• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM "adding" to your PC's background?

What is your view about DM "taking control" of PC background?

• DM must consult with players first, no surprises

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • Filling the blanks is good, if it's done right

Votes: 74 65.5%
  • No, just plain no!

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Something else?

Votes: 4 3.5%

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

PC's Story: My player was the daughter of a baroness who is out in the world seeking to prove herself worthy of the future title in taking over the duties of the barony. The barony has fallen on hard times to due lost feud with a hated barony that has managed to usurp much of the fortunes that rightfully belongs to us.

DM's Notes: The current baroness, the mother of the PC, adds to the misfortunes of the barony by trying to live the lifestyle they once had. Lavish parties, opulent clothes, feasts for kings and queens, and servants galore are the rule of the day. Now the barony is heavy in debt and the heir to the barony not only must prove herself capable, but keep the creditors at bay.

PC's Story: My player fled his community because of the wanderlust within him and he didn't want the responsibilities of home.

DM's Notes: He fled because of the arranged marriage his mother and prospective wife wanted for him.

I'm fine with first addition -- it embellishes the situation by adding to the elements normally within control of the DM; NPC motivations and actions.

I'd hate the second addition; it stomps on the PCs personailty and response to stimulus. Perhaps the player has a vision of the character where he fled before being saddled with responsibility because once it comes, he'll treat it responsibly. Perhaps in the player's eyes, an arranged marriage would be immoral for the character to shirk and he wouldn't have gone off if one had been in the offing.

Than

First Post
Some players maybe ok with it, but some may also think a DM would be taking a big liberty by deciding bits of the background for the player.

I've DM'd a number of games and would always discuss with the players if I wanted some bits of the background better defined.

Also no DM has ever written any part of my background for me, but they have at times offered up some suggestions.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
This means that instead of asking, "Is there anyone I know in this town?" my character will actively seek out people in the town he wants to meet, learn something about them, introduce himself, earn their trust - which is far cry from passively moving my game-piece around the board and waiting for my next turn to roll the dice.

Sounds like a game of Papers and Paychecks to me. All the networking games I dread about real life.

My character lived 150 years in Evermeet. You're telling me that unless I have them written down on my character sheet, I don't know anyone from Evermeet? If my character instead had spent those 10 levels fighting in the Dalelands, he would have meet people in the same occupation. Instead of being able to interact with some of them, my Charisma 9 character must act openly gregarious in an out-of-character way or I'll get labeled passive?

Barastrondo

First Post
I look at it this way: the player running Athos didn't set out to run Athos, but that's where the events of the game took him.

Right. But some players do set out to run Athos, and I don't mind indulging them.

Whereas I try to remove the metagaming element as much as practicable.

Difference of opinion, horse races, and all that. :)

Oh yeah, exactly so.

Yeah, I knew that example was going to bite me in the rear. ;)

I am certain your implementation would be awesome; it's really just the principle of the thing. ;)

Believe me, that's one I wrestle with all the time; in the case of cape-and-sword stories, it's a really common feature, so to be true to the genre, it should probably come up at some point during the game; on the other hand, I've got to find a more creative way to introduce it if it does.

I know exactly what you mean. When you're running a thematic game, people expect the tropes: but the real delight is seeing tropes implemented in a fresh way, or in a way that's so directly personal that it feels real far beyond the "I've seen this before" element.

I'm fine with first addition -- it embellishes the situation by adding to the elements normally within control of the DM; NPC motivations and actions.

I'd hate the second addition; it stomps on the PCs personailty and response to stimulus. Perhaps the player has a vision of the character where he fled before being saddled with responsibility because once it comes, he'll treat it responsibly. Perhaps in the player's eyes, an arranged marriage would be immoral for the character to shirk and he wouldn't have gone off if one had been in the offing.

I kind of agree here, though with less strong language; I just simply think there's a difference between choosing to elaborate on an NPC's motivation and actions, which is fair game, and choosing to elaborate on a PC's motivation and actions. I have no trouble with suggesting it, but I wouldn't say "also your character is the kind of guy who would flee an arranged marriage" without checking first.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Just like any other device that involves violating people's basic expectations, mucking around with character histories is okay if done with purpose and with sensitivity.

The Shaman

First Post
My character lived 150 years in Evermeet. You're telling me that unless I have them written down on my character sheet, I don't know anyone from Evermeet? If my character instead had spent those 10 levels fighting in the Dalelands, he would have meet people in the same occupation. Instead of being able to interact with some of them, my Charisma 9 character must act openly gregarious in an out-of-character way or I'll get labeled passive?
Asked and answered.
"I'm going to talk to people in my old neighborhood," isn't the same as, "I'm looking up my old friend."The adventurers in our game are a Musketeer, a bureaucrat, and a spy; they know dozens of people, from their landlady at the Black Stork Inn to other soldiers in the company to lawyers and magistrates at the justice ministry to theology students (the spy's alternate identity) and professors at the Benedictine college in the Latin Quarter.
This extends beyond just the people they know now from their lives in Paris, of course. One of the adventurers is from Dijon, and if he returns home for some reason in the course of the game he'll be familiar with quite a few people there as well.

