• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Champion from FR - is it worth it?

Ranger5

First Post
Right now I am playing a paladin of Torm in a FR campaign. I was thinking of multiclassing into Divine Champion at 8th level. Since I have never actually used this PrC before (either as player or DM), I was wondering if it is worth it. I have read the class abilities and I believe I understand them all but they may be different in practice than on paper.

Also, did the class undergo a revision in the new Player's Guide to Faerun? I plan on picking the book up but I haven't had a chance yet.

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Ranger5

First Post
D'oh! Wrong place to post this. Sorry. If a mod could move it to the General Discussion that would be great. Thanks.

Silveras

First Post
Ranger5 said:
Right now I am playing a paladin of Torm in a FR campaign. I was thinking of multiclassing into Divine Champion at 8th level. Since I have never actually used this PrC before (either as player or DM), I was wondering if it is worth it. I have read the class abilities and I believe I understand them all but they may be different in practice than on paper.

Also, did the class undergo a revision in the new Player's Guide to Faerun? I plan on picking the book up but I haven't had a chance yet.

The Divine Champion class is indeed in the PGtF. Glancing quickly, the abilities look mostly the same, but the Reflex save is downgraded to Poor. The bonus feats now have a specific list instead of just being Fighter feats. The lay on hands ability is tweaked a little. You may want to read the re-worded versions before you commit yourself.

Ranger5

First Post
Silveras said:
The Divine Champion class is indeed in the PGtF. Glancing quickly, the abilities look mostly the same, but the Reflex save is downgraded to Poor. The bonus feats now have a specific list instead of just being Fighter feats. The lay on hands ability is tweaked a little. You may want to read the re-worded versions before you commit yourself.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

WCrawford

First Post
Unless the PrC was changed in the PGtF, a paladin multi-classing into it would not be able to continue to advance as a paladin later. For this reason, it may not be worth multi-calssing into for your character, but only you can decide that.

Jhulae

First Post
Ranger5 said:

Well, I haven't really looked over the updated version, but even based on the older version, Divine Champion seems to be meant more for non-paladins, allowing them to get some paladin like abilities.

When I was playing my paladin, losing 'warhorse' ability and spellcasting ability just didn't seem worth it for the benefits Divine Champion gave.

Urbannen

First Post
Divine Champion seems to be designed as a fighter multiclass. You get bonus feats as a fighter plus some extra stuff to make you divine. You possibly give up early access to Greater Weapon Focus and Specialization.

Even though the campaign I'm in won't last that long, I was planning on my elf ftr/wiz on becoming a Divine Champion of Corellon Larethian. I was disappointed that they hosed the only two good things about being a 1st level Divine Champion: the good Reflex save and Spot as a class skill.

If you are a straight-classed fighter, then this class is worth it, IMO.

Ranger5

First Post
Well I ended up picking up the Players Guide to Faerun over the weekend and after looking over the updated Divine Champion, decided against it. I am just going to stay with paladin which is cool.

Also, WCrawford in FR, when playing a paladin, depending on your god, you can actually multiclass without restriction. And for Torm, it says you can multiclass with one other class freely.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Remove ads