• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine vs. Arcane Magic Usage

Joust

First Post
Don't have my books with me. What are the basic rules for magic usage?

1) Can a divine caster never cast an arcane spell, even if it is on a scroll? (and vice versa?)
2) Can a fighter pick up a wand of CLW and use it? Can a wizard? Or can only divine spellcasters use the wand?
3) Do divine spellcasters need to prepare all their spells for the day at once? or can they prepare the slot, and then fill it later through add'l prayer/meditation? Seems like I read something about this being okay, but I could be dreaming.
4) Are scrolls written in a universal magical language, so if a magic user can read that language (or maybe use Spellcraft), they can identify the spell on the scroll (even if they can't use it)? Or is the only way to figure out what the scroll contains is casting Identify?

Your help with these basic questions would be appreciated!

Joust

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
1) Correct, the spell must be on your spell list to be able to use the scroll.
2) No. No.
2a) Only characters with the spell CLW in their spell list (the only arcane one I can think of is the bard).
3)A spellcaster can choose not to fill certain spots while they are preparing their spells for the day. This isn't anything I've ever bothered with, so someone else will have to fill in the details.
4) You can use the spellcraft skill to identify the contents of a scroll. You don't have to be able to cast the spell.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
1) Can a divine caster never cast an arcane spell, even if it is on a scroll? (and vice versa?)

Essentially, yes, never.

2) Can a fighter pick up a wand of CLW and use it? Can a wizard? Or can only divine spellcasters use the wand?

Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, and Bard can all use it. A wand can be used by anyone who has the spell on their class list. A first level cleric can use a Wand of Spiritual Weapon, even though he can't cast the spell yet, because it's on his class list. A wizard can't.

3) Do divine spellcasters need to prepare all their spells for the day at once? or can they prepare the slot, and then fill it later through add'l prayer/meditation? Seems like I read something about this being okay, but I could be dreaming.

PHB p156. If you leave a slot empty, you can fill it later. What you can't do is abandon a prepared spell and replace it.

4) Are scrolls written in a universal magical language, so if a magic user can read that language (or maybe use Spellcraft), they can identify the spell on the scroll (even if they can't use it)? Or is the only way to figure out what the scroll contains is casting Identify?

Spellcraft (DC 20 + Spell Level) or Read Magic.

---

Note that questions 1 and 2 can be circumvented by a Rogue or Bard with the Use Magic Device skill.

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
1. Generally, no. Exceptions include multiclassed characters, clerics with the Magic domain, and characters with Use Magic Device.
2. A single-classed fighter can't; a single-classed wizard can't. Only those with the spell on their list or Use Magic Device can try to use it.
4) Spellcraft works.

Uller

Adventurer
Joust said:

The rule for using a scroll is that the spell must be on your spell list AND be of the same type(Arcane or Divine). So while CLW is on the Bard's spell list, he could not use a scroll of CLW that was written by a Druid, Ranger, Cleric or Paladin.

Remove ads