BUT . . .
If the players want to make one of those acquaintances a friend to one of those characters, in the sense of someone on whom they can depend on as a reliable resource, then they need to work at it in actual play; summoning up 'old friends' in the middle of the game from a line of fiction is right-out.
I hope that makes the difference a little sharper for you.

pemerton

Legend
I think GMs should be free to create plots that are separate from the characters. It's really hard to write a plot that's relevant for four or five completely different individuals, whose characters and backgrounds were all created separately from each other.

<snip>

To put it another way, character backgrounds are, IMO, a terrible way for a DM to solicit input. They could try, you know, ASKING the players what would interest them instead.
Interesting. I tend to take the opposite approach: I often have the players create backgrounds for their PCs that aren't separate, and I very often use backgrounds as the basis for building adventures (I think of it as the players giving me adventure hooks) - especially in the early stages of a campaign, but even as the campaign unfolds I expect the PC backgrounds to develop and become more elaborate as well, creating new opportunities to build adventures around them.

Dropping surprises into the backstories of characters is a tricky business, though, and I think it has to be utterly thematic -- which is to say, it has to be in keeping with what the player considers in the themes of his character.
Fully agreed.

I've found that this is largely a reaction to a string of DMs who can't help but look at your character's history and living family members as targeting lists.

<snip>

So, as a DM, I'd be really, really careful with how I engage the PCs' histories, and will generally check with them first.
I think this goes to Barastrondo's point about "sticking with the theme". In my current campaign, my instructions to the players at the start of the game were to come up with PCs who were 4e legal, and who had a reason to be ready to fight goblins. I also explained that the game would be set in the default 4e world. One of my players came up with a wizard PC who was from a northern city that had been destroyed by humanoid raiders, and who had since been wandering and making a living as a pastry chef. The PC had at one time been an initiate of the Raven Queen, although that relationship had waned a bit since.

Towards the culmination of the first, goblin-fighting, arc of the campaign I introduced this PC's mother as a slave of the goblins. The PCs had a chance to rescue her, but chose a course of action which left her exposed to goblin danger - and when they came back to find her, she was dead. (I would be cautious about doing this in a context where the player himself had had some sort of serious family trauma, but I've been friends with the player in question for many years.) This didn't contradict or upset the background the player had come up with - it reinforced it. (And the PC has subsequently done some very ruthless things to goblins and hobgoblins.)

Bad: A town is in the way of a rampaging army of gnolls. Your mother, who has never actually come into play before now, lives in that town.
It's to avoid this sort of situation that (in the example above) I stuck the PC's mother in the goblin fortress, as a slave whom the PCs encountered then and there. More generally, I think background is much more powerful as an integral element of the situation with which the players are engaged (via their PCs), rather than as a hook or lure to some new situation.

Which brings me to:

Character backstory events never happened - they're whole-cloth fiction created before the game starts.
I think you're generally right that relationships forged in play generally feel stronger for the player. In many cases they're the only relationships that have any reality to them at all. But that means that if you never involve their parents or their siblings or their childhood friends in the game, then those relationships will never exist.
Once background becomes an integral element of a current situation, it is part of play. But it's a part of play that's been seeded by the player rather than the GM, which (in my experience) often gives it a greater emotional pulling power for the player(s) in question.

I'm curious - do you let players, in the middle of an adventure, declare that they are well known and respected in a town if they hadn't already written it in their background....or create at the spur of the moment an associate who will be willing to hide them in a town when running from the BBEG's men?
This hasn't come up. But I have allowed a player to invent an elven secret society (and his PC's membership in it) on the spur of the moment, and then to give the secret hand signal of that society to see if any of the elven NPCs the party was hanging out with were members of that society. He was hoping that the leader of the elvish band was a member; I explained that the leader seemed not to recognise that signal, but another (lesser) NPC did.

I'm not an improv performer, so don't know "yes, and . . ." outside the context of RPGs. But what I've just described seems like a fairly straightforward example of "yes, and . . .".

I'm not sure why getting away from the player-passivity of, "Do I know anyone in this town?" and moving toward the player-engagement of, "I'm going to get to know the captain of the watch," is so controversial to some people.
I get the feeling, when the example player asks "Do I know anybody in this town?", he'd rather do what I just did, but isn't sure the DM will let him.
I think I'm closer to Janx on this one. Of course, I prefer it when the players (non-passively) describe how they are seeking out NPCs who they believe have reason to be sympathetic to them (as per the above example of sending a secret hand-sign).

Remove ads