• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine caster with no god

ruleslawyer

The problem is that the domains are by no means balanced against each other. However, that's a mechanical issue rather than a flavor one, and should be balanced mechanically (ideally by making all domains as close to equal in power as possible).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Voadam said:
Godless cleric examples

1 jedi
2 pantheon worshippers (I'm the priest of the gods, I give worship and propitiation as required).
3 think Taoist monk (the varieties that don't incorporate deity worship). There is divinity, but not a specified deity. Many martial arts movies have this archetype ("I am guided by the will of heaven").
4 Make them specific magical orders that tap divine (not god) energy with specific alignment geases.

I'll add a 5) worships a single diety of a monothiestic religion, which has all domains available to it because this diety is the single all-powerful diety.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So you want said cleric to say "Hey I can use TIME since I like it!" huh Mist.

Sorry but while I respect monotheism in real life, it's not allowed me to cast raise dead any time soon.

Mistwell

Nightfall said:
So you want said cleric to say "Hey I can use TIME since I like it!" huh Mist.

Sorry but while I respect monotheism in real life, it's not allowed me to cast raise dead any time soon.

Yes, I think players should be able to choose their two domains if it makes sense from a role playing perspective and it isn't unbalancing. I also do not think the Time domain is nearly as powerful as you do, particularly if it is not combined with something like Elf.

I think a monotheistic religion in d20 is quite doable (and has been done by many third parties in fact). If the players want to have a cleric of Zoroastrianism (for example), and it makes sense for what they are trying to do as far as role playing goes, and they are not unbalancing the game with their choices in my opinion, then yeah go for it.

Nightfall

Eh I just don't like time stop at will... But the +2 to initi isn't that bad. It's just the spell list. But combining it with something else is what worries me. Not elf but something equally bad, like say...travel perhaps.

Mistwell

Nightfall said:
Eh I just don't like time stop at will... But the +2 to initi isn't that bad. It's just the spell list. But combining it with something else is what worries me. Not elf but something equally bad, like say...travel perhaps.

What "time stop at will"? The domains granted power is "You gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat." The only mention of Time Stop is as a 9th level spell.

Nightfall

A friend of mine had Spell and Time domains. Therefore he could prepare Any spell and thus could use it to prepare time stops that were persistent by the time he was...15th level.

Panask

First Post
IMC all clerics must worship a deity (or small group of related deities), but I'm quite willing to let the player invent a "little-known" god. The player gets the domains he wants, I get a new deity for my campaign (some of which have gone on to be of no small importance), and the player can come up with inventive ways to role-play a cleric of that particular god - new exclamations, new holidays, new folktales. I'll help out if they want, but I've been blessed with imaginative players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads