• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DIY GMs?

Are you DIY GM?

• Yes

Votes: 150 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 20.6%

Grymar

Explorer
I voted no, but it isn't quite right.

I DM an Eberron game, so that isn't original. I have run at least one published adventure in the campaign, but the other 20 plus session have been my own creation.

mcrow

Explorer
I posted this poll on two other sites and so far here's what we have:

Enworld= 70% 30 votes
RPG.net= 90% of 32 votes
The RPG Site= 100% of 15 votes

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Yes.

I sometimes write my own adventures (adventure outlines, really), sometimes wing it, essentially never use published adventures. However, I have taken interesting encounters from published adventures and used them outside their original context.

I use published settings for my Spelljammer campaigns because it would be waaaay too much work to come up with tons of worlds for the players to visit (and, intentionally or not, usually visit ruin upon). Spelljammer itself is a published setting, but I don't run it in AD&D 2e so it involves some homebrewing. Other than that, I mostly do homebrew settings or convert settings from other media, since I usually find those more compelling than tabletop RPG settings.

I use pre-made rulessets. I used to tinker a lot more with rules before I realized most everything I wanted had been done in SOME rules. I do mix and match at times, particularly among OGL games. I don't always run the rules for the setting/genre that came with the game, either.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Nope. I take lots of published adventures and stitch them together into my own campaign world.

The world concept is pretty much my own, with influences from literature, but I can't be bothered creating every city, town and NPC, so I borrow those from other sources and change what I need to when I need to.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Festivus said:
I have two kids. There is no way to work on adventures and run them. It's easier to just read what someone else has written and then modify from there.

Ditto. Ver batim.

When I ran 2nd edition, I NEVER ran prepared modules. Now, I almost exclusively run prepared stuff, and modify from there. I'm using the Wilderlands, with Forgotten Realms' gods. That's a lot of world/religion I don't have to create right there.

What I do create is stuff which pertains to individual PCs.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Yes. I am mostly a homebrewer. But I steal some stuff. In a recent poll on using published modules, I calculated that I have used published adventures about 37% of the time over the years.

Oh, except when I run Dark Sun, in which case I modify some stuff, but not the majority.

dungeondweller

First Post
Stormborn said:
Yes. Because I actually find it easier to come up with my own materials than use someone elses. It takes me less time to homebrew than it does to feel comfortable running published materials.

That's been my finding exactly.

Roadkill101

Explorer
Yes, I am a DIY GM. I run games based on my own system, there are no 2nd or 3rd party materials available, so I have to come up with the the adventures (without spending hours trying to do conversions).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads