Style feat enables the use of three tactical manuvers.
Tenacious Press: To use this manuver, you must attack (and miss) an enemy in melee combat at least twice in one round. You may make an extra attack against that opponent, using your highest base attack bonus, with any availible limb, as though it were a secondary slam attack (-5 attack roll, 1/2 Strength bonus to damage) for a creature of your size. You may only use this manuver once per round.
Kick Em When They're Down: On your turn, as a free action, you may make an unarmed strike, with any availible limb, as though it were a secondary slam attack (-5 attack roll, 1/2 Strength bonus to damage) for a creature of your size, against any opponent who is prone. You may only use this manuver once per round.

Tenacious Press would be the situation you were describing. Perhaps it could instead require you to miss a single attack against an opponent who missed you on their last turn. Any ideas for the third manuver? It seems to be a rule that Tactical feats give you three manuvers, and I'm having brainlock right now.

rkanodia

First Post
Thanks. I think I'll try to think of something for the last manuver that is a defense or counter against 'fancy' attacks like Improved Disarm and Improved Trip.

rkanodia

First Post
I think I got it.

Substance over Style: You know many 'dirty' techniques for fighting, making you an effective (if classless) combatant.
Prerequisites: BAB 6+, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Benefit: The Substance over Style feat enables the use of three tactical manuvers.
Tenacious Press: To use this manuver, you must attack (and miss) an enemy in melee combat at least twice in one round. You may make an extra attack against that opponent, using your highest base attack bonus, with any availible limb, as though it were a secondary slam attack (-5 attack roll, 1/2 Strength bonus to damage) for a creature of your size. You may only use this manuver once per round.
Kick Em When They're Down: On your turn, as a free action, you may make an unarmed strike, with any availible limb, as though it were a secondary slam attack (-5 attack roll, 1/2 Strength bonus to damage) for a creature of your size, against any opponent who is prone. You may only use this manuver once per round.
Scornful Blow: To use this manuver, an opponent must attempt (and fail) to disarm you, trip you, demoralize you via Intimidation, or feint against you. On your next turn, your first melee attack against that opponent gets a +2 bonus to attack and damage, if you use it as a normal damage-dealing attack.

What do you think?

BSF

Explorer
What do I think? I think I might try to talk my DM into allowing this for my 17th level fighter. Coupled with Improved Trip, this could be fun. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads