• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Advice needed re: unfortunate character death [long]

Vurt

First Post
Had a weird one the other day...

The setup

The players were dealing with an appropriately difficult rendition of the Forge of Fury module. After storming the first level and clearing out most of the occupants, they fought the level's big bad boss and won, but one of the characters was dropped to below 20% hit points. Because it was late in the evening, we called it a night soon after.

Yesterday, after I awarded xp from the previous session resulting in a few new level-ups, the party decided to check out the rest of the level and search it thoroughly in case they missed anyone/anything. During the course of the exploration, they fall victim to a trap.

Now, party hit points are maintained by one person, where everyone can see them. In general it makes for less hassle, as the cleric doesn't need to ask around to see who's hurt, but can look directly to see who needs healing. It also makes for less scraps of paper lying around.

Well, the players roll saving throws and I tell them to apply some damage. The player maintaining hit points pulls out the sheet where he was doing so and realizes that the previously damaged rogue is dead. Not "unconscious" dead, but "dead" dead.

Complications:

1) The rogue was a native outsider, so "raise dead" won't work, and there's nobody nearby willing or able to perform a "ressurection", "miracle" or "wish".

2) The campaign is in the mountains, at the start of winter. Getting to a location where those spells may be available is extremely hazardous due to weather conditions alone.

3) The party averages only 6th level, so higher level resurrection magic isn't available from party members, and isn't likely to happen anytime soon, either.

4) Had the player who's character bought it remembered or known he was damaged, his character would have logically used his wand of cure light wounds a few times, or bugged the party healer for some TLC.

5) Now the player who lost the character is fine with rolling up a new one, but the player who maintained the hit points tally feels incredibly remorseful and guilty over the whole affair.

Post-mortem: *cough*

My take on it was everyone was a little overconfident after their success, and got a little careless. We all made mistakes, myself included. It's not like I reminded everyone to check hit points at the start of the session. A few bad rolls were involved. The rogue missed spotting the trap, even though there were plenty of clues, and then failed his reflex save. The healer didn't bother to see if anyone was hurt at the start of the session. And some players were excited at having leveled up with new spells and abilities.

The problem is that some people feel that the character would have known he was seriously hurt, and would have either asked for help or used his wand of cure light wounds to help himself. That the character's player didn't know was because of a book-keeping oversight. As a DM, however, I'm not all that big a fan of assuming things, especially in retrospect. After all, hindsight is 20-20 or better, and if I let this slide, where does it stop? Most people being especially attached to their own characters over the course of this campaign, empathize with the prospect of losing all that hard work, and so there's a fair bit of guilt that they all screwed up flowing around my gaming table that I feel shouldn't be there. After all, it is just a game and we're supposed to be there to have fun.

So the question: What, if anything, should I do about it?

The_Gneech

Explorer
If the player doesn't have a problem with making a new character, then just carry forward with a mental note to check on the health status of characters at the beginning of every session.

As for the character going on when he was wounded ... maybe he had internal bleeding that nobody realized, and he thought it was just a flesh wound. ;)

-The Gneech :cool:

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I'd rule that the wand was used three times, not one, on the rogue.

I think you're right that the rogue would have complained if he knew he was in single digit hp. This way, you can role play that the cleric -- seeing the rogue was close to death -- got panicy and used the wand more than he normally would have. You've penalized the players by using up two additional wand charges and the rogue gets to live.

Murrdox

First Post
A character should never die to a "book-keeping" error, which this obviously was.

Both the cleric, and the rogue just simply forgot that the rogue was seriously wounded.

Characters dying because of "in game" stupidity is fine.

Characters dying because of "out of game" stupidity isn't fun for anybody.

I would allow the character to live, and let him "retroactively" heal himself to live through the trap.

Warn your players to keep better track of their hit points in between playing sessions, so that it doesn't happen again.

Unless your rogue player really wants to roll up a new character, this is what I'd do.

Enceladus

First Post
Players die - shiznit hizzapens

Next time make sure all of your players are responsible of keeping track of their own hit points. It really shouldn't be on one guy.

You'll avoid this akward situation the next time.

Enceladus

First Post
Players die - shiznit hizzapens

Next time make sure all of your players are responsible of keeping track of their own hit points. It really shouldn't be on one guy.

You'll avoid this akward situation the next time.

Gothmog

First Post
In this case, I don't think it is fair to keep the rogue dead. As others said, it was a bookkeeping error, not a player error that caused his death. I would rule that he used the wand of cure light wounds up, and is now alive. It shows the players they need to keep track of their characters better, while still allowing the player of the rogue to continue with his character.

I think each player should be aware how many hit points their character has. Use one of the above suggestions and let the rogue live this time, but advise everyone to keep better track of their hit points (individually) because you won't be so forgiving in the future.

Tiberius

Explorer
Not having a communal health tracker is a good idea. Also, the fact that the rogue was a native outsider means that he can, in fact, be raised. The concept of the native outsider was introduced in the FRCS to allow people to play the planetouched races and not have to roll up a new character each time they die. The only limiting factor there should be the availability of a 500 gp diamond.

Unless I am horribly misremembering, in which case I would love to see a quote, or at least a citation.

-Tiberius

Centaur

First Post
Sounds like a simple error in judgement on the PCs part in not being aware of their situation.

If it were me, I would look through the treasure that the party is about to find, and pick a suitably juicy item and replace it with a scroll of resurection.

Once the the party has found the scroll and used it, make some sort of froidian slip or off handed comment about the item that was replaced, when they ask what your talking about, just say, "Oh, that was replaced by the scroll" and leave it at that.

They will pay better attention to their HP totals and will have paid for their mistake by the loss of an item. Maybe make that item one that was intended for the Rouge.

Remove ads