D&D 5E Divine intervention level 20 autowin?

Coroc

Hero
I just reread the rules for clerics to resolve another issue then I noticed:

At level 20 divine intervention auto-succeeds. Does that mean a level 20 cleric has the powers of a god at his whim?

What are the limits of this skill or is it DMs decision what is working and what isn't ?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I just reread the rules for clerics to resolve another issue then I noticed:

At level 20 divine intervention auto-succeeds. Does that mean a level 20 cleric has the powers of a god at his whim?

What are the limits of this skill or is it DMs decision what is working and what isn't ?
It's entirely up to the DM but the rules suggest them replicating a spell within their class list or domain spell list as the intervention. You also can't use it again for 1 whole week.

If your DM is a big meany, he can actually just have the deity intervene in a negative way since the deity is under no obligation to actually be helpful despite having been called for aid. Wouldn't recommend any DM actually do this since it would objectively suck and it would be what's known as a "dick move."

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Just for reference, I like to post what people are discussing (highlight added):
1598613241793.png

First, you can only use it once per week, even at level 20. So, it can greatly help, but I hope you have it available when you really need it. :)

Second, I highlighted the part about what sort of power the intervention might grant. Depending on the situation, (in combat typically) something the level of a gating in a Solar, a Mass Heal to the whole party, etc. is appropriate IMO, especially at level 20.

Of course, the DM could have the party lifting out of a battle and transported to a place of safety. In battling a legion of vampires, turning night into day, or whatever. At this point, it depends on the level of relative power the DM has in their game style.

For example, in our main game we have used it twice (and had it answered BOTH times!), the DM decided the power would grant every PC the benefits of a long rest. So, a "reset" button if you will. But, our main game is very high-powered...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just for reference, I like to post what people are discussing (highlight added):
View attachment 125197

First, you can only use it once per week, even at level 20. So, it can greatly help, but I hope you have it available when you really need it. :)

Second, I highlighted the part about what sort of power the intervention might grant. Depending on the situation, (in combat typically) something the level of a gating in a Solar, a Mass Heal to the whole party, etc. is appropriate IMO, especially at level 20.

Of course, the DM could have the party lifting out of a battle and transported to a place of safety. In battling a legion of vampires, turning night into day, or whatever. At this point, it depends on the level of relative power the DM has in their game style.

For example, in our main game we have used it twice (and had it answered BOTH times!), the DM decided the power would grant every PC the benefits of a long rest. So, a "reset" button if you will. But, our main game is very high-powered...
Great breakdown.

I'd normally do something like a mass healing word + death ward, or raise a dead ally, etc. In the right context, I might even anticipate a DI and say, "Here is the level 20 angellic character sheet for your Paladin that died at level 7. Your god has sent her back in your time of greatest need, to turn the tide. You feel the fire of your god's wrath in your heart, and you burn bright with that fire, sparking the light of hope in your allies, and burning the sight of your enemies. You have 1 round where everyone within 1 mile is under the effect of a sanctuary spell, and you can briefly speak to your party. What do you do?"

Ya know, the sort of miracles that spark new religions.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's entirely up to the DM but the rules suggest them replicating a spell within their class list or domain spell list as the intervention. You also can't use it again for 1 whole week.

If your DM is a big meany, he can actually just have the deity intervene in a negative way since the deity is under no obligation to actually be helpful despite having been called for aid. Wouldn't recommend any DM actually do this since it would objectively suck and it would be what's known as a "dick move."
Have the deity show up and be all "Ugh, you again! It's every week with you!"

MarkB

Legend
View attachment 125197

One thing I'd tend to do with replicating a spell effect is, like Wish, allow the effect to take place immediately even if the spell has a long casting time. So, for the turning night into day, the deity could instantly cast Hallow on the area with the Daylight rider effect - or alter the weather as with Control Weather but without the ten-minute wait.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've had a cleric use it once, got luck level 10 or so.

Basically wished for a mass teleport.

I set up a nasty encounter based in Fallout 4 Quarry but mad it a steam vent instead.

Overlapping fields of fire from fire giants, hellhounds and spell buffed King Snurre rocking a foresight spell.

I granted it.

Remove ads