• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Awesome!!!

ltclnlbrain said:
A little short this time, but I'm determined not to let the story hour slip to page 2. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terenon felt his bones snapping as his body folded in on itself. His organs were crushed and ground to paste, his muscles stretching until they snapped from the pressure. He tried to scream, but his lungs were already punctured and no sound came out. His teeth splintered and cracked, and his eyes swelled and burst.

“No!”

Terenon bolted upright in his bed, his body covered in a cold sweat. The mage blinked a few times before he realized he was safe in his room at the inn. Crickets chirped merrily in the bushes outside, and the only sound was the mage’s breathing, shallow and fast. He let out a long sigh as he laid back down to calm his nerves. Only a dream, he told himself, but his death had been all too real earlier that day.

It was the first time Terenon had died. Adventuring meant hanging onto the brink of death almost daily, and he knew it had only been a matter of time before it caught up to him. It was unsettling nonetheless.
Really, really great. The attention to detail and the way you guys play out this kind of stuff is fantastic. I'm sure we all have at times had the feeling that dying isn't that much of a problem with resurrection spells and the like available. But as Terenon said, it's a great idea to describe the nightmares that you are bound to have from your first death experience.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Alright! Over 1,000 page views! And in celebration, here's another update!

Chapter 16

The adventurers teleported back to the Dungeon of the Ruins, to the hall outside the High Conflagration’s former lair. Pausing a moment to get his bearings, Grundar activated his ring of blinking and moved through the iron door on the other side of the staircase to scout out the room beyond. Heavy square grates of iron laid in even rows across the floor of the chamber he found himself in, apparently covering dark cells or pits. A rumpled square of canvas laid over one of the grates. Rusted bolts and heaps of chain were scattered at odd intervals on the floor beside the old brick walls, and the air was rank and damp.

The oppressive silence of the room was shattered by a horrible, piteous wailing from one of the cells in the floor. "Help me! Gods, help me! Get me out! I will do it! I will do it; I beg you, just let me out!" the voice cried just before dissolving into manic laughter.

Another voice joined in, burbling with lunacy. "Help me, heh! Heh! Get you in, get you in! There's one for all of you, heh! We all are in need of chastisement, heh!"

Not wanting to draw attention, Grundar blinked back out the door and reported to the others what he saw and heard. "I'm thinking one of those in there must be one of the mages the cult needed to complete the ritual. They seem to be in some crazed state. I suggest we not free them just yet."

Jelani shrugged. “I think we should free the prisoners now. They might not be entirely sane, but as long as they’re here, they can be used to free the Firebringer. Also, who knows when they ate last? I don’t know about all of you, but I happen to think starvation is a terrible way to die.”

"They seemed to be just fine when they were shouting in there,” replied Grundar. “The cult is destroyed, Durzhul is dead. I doubt anybody has the resources to free the Firebringer anytime soon. We should finish the search first, and then intern the skeleton. Then we can attend to them."

"Grundar!” said Rhys disdainfully. “I can't believe that you’re so cold. Those are human beings in there, humans who have most likely been tortured. We shouldn’t let them suffer a minute more; if I have to go in there alone, I will."

Rumar nodded and stared intently at Grundar, his displeasure obvious. "Crazed or not, likely to starve or not, valuable or not, I cannot in good conscience place searching this area for more baubles above setting those others free. You many continue your search of this area if you like, but we will attend to the others first. We can always rejoin you later."

“Yarrick Zan may be here already,” said Terenon. “It may be wiser to wait until we are sure we are not alone.”

“Just come with us for one quick check upstairs,” said Grundar. “Then we can come back down.”

Rumar frowned behind his helmet and nodded curtly. “One check.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The staircase led up to an illusory wall close to the barracks. The cultists had placed it there to protect the location of the High Conflagration’s lair. The party circled around the dungeon back to the Well of Stars, and Grundar approached the door to the south of it. As he blinked through it, a glowing yellow symbol appeared and discharged in a puff of fine sand. Being immune to sleep effects, the elf felt no averse effects from the spell.

The hall beyond was a majestic chamber almost thirty feet high, with two pillars of red-gold marble supporting the ceiling. The walls were ringed by a frieze ten feet above the floor, over which hung the tatters of proud banners and standards. Pedestals on the floor supported various art objects and trophies, including two suits of armor, a large vase of gold-green stone, a bronze urn, a terra cotta statue of an ancient dwarf warrior, and various other old treasures. A number of other places where items might once have rested were obvious.

Grundar passed back through the door, a big grin plastered on his features. “You have got to go in there,” he said, beaming. “It’s the treasury. Time to fill the portable hole.”

"I believe I agreed to wait while you checked that room," Rumar tossed out, folding his arms against his chest, "not to wait while you convulse with greed. Rhys and I will be down with the prisoners.” Both aasimar turned and walked off.

“Have fun!” called Grundar after them, then turned to the others. “Looting time.”

The doors were rusted stuck, so it took a few tries for the mages and the elf to open them. Eventually they gave way, and both Allanon and Jelani were quite surprised at the amount of treasure laid out before them. The party members spread out to begin gathering the goods, but as soon as Grundar touched the first piece of gold, one of the suits of armor in the room lurched forward as it stepped off its pedestal. It slowly drew a large greatsword that crackled with electricity as it began stalking toward the elf.

“I hate constructs,” the elf groaned as he drew his rapier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Rhys and Rumar descended to the prison. Though the door was locked, Rumar began hacking at the lock with his sword and in the span of about a minute, the lock shattered.

Once they entered the room, the voices began shouting again. "I've been in here long enough!" the first voice started. "What did I do to deserve this? I will do it, I tell you! Just let me out of here!"

The second burbling voice joined in. "What did I do, heh! What did any of us do? Heh! Much longer have I been here, much more have I seen, heh! Death will come for us all, this I know all too well, heh!"

Listening closely, Rumar could tell that the first voice seems to be coming from a nearby cell, while the second voice came from further back, from the cell that had been covered in canvas. The paladin turned to Rhys. “I hope you have some way of magically immobilizing these men,” he said softly. “If these mages are truly mad, we may have to restrain them until we can get them in the care of a priest.”

“Unfortunately, I do not,” replied Rhys. “We’ll just have to be careful.”

Rumar nodded and then moved over to investigate the owner of the first voice. An iron grate covered the cell, and beneath that sat a middle aged man. His hair and clothes were dirty and unkempt, and he looked up with pleading eyes. His eyes widened as he took in the aasimar’s glowing eyes and feathery wings. "You..you are not an Acolyte! You are an angel, come to rescue me! Oh, I'm saved!" The man began weeping with joy.

From the other cell, the owner of the second voice contributed, "An angel, heh! Only an angel of death come for you, heh! No rescue, no escape from this existence! You are a fool to delude yourself, heh! A mighty fool, heh!"

Rhys came up beside Rumar and looked down at the man. “We are not angels, though we are here to free you. I'm Rhys Thurn, a priest of Torm and the gentleman with me is Rumar, a noble paladin. Our group has destroyed most of the Acolytes. Once we open these cells, I'll tend to you as best I can until we're able to get you out of here. What is your name, sir?"

"My name is...is...Philosten. Yes, that's it. I haven't used it in quite some time. The Acolytes, they...they kidnapped me, wanted me to participate in a ritual that would free their lord. I..I was willing to do it, if they'd only let me out of this gods-forsaken cell. Will you let me out?"

“Philosten, I’ll have you out shortly.” Rhys reached down to the grate on the cell and, calling upon Torm to grant him a feat of strength, heaved with all his might. The grate pulled free of the floor and clattered as Rhys dropped it to the ground.. Reaching a hand down, he pulled the shaky mage out, who collapsed to the floor. The cleric checked him over: he seemed to be suffering from starvation and dehydration, but otherwise he was unhurt.

The second voice started up again. "Now free me, o angel of death, heh! It won't matter, no it won't, heh! Freedom is just an illusion! Life is just an illusion, heh! Nothing waits for us beyond the end; best to flay yourself alive and save nature the trouble, heh!"

As Rumar looked over Philosten and gave him some water, Rhys moved over to cell from which the rantings were coming. "Good sir, what waits for one beyond the end depends on how one lived in the now. If nothing matters and freedom and life are just illusions, I might as well just leave you here. However, that wouldn't make my now feel right. So why don't you indulge me and let us release you? Once I've tended to your wounds, you can go pursue life as you feel best. But for me not to release you would be an injustice equal to the ones committed by those who imprisoned you here.”

The voice laughed maniacally for a few seconds. "Leave me here, heh! Leave you here, heh! You're concerned about your now, but what about your soon, heh? Heh! Release me if you want, but my wounds are far past tending, heh! Will I pursue life, or will life pursue me? You will see, heh! You will see, heh!"

Rhys sighed and turned to Rumar. “Rumar, please remove the canvas and the grate so I can tend to this man’s wounds. I may cure the body, but I fear his mind is beyond tending. The winds of fate will decide which way to blow him.”

The paladin nodded. “I’ll see what I can do. I can’t imagine it will be that hard.” Rumar clanked over to the cell and threw off the canvas that covered it, revealing a horrible monstrosity. It looked like a gray-fleshed, hairless humanoid with an elongated skull-like head and noseless face. It stares up at Rumar with white, empty eyes, and the aasimar felt icy hands clawing at his very soul as his life-force wavered.

"Now you see, heh!" the creature shrieked with glee. "Now you see!"

Allanon wasn't surprised when the construct attacked. Something always seemed to happen whenever they weren't being careful. The wild mage concentrated for a moment, bringing to mind the words of a spell he had been practicing over the past couple days. He double-checked the pronunciations in his head once more, then started casting his spell.

The spidery words of magic flowed through the air, though they sounded even stranger than usual. In fact, to those who understood the language of magic, the spell seemed to make little sense. On the final word, Allanon thrust his hand at the golem. A cone shaped burst of colors sprang forth. The colors danced back and forth, creating a dazzling array of light that washed over the construct. When the colors faded, though, the construct was unaffected.

Allanon was surprised that his spell had no effect, and he was even more surprised when the animate armor charged at him and swung its sparking greatsword in a mighty blow. Fortunately, its joints were rusty from years of inactivity, and Allanon dodged away from the descending blade.

Terenon backed up and cast a spell, surrounding himself with mirror images. Jelani tried to dispel the magic that animated the construct, hoping to end the fight quickly, but his spell was ineffectual.

“My blade is next to useless against constructs!” cried Grundar as he moved to attack. Unfortunately, he phased into the Ethereal Plane just as his rapier would have connected with the thing’s metallic body.

“I’ll get Rhys and Rumar!” cried Allanon. He defensively cast a spell, and then he disappeared in a flash of light and a puff of smoke.

Deprived of its target, the construct turned to Grundar and sliced at him with its greatsword. The mighty blade connected twice, tearing large wounds open across the elf’s chest and sending electrical shocks throughout his body.

Jelani put a hand on his holy symbol and began to chant. The air in the room stirred and swirled with his words. “Akadi, come to our aid,” he called out, and a gust of wind swept into the room as if in answer.

Terenon called forth a sword of pure force to attack the construct. The glowing blade sliced a large furrow in the thing’s armor. Grundar reeled from the damage the thing had dealt him, but he responded in kind. He punched two small holes in the construct’s breastplate, but the thing didn’t even slow down. The construct slashed the elf again, but he managed to avoid its follow-up strikes.

Jelani completed his summoning spell, and the winds in the room coalesced into the form of an air elemental. “Please destroy that thing,” Jelani asked in Auran, and the elemental moved to pound the construct with its fists. Jelani then cast a familiar spell, and five glowing balls of magical force streaked at the construct, only to dissipate harmlessly upon striking it.

As his magic sword carved another furrow in the construct’s armor, Terenon launched a thin green ray at the thing. The ray was meant to disintegrate the construct, but Terenon cursed aloud as the ray dissipated like the magical missiles had. If Allanon doesn’t come back soon, we’re done for, Terenon thought.

Rumar concentrated all his will on resisting the creature’s deadly gaze, and suddenly the icy hands around his heart retracted, leaving him gasping for breath. “Abomination!” he cried as he hurled the heavy canvas back over the cell in which the creature sat. The creature laughed maniacally and burbled happily to itself as the paladin stalked away.

Before anything else could happen, Allanon appeared in the prison with a flash of light and a puff of smoke. “Guys, we’ve got a serious problem,” he said. “The others are in trouble and we need to move quickly.” The mage cast a spell, and he and the aasimars began to speed up.

Rumar was about to ask whether the problem had been encountered while they were digging through the treasure when Rhys spoke up. “We’re here to help. What is it? Undead? More slaadi?”

“A construct,” said Allanon. “Let’s go.”

Rhys looked down at Philosten, then helped him to his feet. “We take him with us. We can’t leave him here.”

“Fine,” said Allanon. He laid his hands on Rhys and Rumar and chanted a brief spell. In a flash of light and a puff of smoke, they were gone.

Badly wounded, Grundar tumbled away and drank a healing potion. The worst of his wounds disappeared, but he was still bleeding heavily. Refusing to give him any respite, the construct charged at him again, but the elf nimbly avoided the crackling sword.

Terenon cast a spell and his form was suddenly displaced several feet away. He stepped in between Grundar and the construct, his mirror images dancing and weaving about. “Keep away from it, Grundar! I’ll distract it!”

Grundar paused long enough to stab the construct once more with his rapier before springing away. The construct sliced at Terenon, tearing through some of the illusions but leaving the real mage unharmed.

Then, in a flash of light and a puff of smoke, Allanon returned along with Rhys, Rumar, and Philosten. Wasting no time, Rhys sent a searing ray of light at the creature, burning a large hole in its armor. Rumar charged in and tore into the construct with his longsword.

Wanting to contribute, Terenon drew a small dagger from his robe and thrust it into a chink in the armor. The mage was quite surprised as the construct suddenly stopped moving and dropped its sword to the ground. As he watched, the whole creature began melt until nothing was left of it but a pile of slag on the floor.

The mage raised both of his hands in victory and then looked at his dagger with awe. Apparently, he was better in hand to hand combat then he had previously realized. "All evil constructs beware of Terenon's dagger of destruction," he said, tongue firmly in cheek.

Terenon

First Post
Construct killer

That was so funny. Everyone else is doing substantial amount of damage, and I only stepped in as a target for the thing. The only weapon I had available was a non magical dagger. I was amazed I hit it, but I only did 1 point of damage, apparently it was enough ;)

Felikeries

First Post
you should compile a list that shows
~each players hp
~then each attack/spell attacks dmg
~the healing recovery
for one combat session to put an interesting twist on viewing
how the session is playing through

Gramcrackered

First Post
Felikeries said:
you should compile a list that shows
~each players hp
~then each attack/spell attacks dmg
~the healing recovery
for one combat session to put an interesting twist on viewing
how the session is playing through

Keep in mind that there are more than a few rounds to each battle, with many player posts in each. That would not only prove quite a bit more work, but would just add a lot of reading that I doubt many people would want to see.

But, eh, that's just me.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Felikeries, adding all that information would be a lot of work, and I don't know how many others besides you would be interested in it. But if enough people want all that information alongside or separate from the narrative, let me know.

In other news, I've added a poll to the thread. Now that all of the PCs have been introduced, you can vote for your favorite character. It also gives me an excuse to bump the thread back to the top. I would suggest that the players not vote for their own characters, though there's not much I can do to stop them if they're so inclined. :)

ltclnlbrain

First Post
I've just been cranking them out lately! The third update in six days.

Chapter 17

“How many times do your mother and I have to tell you? If you can’t take care of what you find, you shouldn’t bring it home.” Rhys smiled wryly as he mock-lectured Grundar, then called upon the power of Torm to heal the elf’s wounds.

“Yes, father,” Grundar replied, matching Rhys’ playful tone. Once his wounds were taken care of, he looked around at the treasures splayed out before him. His eyes settled on the terra cotta dwarf statue. “That must be the statue the mage’s ghost mentioned. Should we break it open to get the axe inside?”

“I see no reason to refrain from doing so,” said Terenon. “Rumar, if you’d be so kind?”

The paladin sighed deeply but did not protest, hefting Pergium and laying into the thick statue. It was thick and tough, but eventually he shattered through it and left a hole big enough to retrieve the prize within. Inside was a blue greataxe, sparkling with frost.

Terenon retrieved the fine weapon and smiled. His good humor quickly faded, though, as he thought about their lost comrade, Berek. It would have been a fine prize for him to wield. The mage looked at the rest of the group and decided that Rumar could best wield the weapon now. "Rumar, the weapon is yours to wield against our future foes. May it grant you decisive victory against evil."

Jelani walked over to the shattered remains of the statue. It appeared to have been quite valuable before Rumar had smashed it, but perhaps some minor magics could restore the sculpture to its former beauty. “Hold on a moment, I’m going to try and fix this statue. At the least, it’s a beautiful piece of art, at the most a lost treasure. But it will take a few minutes to fit all of the pieces together.” As he spoke, he knelt, and began piecing the statue together, chanting softly as he did.

As Jelani worked his magic, Rumar pondered the axe cautiously, clearly rather surprised by the gift. "I thank you, but I do not believe Pergium would be terribly happy about being completely replaced, nor would the forces that assigned him to me. This axe is a powerful weapon though...perhaps I shall use it only when I face creature's Pergium's powers prove useless against."

The sword at his side had begun to vibrate before Rumar had even finished speaking, resulting in a look of slight irritation on the aasimar's face. "Calm yourself, Pergium; one must learn to use all available resources at his disposal. I assure you that I will only wield the axe when absolutely necessary."

Sheathing his longsword, Rumar lifted up the axe in one hand and gave it a few experimental swings, only to end up rather red-faced and panting with the exertion. "This is...a rather large weapon, isn't it?" he gasped, letting the axe-head fall back to the floor. "So, not only would I have to limit my use of Pergium--" (an angry buzzing from the sword could be heard once more) "--but I'd also have to stop using my shield? I'm sorry, but I do not believe this is a weapon of my liking."

"I'll hold on to for now then," said Grundar, taking the axe.

Jelani finished his spells, and the dwarf statue was restored to its former pristine condition He smiled at the paladin’s words to his sword. It seemed that his companion was being bossed around by an inanimate object, and that touched his sense of humor in a very special way. “You shouldn’t speak to swords, or people might start to think you mad,” he teased Rumar in Celestial, grinning broadly.

Grundar and the others had put all the treasure in the portable hole, then the group had started to head back down to the prison to deal with the undead creature. Philosten followed closely behind Rhys, shuddering and sobbing.

Rumar glared back at Jelani and angry words began to come from his direction. But these words did not issue from the aasmiar, but rather from the longsword in its sheathe. “Ally of Rumar or not, I will never understand why he believes this to be an acceptable place of for me to learn more of mortal nature. Especially with one such as you about--consorting with devils was not something I had planned on!"

“Come now,” Rumar said reproachfully, turning his head to look at his sheathed sword. “This is precisely the sort of individual you should watch. Such a person must be guided carefully, lest he stray further from the path of light.”

“For a being of such supposed goodness, Pergium, you surely lack in manners,” a rather irritated Jelani snapped at the sword. “As for my ‘association with devils’ as you call it, it does not exist. The subject of a summoning spell is a tool, nothing more. It was my choice of a moment, because evil creatures are more often hardened against the attacks of good than their own kind, and if I faced a good being for some reason, I would most likely summon a celestial being”

With that, he stalked away to catch up with Grundar and Terenon at the front of the group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adventurers reached the prison to find the undead creature still burbling madly to itself in its singsong voice. Philosten began to shake once he heard its voice again, holding his hands over his head and sobbing quietly. Jelani glared in the direction of the creature’s cell with disgust. “Let us silence this foul creature and be done with it. It grates on my nerves, and is disturbing this poor man to no end.” Following his own advice, he reached into his pack to fish out a flask of holy water.

Terenon held up a hand and looked at Allanon and Jelani. “Let’s not give it a chance to fight back. On the count of three launch a fireball at the creature’s cell.” He turned to look at the others, smiling grimly. “I suggest the lot of you back up.”

Grundar helped Philosten to the back of the room. “One toasted undead coming up,” he quipped.

With a command from Terenon, the mages cast their spells and let their fireballs fly. Jelani's was composed of sonic energy, so the undead's cell was blasted by an enormous ball of sound. The tarp flew off and the grate crumpled from the barrage; the mages could hear the creature screaming from inside. Terenon's ball of flame then engulfed the cell, bringing even more screams. Allanon completed his casting and his fireball sailed at the cell. When it reached the target, it exploded, but a small explosion suddenly engulfed Allanon as well. When the smoke cleared, the sounds of the creature had been silenced; it laid charred and dead in its cell. Allanon was badly burnt, though: his face was blackened, and his clothes and hair smelled of smoke and soot.

Terenon looked at Allanon's burns with a mixture of humor and compassion. "You sure you've picked the right vocation for yourself, Allanon? Rhys should be able to take care of those burns."

Allanon coughed and patted out some small fires that smoldered on his robes. “Sometimes I do have my doubts,” he said ruefully as Rhys moved over to tend to his wounds.

“Wild magic again, eh?” asked Rhys. “I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that every time I cast a spell. At least you didn’t turn back into a woman.”

Terenon shook his head, then moved over to Philosten. The man had finally stopped trembling, though he still looked badly frightened and sick. “My name is Terenon,” he said to the man. “Are you well? I would prefer for you stay with our group for a while, for your own protection as well as ours. If we face combat, stay back and away and let us do our jobs. Once we are done with our tasks, we will take you to some place safe."

"To tell the truth," Philosten said shakily, "I am not well. I could use some food and water: the Acolytes were not very kind to me in those regards. Or in any other regards for that matter. I really am in no condition to follow you around, much less fight. I would really like to just go home and recuperate from my ordeal."

Terenon looked at the man with concerned eyes. "Food and water are not a problem. Rhys can minister to your health. However, we must press on. You can stay here until we return, you can come with us, which is probably safest, or you can strike out on your own."

Rumar had heard enough. He stepped forward, eyes glowing angrily. "From what I've seen,” he said, staring pointedly at Terenon, “you only need to press on because you are so preoccupied with finding more treasure. Returning this man home is a priority I place far higher than any material goods that might be found here--and I certainly shan't tell him he can simply wait here or wander about and hope for the best."

Terenon leaned in close to Rumar, a cross look on his face. "You may escort your new friend to town, but I have a promise to keep. I promised to inter the mage’s bones in his crypt, and I intend to do just that. You should also know that Philosten’s face appearing in Silverymoon might alert the dragon’s agents that the Acolytes are no more. Not to mention that this mage’s mouth will spin yarns of such. The death of thousands rests on your moral posturing. Do as you wish."

"I would not force one man to sacrifice himself for the potential good of a thousand or even a hundred thousand lives,” replied Rumar. “Such a thing goes against every moral fiber in my body. Furthermore, though you seem to be certain that this is a matter of life and death--"

"Rumar,” Allanon interrupted, “some of us aren't completely enamored of finding more treasure. We need to press on to make sure Bazim-Gorag and his evil never again walks Toril."

"--the first area you went for was the treasure room,” continued Rumar, not missing a beat. “Even when I protested about those locked down in here, you decided said treasure was more important. That you absolutely had to possess whatever might be in there, regardless of the condition of those in here. A strange choice, considering the number of lives your quest seems to hang upon." The paladin gestured broadly towards Philosten as he spoke, looking pointedly at his ragged condition. "I have no doubt that you mean well in the end, yet I find your progress to said goal a tad disturbing. I will continue to aid you, but I will also see this man at least to the exit of these ruins. I will also be taking an equal share of the treasure and doing with it as I see fit; reparations to Philosten and donations to the church seem a more fitting use."

Terenon was a man known for his self-control and restraint, but he could not hold back his rising temper. Perhaps it was death that had changed his temperament, but whatever the case, he was angry. "Look you tin-plated, pious, winged half-breed! No one is asking that Philosten sacrifice himself, unless you consider my request for him to sit on his ass in this room a dangerous task! I don't think it is too much to ask in defense of thousands of lives, you bird-brained buffoon. And yes, I am certain he will be a security risk. When this mage starts relaying his story in Silverymoon, the dragon's agents will surely catch word of the Acolytes’ demise. Acessiwal would not hesitate to start the war machine rolling. So why don’t you think the next time you open your big mouth?" The mage stormed off without hearing the rest of the conversation.

Rumar watched Terenon storm off with bland eye and visage. "He should learn to control his temper, especially during such an important matter. Perhaps one of you should go after him before he stumbles into something he can't handle once more.”

Allanon moved to follow Terenon, but he paused to look back at Rumar. “I did not insist on going after the treasure. I merely stuck with the party. I’m sure Philosten would have been fine for another few minutes.” He turned away as he left the room.

Jelani looked at Rumar and shrugged. “While I enjoy the philosophical debates that your presence engenders, Rumar, I’m afraid that I must agree with Terenon on this one. The mage’s return to Silverymoon, or any place with a sizable population for that matter, could easily spell disaster in the long run. Though I feel for his plight, I’m afraid that he must bear this place a bit longer. I understand how you might consider that we’re just looking for treasure, but did you ever think that perhaps that was just a coincidence that the treasury was the first room we encountered?” Shaking his head, Jelani continued. “I understand that patience is considered a virtue to those who follow your path. Might I suggest you practice that now? In the end, it is your decision, and there’s nothing I or anyone else can do to change that, but it is my decision to reserve my aid for those who have care for what we’re doing.” Not really waiting for a response, he followed after Terenon, though without the anger.

Philosten watched the argument helplessly. Once the mages had left, he coughed lightly. "Well. I didn't mean to be the cause of such a heated debate. Nesme is just as far away as Silverymoon: if it will help your cause, I can head there instead. And I can stay quiet on the matter of my imprisonment. I will try to keep a low profile; seems I've caused much trouble already just by being here.”

“No Philosten,” said Rhys, “you haven't caused any trouble. Our only concern is to see that you are able to rest and recover while keeping your ordeal safe from prying eyes. Some of us forget what you've had to endure these past few weeks.”

Grundar looked at the door, then back to the haggard mage and the aasimars. “Philosten, we don't mean to just leave you, but this place needs to be secured as fast as possible and we need to find out as much as we can before the dragon's troops find out that the Acolytes have been destroyed. We are expecting someone the Acolytes hired to arrive here soon. I just hope he's going to turn back once he finds out his employers are dead."

"A shame," Rumar said, shaking his head as Grundar followed the mages out the door. "I had hoped that pointing out this man's plight might make them realize the error in their priorities, yet they merely grew angry and defensive. I suppose I shall have to try a different approach. Oh well,” he continued, nodding at Rhys. “At least I am not entirely alone in this matter of moral debate."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allanon and Jelani found Terenon standing out in the hall rubbing his neck. His face was flush, so the mage cast a minor spell. A soft mist of water sprayed forth from his hand and Terenon used it to cool off. He turned as his companions approached. "Sorry for losing my temper. It just got to me when he kept implying that we are nothing but money grubbing opportunists. I mean, I died a horrible death trying to save others and that... Sorry, let’s just forget it and move on."

Jelani nodded. “It’s really not your fault, he just refuses to see that we are not asking the man to sacrifice his life or well being, we are just simply asking that he delay his return to civilization until we are finished dealing with the immediate threat.” He shook his head sadly, “I don’t understand how people walk through life so ignorant of how the world works.”

Terenon nodded in agreement. "The control of my emotions is my responsibility. It is important to me and my decision making that I think objectively. It was embarrassing for me to lose my temper. I can't let him get to me in such ways."

Rhys and Rumar emerged from the prison and moved to join the rest of the group. Rumar looked at Terenon for a long moment, then turned to the others. “Philosten will stay in the prison until we are ready to return to Silverymoon. We will then take him with us and ensure his safety.”

Terenon nodded. “Fine then. Where to next, Grundar?”

The elf smiled. “We’ll stop by to get the sword and armor from those tongue-creeps, then check out the last room on the top level. From there, we find the crypt to inter the mage’s skeleton, and then we face the hydra and the Frog-Lord.”

“Let’s get started then,” said Terenon.

Last edited:

Great update and nice debating

You did it again, ltclnlbrain. Another great update and one that I am glad to have read before voting for my favorite character. I actually like all the characters in the game, but the moral debate around Philosten just had me finally choosing for Rumar. His reasoning is the same as A'vandira would and indeed already did follow in similar circumstances, and I really liked the way he voiced his opinion and
"A shame," Rumar said, shaking his head as Grundar followed the mages out the door. "I had hoped that pointing out this man's plight might make them realize the error in their priorities, yet they merely grew angry and defensive. I suppose I shall have to try a different approach. Oh well,” he continued, nodding at Rhys. “At least I am not entirely alone in this matter of moral debate."
this part had me completely on his side. The paladin that sees both Law and Goodness without compromise or shades of grey. (In the campaign I play in, it took the direct intervention (a voice in my mind) of my god to prevent me from going insane over my inability to save a group of slaves from their troll captors. Trying would have meant instantly dying and now our party is preparing to free the remaining slaves at last, but I still have a gnawing feeling of guilt inside. Was a great piece of RP-ing to be seen in that particular session).

Terenon

First Post
Moral Discussions

That was a fun argument to have. Rumar did a great job in maintaining his character without going over the top. I see people who play paladin who are rumove all humanity out of the characters. They become cartoonish in thier behavior. I think that roleplaying wise, Paladins are the hardest to play believably. Rumar does really good job at it.

Remove ads