OD&D DIY bound my first book!

darjr

I crit!
I wanted to bind the pdfs I bought from Drive Thru but also wanted a single volume. Someone out there did a redit of the original LBB and I kinda love it.

It's a sewn signature binding.

Note I got paper and book card with the proper grain (short grain) by buying a ream of 11x17 and having it cut in half. It was the thing I kept missing on all my earlier attempts, it makes a big difference.

It's not great but I'm rather giddy about it.

Here is the book block before the cover was added. Note the ribbons and the sewing. The ribbons are not the best but I was just doing this as a learning exercise. I'll get proper ribbons for the next one.
IMG_7637.jpeg

The cover has a cloth back and paper front. I don't remember the exact terminology. Note that it has both Dungeons and a Dragon on the cover! Dyson Logos maze!

IMG_7639.jpeg

Here you can see the thread in the middle of a signature. It lays out rather nice.
IMG_7640.jpeg
IMG_7641.jpeg

For the front end paper I used the sample dungeon from LBB III.
IMG_7642.jpeg

Can for size and the "hollow" at the spine.

IMG_7643.jpeg

IMG_7644.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That looks fantastic. I’ve always wanted to get into things like bookbinding and letterpress but never got around to it.

If you didn’t pick up a neutral ph PVA glue for this one, seriously consider getting one for the next project. They work the best and last the longest for repairing and binding books.

Last edited:

Remove ads