• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM and/or player?

Do you DM/GM and/or play? And to what degree?

• DM - I DM (almost entirely) exclusively

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • DM, with a touch of player - I mostly DM but occasionally play

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • DM/Player - It is about even

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Player, with a touch of DM - I mostly play, but occasionally DM

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Player - I play (almost entirely) exclusively

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Neither - I don't play RPGs, just read them or hang out on forums for whatever reason

Votes: 1 0.7%

Mercurius

Legend
I'm toying with the idea of doing a series of polls (for the fun of it) to get an idea of EN World demographics, and how they may or may not be--or to what degree they are--representative of RPGers as a whole. If I do get that going I will make an Uber-Post within which all the polls are linked, but we'll see if I have time...

For now I'm wondering something rather simple: Do you DM or play? Both, neither, one more than the other? In relation to the above, my guess is that most participants of EN World are diehard gamers, and most diehard gamers DM (or GM) more than they play...it just seems to happen that way. But here's a chance for us all to see, vote away...

p.s. I'm not sure why I chose "History" for the category.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I have recently started DMing regularly. Right now, I play in one game (GURPS modern action-horror) and run another (Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords adventure path, converted last night to Fourth Edition). Another game I'm playing in will start up soon, and I'm planning to run an Eberron Fourth Edition game.

I would still consider myself primarily a player, even though I had been "designing" settings and the like for literally years before I actually started running games.

Eyada

First Post
I spend equal time in both roles; however, I actually enjoy the time I spend DMing now that my group is running 4E, so it's possible I may be shifting to purely DMing soon.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I run a 3.5 campaign and a 4e episodic game, each running twice a month. I also play in Sagiro's bi-monthly 3.5 game and Storminator's monthly MnM game.

After my 3.5 campaign ends, I expect I'll be running a 4e game and a MnM game in alternating weeks.

It's a good time to be gaming. :)

Terwox

First Post
Asking right after 4E came out might give you a different idea as well.

Diehard gamers are more likely to step up to the DM plate I imagine, but after gaining some experience with the systems as a player, less experienced gamers step up as well sometimes.

And, if 4E works as planned, that should happen a lot more often with 4E than with previous editions, as 4E is simpler and quicker to learn to DM for than 3E and 2E.

Simm

First Post
I exclusively DMed for the last four years but in the last month have found someone to take over for me. Which is good since I've always been more of a player at heart.

racoffin

First Post
I started out as primarily a player, and only get to be just a player infrequently now. I'm primarily the DM whenever we play.

Verdande

First Post
As much as I love playing, I'm the driving force behind our group. I'm the only one who is willing to read all the books, wrestle with the numbers, recruit new players, and do the behind the scenes work. My lazy, spoiled players (bless them) are content to run the entire world, and themselves, straight into the ground in a blaze of glory.

FalcWP

Explorer
At the moment, I'd say about an even split (which is what I selected). In my group, we basically have two DMs, myself and another guy. Usually, I'll DM a campaign for a while, then he'll do his game. We've also alternated from week to week. We're currently trying to convince a third player to DM so we can both play at the same time (it'd be the first time since '03, when we met, that we'd both played in the same game). If that happens, I may take a bit of a break from active DMing and start working on a homebrew campaign to torment the group with when I move back behind the screen ;).

Remove ads