• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Divine smite and ring of spell storing

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would say no, they can only use the ring to cast the individual spells stored inside it not to power other class abilities such as a sorcerer wanting to convert them into sorcery points or a paladin wanting to convert them into a divine smite.

seebs

Adventurer
No, Divine Smite is not a spell, so he can't.

That's not the question. The question isn't "can you use the ring to cast divine smite". Obviously, divine smite isn't a spell.

But if the ring can cast a spell, that looks a lot like it has a spell slot containing a spell. And the non-spell Divine Smite ability allows you to use spell slots...

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
That's not the question. The question isn't "can you use the ring to cast divine smite". Obviously, divine smite isn't a spell.

But if the ring can cast a spell, that looks a lot like it has a spell slot containing a spell. And the non-spell Divine Smite ability allows you to use spell slots...

You're mistaken on how the ring works. Ring of Spell Storing stores spells, not spell slots. Divine Smite is not a spell, so it cannot be stored. Simple as that.

seebs

Adventurer
You're mistaken on how the ring works. Ring of Spell Storing stores spells, not spell slots. Divine Smite is not a spell, so it cannot be stored. Simple as that.

The question isn't "can divine smite be stored". It's "can divine smite, which is not a spell at all, but which consumes a spell slot for power, consume a spell that was stored in a ring of spell storing".

I think my answer would be "no" because the ring is not storing a generic-slot, but rather, a specific already-cast spell. But the reason has nothing to do with Divine Smite not being a spell. No one's suggesting that Divine Smite would be stored in the ring.

The point is rather: If I could cast a paladin spell (say, cure wounds) because i have a paladin spell slot, I can use Divine Smite and burn the slot and get +2d8 damage. So if I have a thing that has a stored Cure Wounds, can I use that to get +2d8 damage? I don't think so. But it's not related to whether or not divine smite is a spell.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Th ring says "While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it." so that is what it lets you do, cast a spell.

Divine smite says "you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target." It doesn't say you can convert a spell you cast into a smite.

So the ring doesn't work with smite, it just lets you cast the spell.

I've got a paladin with a Ring of Spell Storing and have never considered it a source of spell slots for powering Divine Smite for the reasons others have given above. It's great for holding utility spells like Protection from Good & Evil, Shield and the like, however.

Remove ads